Will you be having the covid vaccine?

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Well you are in a pretty small minority of people if you are not convinced the jab works and saves lives. The data worldwide is overwhelmingly convincing. 

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I was chatting to a pal the other day and the subject of those who don’t believe the vaccine works came up. I thought is reply rather good. 

“It be must  be very  difficult to breath when your head is stuck in sand” ;)

:goodpost:

13 minutes ago, Lutz said:
3 hours ago, Lutz said:

I finally got dates for my two jabs with Moderna yesterday, although I must admit I'm only getting it done to make travel a bit easier, not because I'm truly convinced.

I haven’t seen any data that shows how much more effective vaccination is than lockdowns. Until I do I will continue my own lockdown regardless of any relaxation, so no eating out in restaurants or a drink in the pub for me for the next year.

Personally I am please I've taken up the option to have the jabs as I want society to return to some kind of normality, and I guess by the reason you give for having the jabs - so do you!

Obviously if you prefer lockdowns then I guess that's your decision.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

27 minutes ago, Gordon said:

:goodpost:

Personally I am please I've taken up the option to have the jabs as I want society to return to some kind of normality, and I guess by the reason you give for having the jabs - so do you!

Obviously if you prefer lockdowns then I guess that's your decision.

At least a lockdown is something that I can rely on, but I‘m scared of possible side effects that may appear years after vaccination. It’s all gone too quickly for me. If the vaccine were already around for a couple of years I would have been the first to join the queue.

15 minutes ago, Lutz said:

It’s all gone too quickly for me. If the vaccine were already around for a couple of years I would have been the first to join the queue.

The vaccine has been around for years, the COVId19 version is a modified vaccine that has been know about for 50 years.

Researchers were not starting from scratch when they learned about SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

SARS-CoV-2 is a member of the coronavirus family, there are hundreds of coronaviruses — including four that can cause the common cold, as well as the coronaviruses that sparked the SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, epidemic in 2002 and the emergence of MERS, or Middle East respiratory syndrome, in 2012.

Scientists have been studying coronaviruses for over 50 years. This meant scientists had existing data on the structure, genome, and life cycle of this type of virus.

Research on these viruses established the importance of the viral spike (S) protein in viral attachment, fusion, and entry, and identified the S proteins as a target for the development of antibody therapies and vaccines.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

I'm just thankful that the majority of folk are having the jab. When this all started, the over 70's were asked to sign a DNR by a doctor on TV because he said that there wasn't enough oxygen etc. to go around so to make it easier for the NHS we were asked to more or less opt out of treatment. We tried to get the shopping delivered, but couldn't get it for love nor money. I had to isolate so my OH went to Sainsbury's at  6.30 am once a fortnight, my family couldn't visit  and we were very much on our own.  We put a lot of things in order and said that if either of us go into hospital , then we would say our goodbyes .  When I did eventually venture out my confidence had hit rock bottom and talking to other  folk  we find that there were plenty of other people that had been through a similar experience.  I don't want to go through that again, it frightened me , so to all those who have had the jab, thank you, especially to those who for one reason or another don't want it but are having it anyway, thank you. 

As I said, my name is on the list, but to be honest I‘m more scared of the vaccination than of catching the virus. Literally everyone that I know who has had a jab suffered from after effects. The SIL was even hospitalised.

1 hour ago, Lutz said:

As I said, my name is on the list, but to be honest I‘m more scared of the vaccination than of catching the virus. Literally everyone that I know who has had a jab suffered from after effects. The SIL was even hospitalised.

I bet there are tens of millions (like me) who have had no side effects whatsoever so that argument holds no water at all. 

So what will happen if, in say 6 months time, you are in close proximity of someone who is unvaccinated “because it hasn’t been around long enough” and actually has Covid and passes it on to you?  Where does your reliance on lockdown stand you then eh?

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

10 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I bet there are tens of millions (like me) who have had no side effects whatsoever so that argument holds no water at all. 

