Will you be having the covid vaccine?

12 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I travelled over 20 miles for my vaccination, and was more than happy to do so. 

I would have done the same BUT instead my wife had to travel 5 miles out of town to a small village hall for her jab, and I was sent 9 miles in the opposite direction to a sports stadium for mine - our surgery is half a mile from our house in town and situated adjacent to a community hall that has remained securely locked and unused by anybody for many months, despite being large and having an open parking area opposite. There was no public transport to either location where we were vaccinated, so without our own transport there would have been a significant problem for both of us. This is not a complaint but rather, an observation that things have not been ideal for many people as often the choice of vaccination centres have not been well thought through.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No way on this earth would I let them give me this vaccine.    99.7 chance of survival Covid 19  that's good odds.   Danny  

This has not been rushed by the govt. You surely don't believe the govt has any thing to do with the development and testing of this vaccine. It has had normal proper testing that any vaccine has. 

Posted Images

my OH had his at the surgery but I had mine at the local council offices, which I thought was a great idea.  They took over the ground floor although the council workers were still using the rest of the building.  They were so organised it was fantastic, the parking was at a nearby sports centre .

2 minutes ago, joanie said:

my OH had his at the surgery but I had mine at the local council offices, which I thought was a great idea.  They took over the ground floor although the council workers were still using the rest of the building.  They were so organised it was fantastic, the parking was at a nearby sports centre .

:goodpost:

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

On 24/04/2021 at 19:43, Mr Plodd said:

I travelled over 20 miles for my vaccination, and was more than happy to do so. 

I would have travelled for over 50 miles to get my vaccination done if it had disabled parking next door and I didn't have to leave my husband on his own at home.   Given that he is getting more housebound, takes about 20 minutes to get in the car, is in pain every time I drive over a bump in the road and cannot walk more than a few steps,  a home visit as suggested by the doctor,  was the best option.   

I had my second AZ jab 4 days ago, and just like the first jab - no side effects.

Maybe I got the placebo instead of the real thing ? :)

Had a phone call yesterday afternoon, (Weds 28th), "We can see you've got an appointment for your second jab on Friday 30th, can you possibly come in this afternoon as we've had a "no show" and we don't want to waste a jab." As I live 80 yards from the surgery, I put my boots on and walked there. Doctor was waiting inside the door and she led me into the consultation room. Quick check to see if I'd had any reaction to the first jab, needle in the arm, information added to my card and a very big thank you for coming in at short notice. Returned home and the kettle hadn't even finished boiling for a cup of tea. Still no reaction at all this morning, (fingers crossed!!) Just waiting for the booster jab now as announced on the news yesterday.:):)

Away in the caravan at present. Heading off for second jab after lunch! Only 25 miles!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

My youngest son, who lives in Salisbury, had a letter to ring for an appointment yesterday.  When he rang up, there were none in Salisbury so they offered the Isle of Wight or Portsmouth.   He doesn't have a car,  has a very limited income because he has mental health problems and cannot work.    How is he expected to get to one of those places?  My eldest son, who lives in the centre of Southampton, also rang me last night and he said that when he rang up for an appointment,  they offered him Salisbury!   It just doesn't make sense!

1 hour ago, Paulines7 said:

My youngest son, who lives in Salisbury, had a letter to ring for an appointment yesterday. . . they offered the Isle of Wight or Portsmouth. He doesn't have a car. . . 

My eldest son, who lives in the centre of Southampton . . .  said that when he rang up for an appointment,  they offered him Salisbury!   It just doesn't make sense!

I agree that some decisions do appear to be illogical. My wife was sent 5 miles south out of town for her jabs, while I was sent 9 miles north out of town for mine. Neither of the vaccination centres are on bus routes yet a community centre adjacent to our surgery on the edge of town has remained unused throughout.

That said, I believe that the government have carried out a sterling service given that almost 50,000,000 doses have been administered so far with a 94% uptake for all over 50s. That's a staggering statistic in the time given the scale of the problem. Under the circumstances, I think I can forgive them a few local niggles.

Double AZ jabbed and no side effects, same for my wife.

Wife and myself had our second yesterday, AZ, achy arm today but no other effects.

Our second ones are on Saturday, we had texts to remind us.

A couple of miles pleasant walk or slightly further in car depending on the weather.

I've had both AZ jabs now with no side effects at all. Not even a sore arm, so I was well impressed. Our local surgery near Norwich has an excellent set up , so well organised with car park attendants, checking in people, and the whole process only took minutes. Its times like this when it makes you proud to be British and marvel at how lucky we are to have a National Health Service.  I take my hat off to all those involved and although there are issues, we must remember this is a pandemic like this country has not seen in our life time. I think as a Nation we have risen to the challenge with true British Bulldog spirit.

Went for my second jab today. Away in the caravan in Bibury and had to go to my surgery in Yate. About 25 miles! Left allowing plenty of time as it was school clearing out time. Got to the surgery 25 minutes early! I apologised but was taken straight in. Jabbed. Told to sit in the car for ten minutes! Then straight back to the caravan for wine and supper!

Site we are on is Orchard CL, used to be called Greenacres CL.

Not the site it once was, but still ok!

Edited by PR1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

12 hours ago, Gordon said:

I agree that some decisions do appear to be illogical. My wife was sent 5 miles south out of town for her jabs, while I was sent 9 miles north out of town for mine. Neither of the vaccination centres are on bus routes yet a community centre adjacent to our surgery on the edge of town has remained unused throughout.

