Will you be having the covid vaccine?

We had the AZ one,  because I drove to the centre they asked us to wait for 15 minutes. 

We sat in the car it , was really cold so the engine was on for heat.

I will write an abject letter of apology to Greta Grumbleberg for this heinous crime !

Edited by 664DaveS

A few hours after having my Oxfordshire vaccine and I've shifted 3 tonnes of stone to the bottom of the garden (the vaccine didn't make me do this, it needed doing). If I feel ill tomorrow i'm not sure if I dare phone in sick as I work from home and can work from my bed.

On 28/02/2021 at 12:54, Brecon said:

"Patients receiving the Oxford vaccine do not need to be monitored for 15 minutes after getting the jab, the NHS has confirmed.

The 15-minute policy was established , when the first Britons began to receive the Pfizer vaccine, in case patients suffered a dangerous allergic reaction."

I had my Oxford jab a couple of weeks ago and was not required to wait any time after, just went home again.

Unless the policy has changed when I had the AstraZeneca vaccine a couple of weeks ago, then anybody driving themselves to the appointment was still being required to wait 15 minutes after the jab, those who had a lift home did not. My wife received her AZ jab is January but she did not have to wait, as I had driven her there.

The side effects for me were a sore arm (like being punched) for the rest of the day, and muscles aching all over for several days. My wife had no reaction at all and has been fine. We both are still at home at home and will probably stay like that for some weeks, while looking forward to a time we can escape safely to the UK countryside again.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I have an aching upper arm and I felt really tired last night and had interrupted sleep all through the night. Was hoping to be able to phone in sick today, but sadly I feel much better.

We had the Pfizer BioNTech early last Thursday morning. Everyone then had to wait 15 minutes before being able to collect their vaccination card.

Wife developed a slight headache for the rest of that day and part of Friday morning before it cleared. I only experienced tenderness to the touch at the injection site but it had gone when I woke up Friday morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my jab in Monday. A well oiled machine at the East of England showground. Was in and out in half an hour. Had to wait 15 minutes after having the jab.  Astra/Zeneca jab was given.

Only side effect so far, was not being able to sleep on Monday night. 

Edited by Lady Bird

Very strange. Sister-in-law had her first jab on 11th Feb at the same time as my Mrs, (they're twins, 67 years old. Both had it at the Newport Centre vaccination centre). SIL has just rung and she's had a letter this morning offering her second jab on 17th Mar, (she rang them and checked, it IS for her second jab). Just waiting for our post to see if my Mrs gets a similar letter today. I had my first jab at my surgery on 8th Feb and have been given an appointment for my second jab on 26th April, (I'm 71). Strange or what?

Update. My Mrs received the letter in the post inviting her for her second jab on 17th March.

7 hours ago, Lady Bird said:

Had my jab in Monday. A well oiled machine at the East of England showground. Was in and out in half an hour. Had to wait 15 minutes after having the jab.  Astra/Zeneca jab was given.

Only side effect so far, was not being able to sleep on Monday night. 

I got lucky and had a 1st jab on Monday evening. It was the AZ and guess what, I couldn't sleep Monday night or last night! Is it a documented side effect? 

Yes. I had mine in Jan and had one night's slightly feverish sleep with a sore arm. But side effects have been more prevalent than the flu jab. But nothing really serious normally. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Fair enough. Thankfully I've had no other side effects, but not sleeping for no apparent reason is quite frustrating. Wife went to bed at 6pm last night aching and shivering 😂 We're early to mid 30s... 

Small sample poll of friends indicates people are getting little or no side effects from Pfizer jab (other than minor sore jab location) whereas AZ patients are suffering a day or two of mild discomfort - headache, feverish.

Personal experience concurs with this - I had Pfizer, SWMBO had AZ - guess who's not happy? :D

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

14 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

Small sample poll of friends indicates people are getting little or no side effects from Pfizer jab (other than minor sore jab location) whereas AZ patients are suffering a day or two of mild discomfort - headache, feverish.

Personal experience concurs with this - I had Pfizer, SWMBO had AZ - guess who's not happy? :D

OK .. I admit I am only one in several million ,, I had the Oxford jab and had no side effect whatsoever other than feeling (perhaps) a very slight awarenss at the injection spot on my arm if I concentrated on it .. 

27 minutes ago, discokiddie said:

OK .. I admit I am only one in several million ,, I had the Oxford jab and had no side effect whatsoever other than feeling (perhaps) a very slight awarenss at the injection spot on my arm if I concentrated on it .. 

Same with me my wife my dad and brother all AZ no side effects 

1 hour ago, SilverSurfer said:

Same with me my wife my dad and brother all AZ no side effects 

I don’t think we can directly judge one vaccine’s side effects against another’s.  
By far the biggest variables are the recipients.  Health, immune system, previous vaccinations, daily medications....there’s a whole host of parameters that will determine what side effects you may or may not get.

We had the Pfizer because there was surplus stock at the end of the day at the hospital which they needed to use, due to shelf life.  Now waiting for the second dose.

That said, the Pfizer vaccine won’t be the  Covid vaccine of choice in the future, unless it’s modified. Its restrictive storage requirements make it non viable asa global vaccine ...except in these extraordinarily times when anything goes.

So we better all get used to AZ next year.