So what will happen if, in say 6 months time, you are in close proximity of someone who is unvaccinated “because it hasn’t been around long enough” and actually has Covid and passes it on to you?  Where does your reliance on lockdown stand you then eh?

...but Lutz is not trying to argue with us, merely explaining why he has concerns.  Refreshingly honest methinks.  Fear, whether rational or not, is still fear and were all my relatives affected by the jab, I reckon I might well have a few thoughts!

2 hours ago, Lutz said:

Which vaccine is causing the problems? 

7 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Which vaccine is causing the problems? 

The SIL (she's 78) that was hospitalised had AZ. The other SIL (in her mid-60's) had BioNTech/Pfizer. She had a temperature for a couple of days and complained about a splitting headache and aching joints. I don't know what the others had that reported similar symptoms.

20 minutes ago, Lutz said:

The SIL (she's 78) that was hospitalised had AZ. The other SIL (in her mid-60's) had BioNTech/Pfizer. She had a temperature for a couple of days and complained about a splitting headache and aching joints. I don't know what the others had that reported similar symptoms.

But those are regular symptoms seen with other jabs. I had a similar thing for a couple of days  after holiday jabs, before going to Mauritius .

3 hours ago, SamD said:

...but Lutz is not trying to argue with us, merely explaining why he has concerns.  Refreshingly honest methinks.  Fear, whether rational or not, is still fear and were all my relatives affected by the jab, I reckon I might well have a few thoughts!

Just trying to inject a bit of logic into the situation by pointing out the other point of view. 

1 hour ago, Towtug said:

But those are regular symptoms seen with other jabs. I had a similar thing for a couple of days  after holiday jabs, before going to Mauritius .

The "regular symptoms" don't worry me as much as the 579 deaths so far directly attributed to vaccination. OK, there were more deaths due to Covid during the same period, but for me that's a weak argument. Maybe we can expect improvements to the vaccine in the foreseeable future that will avoid such results.

I just play the odds.

Multiple millions vaccinated and that has been proven to lessen the effects of Covid if you contract it, versus a minute proportion who have died after (but certainly not proven because of) being vaccinated. 

Personal choice if course, my choice is to lessen the chances of contracting an evil virus that could kill me. I have had both jabs (A.Z.) no side effects at all. 

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Just trying to inject a bit of logic into the situation by pointing out the other point of view. 

Yes I know that and support your view and judgement.  The fact, though, remains that we are entitled to our own view and Lutz is not trying to enforce anti-vaxer views on you - fat chance of success!!;)

1 hour ago, Lutz said:

The "regular symptoms" don't worry me as much as the 579 deaths so far directly attributed to vaccination. OK, there were more deaths due to Covid during the same period, but for me that's a weak argument. Maybe we can expect improvements to the vaccine in the foreseeable future that will avoid such results.

Are you sure the deaths you refer to are "directly"  attributable.  I've read loads about this since my first AZ jab and I havent seen any report that even comes close to proving causality.  I have however read the evidence provided by PHE that shows 13k deaths in over 60s prevented, and a reduction of 40k in hospitalization for the same group.

5 hours ago, SamD said:

I have every sympathy with Lutz, it is an understandable worry - any new drug, medication, vaccine (or computer programme..)can be tested to exhaustion, but when it starts real-life use in the wider population unexpected problems may pop up.

On that basis, at the start of 2020, I was saying, "If they get a vaccine, I'll wait for a few years before I have it".

At the start of 2021, I was anxiously waiting my vaccine appointment.

All that had changed was that I realised the immediate risk of Covid was greater than the potential risks of side effects from a vaccine.

Statistically, the risk of the vaccine is much, much less than the risk of being involved in a road traffic accident - but driving is familiar to us, so we don't really worry about it.

For the record, DH had Pfizer, no reaction to either jab.

I had AstraZ, no reaction to first jab, reaction to 2nd (really bad headache whole side of face, very cold. Started 12 hours after jab, lasted overnight, fine next morning).(I was very annoyed about it, too - I simply don't get side effects or reactions!).