That said, I believe that the government have carried out a sterling service given that almost 50,000,000 doses have been administered so far with a 94% uptake for all over 50s. That's a staggering statistic in the time given the scale of the problem. Under the circumstances, I think I can forgive them a few local niggles.

Gordon, I think the people arranging the vaccinations assume that everyone has a car these days or can afford a taxi.

I agree with your second paragraph but would say that the NHS deserves the most praise because they organised the actual vaccinations of all these people.   A mammoth task for them.   I think the reason that my youngest son was offered his jab at the Isle of Wight or Portsmouth (both 43 miles away) is probably because the people manning the vaccination service probably don't live in the area and don't realise how far these places are from Salisbury.    However, my son rang another number this afternoon and they have arranged for him to have his vaccination in Salisbury tomorrow.   

I think it is not the NHS organisation itself which deserves the praise, it is the people on the sharp end who have consistently gone above and beyond their job description to get things done, struggling with setting up hubs, arranging lists, coping with two separate systems (NHS and GP) and frequent failures of communication in the supply chain.

Talking to people who work at the sharp end, the reason we are getting vaccinated as quickly and efficiently as we are is because they have years of experience coping with the NHS "system" and finding ways to manage things that actually work - rather then the way things were set up for them.

I am very grateful for the NHS - but I am even more grateful for, and impressed by, the amazing people that work there and that have coped remarkably well with a situation that nobody has ever been in before.

On 30/04/2021 at 03:18, Paulines7 said:

Gordon, I think the people arranging the vaccinations assume that everyone has a car these days or can afford a taxi.

I agree with your second paragraph but would say that the NHS deserves the most praise because they organised the actual vaccinations of all these people.   A mammoth task for them.   I think the reason that my youngest son was offered his jab at the Isle of Wight or Portsmouth (both 43 miles away) is probably because the people manning the vaccination service probably don't live in the area and don't realise how far these places are from Salisbury.    However, my son rang another number this afternoon and they have arranged for him to have his vaccination in Salisbury tomorrow.   

I tend to think that where people go is not necessarily a personal choice by medical staff, but rather an automated computer program bases solely upon straight line distance from the patient's address. Whatever the reason, the important thing is that vaccines are being administered free of charge throughout the UK to all that will accept them.

23 hours ago, 2seaside said:

I think it is not the NHS organisation itself which deserves the praise, it is the people on the sharp end who have consistently gone above and beyond their job description

I agree it is the medical staff that make up the NHS, and the same staff that in more normal times are under valued and have to contend with a sluggish administration.

Link to Matt Hanckck's speech

Posted (edited)

We have two vaccination hubs nearby. The larger one is located on an existing NHS site and serves the wider area. It is open everyday with bookings made via the main NHS booking service. They use Astra Zeneca.

The smaller one is located in a community centre and operates one or two days a week. It is jointly run by all the local GP surgeries. They have identified their clinically extremely vulnerable, clinically vulnerable and generally vulnerable plus housebound patients and the unpaid carers. They ring to invite you to both appointments (Pfizer vaccine) or to arrange home visits for the housebound (AZ). The day my wife (clinically vulnerable) and I (unpaid carer) attended the GP hub for the first dose we also received letters from the NHS inviting us to book an appointment at their hub online or by phone. Currently the GP hub second appointments are being brought forward by two weeks. We're hoping for a phone call next week for round 2.

Edited by Legal Eagle

First OAZ jabs, both of us slightly hungover the next day, no worse than a night out.

Second jabs three days back, nothing at all this time.

Only difference with second serving was that we were told that if we were driving to wait 15 minutes, something to do with an adverse reaction somewhere.

Told not necessary to wait the 15 minutes when we had the first.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Told not necessary to wait the 15 minutes when we had the first.

Our GP hub (Pfizer) has a socially distanced seated waiting area. After the vaccine you are told to wait there 15 minutes then take your form (issued on arrival) to the 'exit' desk to get the vaccine card issued (1st time) or updated (2nd time). There are always two doctors present just in case of a medical emergency.

there seems to be a lot of different ways in which to get your appointment. Mine was very official , by letter, my OH was by phone each time,  My son, as soon as they said they were ready to do his group,  he went on line , made both appointments on a Friday at a place near where he works, so efficient. 

13 minutes ago, joanie said:

there seems to be a lot of different ways in which to get your appointment. Mine was very official , by letter, my OH was by phone each time,  My son, as soon as they said they were ready to do his group,  he went on line , made both appointments on a Friday at a place near where he works, so efficient. 

Both my wife and i received texts with a link, when we booked the first appointment (available on the same day we got the text) we received confirmation of the appointment and a date and time for the second one too.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

I didn’t have any side effects from my to AZ jabs. I wouldn’t have minded in the slightest if I had. Better a minor side effect than full blown Covid. 

At least my “tracker nano chips”  are now active thanks to the stuff in the second jab energising them so the Govt will now know where I am.

Got to go now, having tea with Piers Corbyn and David Icke ;)

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Got to go now, having tea with Piers Corbyn and David Icke ;)

...who have probably had their jabs, on the quiet!

We had our second vaccinations  today. It was busy but very well organised, you checked in and sat in distanced rows of seats until called through. We were there about 1.5 hours, no one complained!

The staff were very friendly and helpful, our thanks to them.

My wife knew the Health Visitor who checked her in from her last nursing job.