Edited by ericfield

Whether your arm hurts after a jab might be down to the skill of the person giving it. We had the AZ one at the Lincs showground and I usually watch when needles are put in my arms but when I turned my head to watch I had missed it and had not felt anything and did not feel sore later. Mrs P had a different nurse and after she said if she prodded her arm it felt a bit sore. That night I started shivering for a while followed by feeling warm through the night and a head ache (took paracetamol as advised) but ok the next day and carried on as normal. Mrs P no side effects at all. A brother and his wife had the Pfizer one, she had an itchy arm, his hurt a bit and he had a tight chest for a week so we are all different in how we are affected.

Wife and I both had AZ vaccine at the beginning of February - no adverse reactions at all.

I had the Astra one on Tuesday afternoon, felt OK but woke up in the night with what felt full blown flu.  Shivering, fever, aching all over, terrible headache and sore throat (and sore arm).  Continued all day yesterday and had to stay in bed all day yesterday and temperature was 100.5.  

Thankfully today this has now cleared up and I just feel a bit weak and tired.  The side effects were pretty horrendous in my case.  But don't tell the anti-vaxxers!  I am still glad I had it.  Weird though how if effects people differently, I wonder if it is indicative of a bad case of Covid if I had caught it.

My husband had the Pfzier and had no side effects.

4 minutes ago, meadowsweet said:

The side effects were pretty horrendous in my case.  But don't tell the anti-vaxxers!  I am still glad I had it.  Weird though how if effects people differently, I wonder if it is indicative of a bad case of Covid if I had caught it.

Probably sums up this strange illness in a nutshell (or rather a CT post!)

13 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

Whether your arm hurts after a jab might be down to the skill of the person giving it. We had the AZ one at the Lincs showground and I usually watch when needles are put in my arms but when I turned my head to watch I had missed it and had not felt anything and did not feel sore later. Mrs P had a different nurse and after she said if she prodded her arm it felt a bit sore. That night I started shivering for a while followed by feeling warm through the night and a head ache (took paracetamol as advised) but ok the next day and carried on as normal. Mrs P no side effects at all. A brother and his wife had the Pfizer one, she had an itchy arm, his hurt a bit and he had a tight chest for a week so we are all different in how we are affected.

And the temperature of the vaccine. I remember having regular anti-tetanus shots back in the 70s and very soon asked the nurse to warm the vial in her hand after it came out of the fridge before giving the injection......far less painful in the bum.

Edited by ericfield

Had mine yesterday, stated feeling bad last night and not so good today either. I felt better when I had the virus.

I have been given my first vaccination on Saturday afternoon.

No ill effects felt fortunately.

Just as a matter of interest, has anyone experienced delayed side effects? By ‘delayed’ I mean a 3 weeks after the vaccination.  Of course it may be a coincidence but both my wife and I experienced 24 hours of cold / shivers flu like symptoms 3 weeks after both having the Pfizer vaccine. We had no ill effects except sore arm immediately after the injection.

Ordinarily we would have said “we picked up something from somebody” ...but we’ve been in strict lockdown (wife has compromised immune system) only click and collecting.....so we haven’t been in contact with anyone or anything (all items coming in the house are cleaned)

It was nothing intense but very surprising we both had the same shivery/tired, really core cold feeling within 6-8 hours of each other ......but ok the next day back to normal.

It might sound daft but we did wonder if there was any significance in the fact the Pfizer vaccine was originally scheduled to have been boosted ...after 3 weeks and now it’s been stretched to 8-12 weeks? Could it be connected?

Its academic really, as we are carrying on keeping away from other people until we are allowed and have had the 2nd jab.  It would just be interesting to see in anyone else has experienced something like this.

Edited by ericfield

8 hours ago, ericfield said:

Of course it may be a coincidence but both my wife and I experienced 24 hours of cold / shivers flu like symptoms 3 weeks after both having the Pfizer vaccine. We had no ill effects except sore arm immediately after the injection.

Ericfield,

I am no medical expert but it is my understanding that it takes a couple of weeks for your body to react to the Pfizer-BioNTech jab and produce antibodies, so I wonder if what you both experienced is simply the vaccine working to protect you both. 

There is no direct comparrason but my wife and I both had our first AstraZenica jab  a while ago however apart from a sore arm and feeling 'a bit off' for a couple of days after, there have been no side effects.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

8 hours ago, ericfield said:

Just as a matter of interest, has anyone experienced delayed side effects? By ‘delayed’ I mean a 3 weeks after the vaccination.  Of course it may be a coincidence but both my wife and I experienced 24 hours of cold / shivers flu like symptoms 3 weeks after both having the Pfizer vaccine. We had no ill effects except sore arm immediately after the injection.

Ordinarily we would have said “we picked up something from somebody” ...but we’ve been in strict lockdown (wife has compromised immune system) only click and collecting.....so we haven’t been in contact with anyone or anything (all items coming in the house are cleaned)

It was nothing intense but very surprising we both had the same shivery/tired, really core cold feeling within 6-8 hours of each other ......but ok the next day back to normal.

It might sound daft but we did wonder if there was any significance in the fact the Pfizer vaccine was originally scheduled to have been boosted ...after 3 weeks and now it’s been stretched to 8-12 weeks? Could it be connected?

Its academic really, as we are carrying on keeping away from other people until we are allowed and have had the 2nd jab.  It would just be interesting to see in anyone else has experienced something like this.

all the things that you read about the vaccines are what the average person is likely to experience, but of course we are all different, so you may be right in what you say. I waited 5 weeks in between my 2  pfizer jabs and was okay on both.  Your immunity  is increasing as the weeks go by  so in my book, that's all good news.