Personal experience suggests there is no real pattern to any side effects suffered. I had Pfizer - nothing with first jab, some initial mild tiredness with second, nothing else. SHMBO had AZ and suffered flu like symptoms for a couple of days with first jab, nothing with second.

Discussions with friends suggests a similar random effect, something or nothing. I've heard of very little significant side effects first hand but that's not to suggest some people haven't suffered.

BUT all in all whatever side effects may be happening, vaccination has got to be a good thing, and certainly better jabbed than not. The problem is it's a world problem and I can't see us as a whole beating this thing unless high vaccination rates becomes widespread across the world. 

As an indication of the problem, we have a holiday booked in Vietnam for 2022 (a limited availability special trip we've been planning for some time) and that country currently has 0.6% of the population vaccinated. Doesn't fill one with confidence does it?

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Anyone heard of a single death from the vaccination? 

Or even the Lutz figure in excess of 500?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

There have been some deaths of people after they have been vaccinated, but, to the best of my knowledge, there has been no verifiable link between the deaths and the vaccine  (just anecdotal supposition ) 

Deaths after vaccination are obvious with over 35m vaccinated. 

But that wasn't what I asked. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

21 hours ago, joanie said:

I'm just thankful that the majority of folk are having the jab. When this all started, the over 70's were asked to sign a DNR by a doctor on TV because he said that there wasn't enough oxygen etc. to go around so to make it easier for the NHS we were asked to more or less opt out of treatment. We tried to get the shopping delivered, but couldn't get it for love nor money. I had to isolate so my OH went to Sainsbury's at  6.30 am once a fortnight, my family couldn't visit  and we were very much on our own.  We put a lot of things in order and said that if either of us go into hospital , then we would say our goodbyes .  When I did eventually venture out my confidence had hit rock bottom and talking to other  folk  we find that there were plenty of other people that had been through a similar experience.  I don't want to go through that again, it frightened me , so to all those who have had the jab, thank you, especially to those who for one reason or another don't want it but are having it anyway, thank you. 

Thankyou Joanie for sharing your very personal account of how you felt and how you understood the possibility of a poor outcome.

14 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I just play the odds.

Personal choice if course, my choice is to lessen the chances of contracting an evil virus that could kill me. I have had both jabs (A.Z.) no side effects at all. 

I was convinced right from the outset that we were in this for the long haul, and that is why I was advocating a stay at home policy before there were any government instructions to isolate or restrict travel. I felt that any unnecessary movement around the world, or indeed within the UK - whether for business or pleasure - was irresponsible and in the light of the seriousness of the coronavirus outbreak, could ultimately only make things worse for us all. I am told that the name choice of Covid-19 relates to the 19th version that had been sequenced BUT at the time I believed it related to a variant discovered in 2019 - implying to me that this was known about long before it was acknowledged in the spring of 2020. That misunderstanding convinced me to distance myself from everybody, and avoid any trips into populated areas. I believe that generally our government has made the right decisions given the information they had at the time, and although I disagreed with initially allowing Christmas visits to go ahead, I can understand the reasoning. Time will doubtless show that things could have been handled better had the information we have today been available but we cannot turn back the clock. Despite the assertions in Matt Handcock's recent speech about the UK acting in unity, I fear that was not the impression I had at the time when devolved parliaments of Wales and Scotland and the NI Assembly did not have the same rules as imposed by Westminster. 

12 hours ago, 2seaside said:

I realised the immediate risk of Covid was greater than the potential risks of side effects from a vaccine.

I agree that the risk of having a jab (or two, or more) is much much less than not taking any precautions, and one consequence of having a country with free speech is that false information can be freely spread. I liken it to the statement that, "all caravans are damp", when it only takes a small proportion of vocal complaints to give that impression, when those with unaffected caravans say nowt!

As far as freedom of choice goes, I have to accept everybody can choose whether to have a jab or not but as MrPlodd said earlier, "I just play the odds" and to me the evidence was (is) overwhelming that to accept inoculation was a far lower risk that refusing it. All vaccines have side effects but given the millions that have now received the Covid-19 vaccine without any side effects, and including those that did feel unwell but are still alive, compared with the odds of survival if the full blown virus was contracted, for me it was a no-brainer. I am therefore delighted that I have received two free doses now thanks to the NHS that is there for us all, even those who have not contributed financially to its running.

Members will know, I have been receiving daily emails from the UK Government regarding the coronavirus situation and give an understanding for the reasons that various decisions were taken. These publications have been copied for all to read in the pinned Covid-19 thread and while most will not apply to everybody, taking time to read them does give a better understanding of what we have all been facing.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Just to add my own experience to the pile  & to temper any possible euphoria:

I actually had a bad case of covid in March 2020 that took a month to show any signs of recovery, & 6 months to get over it to any extent. By the time the first Pfizer jab was administered (left arm) in February 2021 I was, apart from frequent bouts of fatigue, pretty much recovered. I gather it now goes by the name of 'long covid' which apparently make if more acceptable (sick). There were no noticeable side effects at all from the first  jab. I have to say it was made to be as pleasant, even enjoyable, an experience as is possible!

Then came the 2nd jab in April......this was a totally different experience! The next day I felt a bit rough & my arm ached, this lasted several days. After a week I was feeling better but existing mild medical conditions, egg, arthritis & myopia, were  worsening as time  went on. After 1 month I suffered a painful bout of sciatica lasting over 3 weeks, (my one & only bout ever!). Since then the arm (& fingers) I had the jab in have worsened to the point of being in continuous pain, with the other arm/fingers & feet catching up fast. rheumatoid arthritis has been diagnosed & is likely to be for life. I’m having extreme difficulty in passing this off as a coincidence.

It is now accepted, by the medical profession, that existing conditions can become worse after the jabs, especially if a bout of covid has also been previously experienced (which itself may cause worse reaction to the jabs). Even Parkinson’s & Dementia have been mentioned. So, although I'm still totally in favour of the jabs, as an over-all benefit to us all, it should be born in mind that it's not all plain sailing & there are some people out there paying the price, many a very great deal  more so than I am.

I had my first vaccine March 29th (AZ) I didn’t have any after effects at all but 

then I  lost all taste and smell on Sat 3rd April, I tested positive and had to isolate with the kids for 12 days.  (It’s only me and the kids) spending most the easter hols inside the house wasn’t very nice for us all 😬

so I reckon I was possibly positive when I went for the first vaccine but didn’t know as I didn’t have any symptoms .

My 2nd vaccine is June 14th. 

I still have absolutely no taste or smell.

my partners daughter lost all her taste and smell in November after testing positive, it all came back like someone flicking a switch 2 weeks ago. 

I could be in for a tasteless and smell less summer / autumn 

To balance things out, I had a triple bypass operation in Aug 2019. I have recovered well and have continued to exercise and gradually grow stronger during lockdown. I had my first jab (AZ) on the 8th Feb this year and, apart from an aching left arm, I had absolutely no reaction. I was called for my second jab on 28th Apr and I didn't even feel the needle. Since then I've had absolutely no reaction whatsoever. My neighbour who is in his mid 40s has had his first jab and had no reaction at all, while two of his workmates, also in their early 40s, both had to take time off work due to reactions to the jab. He assured me that neither of his workmates are the type to suffer from "man flu".

Most of the people I've spoken to have said the same thing, people over the age of 50 seem to have little or no reaction to the jab, while others in the under 50 age group seen to be the ones suffering with reactions to the jab, (I'm 71.)

Myself 54 years young with no reaction to either of the two jabs....but in contrast a family friend aged 57 reacted to the second jab with mild flu symptoms and 48 hours of tiredness-no logical reasons for the differences.