Will you be having the covid vaccine?

1 minute ago, Stevan said:

I am not writing them off, but they simply do not figure in my personal risk calculation.

That must be nice for you. I currently have it, and have elderly parents in just that category (and neighbours come to think of it), so you will understand  why our opinions and risk calculation differ.

As a point of interest where do your figures come from?

2 hours ago, Disco Kid said:

If I am offered it, I will have the vaccine, but I don't understand the figures ...

They they say it has protected 90% of those in the trial .. how do they work that out? 

The fact that 10% haven't been protected doesn't mean that the rest have .. they may not have been exposed to the virus ......

As far as I remember the trial results as reported.    40 000 people we injected.  20 000 with the Vaccine 20 000 with a placebo.  From the 40 000, 94 have gone on to develop COVID.   When they have unblinded the trial 90% of the those infected came from the placebo group and 10% with Vaccine.  That is how they get the 90% effectiveness.   If this is true then this far exceeds what they hoped for.  50% effectiveness would have been acceptable.   

There are still hurdles the results need to be confirmed and over a longer time period.    There are also practical consideration.   The vaccine isn’t very stable so it needs to be stored at -80C not the sort of freezer you can buy in curry’s or use dry ice.   The logistical challenges are huge just think how many vials or syringes are needed and this is unforcasted demand.    It also worth bearing in mind that when the government says x million doses. 40 million ordered and 10 million by Christmas this number needs to be halved as each person needs 2 doses.  

35 minutes ago, Towtug said:

That must be nice for you. I currently have it, and have elderly parents in just that category (and neighbours come to think of it), so you will understand  why our opinions and risk calculation differ.

As a point of interest where do your figures come from?

Sorry  Stevan the last sentence should be directed to Dannyp

2 hours ago, Leedslad said:

Most of the above mentioned  +  Whooping Cough,  Yellow Fever,  Smallpox.     

My 'claim to fame' is that I was one of the 1940's trial of the Whooping Cough,  Diphtheria and Tetanus triple vaccine  !    :)

Good for you.  didn't work though :D:D   I had the jab but still had Whooping Cough when 15 yrs old.  To be fair I've never had Diptheria so that took - maybe -   Only those of us of a certain age can remember what it was like for a lot of illnesses before we had such widespread vaccines.  I certainly do not want to go back to them days if only for my grand kids sake.  Things like my School being shut for weeks because of Polio, and a good friend being on calipers for the rest of his short life due to Polio.    Ditto when some kid came down with T.B.   Getting measles that put me in the equivalent of ICU and they expected me to be blind I'm told.  Mumps and German measles were a walk in the park compared to that.   Roll on the Jab.

I remember my wife and neighbours having parties for chickenpox and measles with our girls.

I have had a jab for Covid ,will get the next one in three weeks time I don't know if I have had the real vaccine or a dummy. 40000 in the test . A medical , blood test and covid test at the start. If I have had the dummy I will have the real one as soon as I am able to.

For me and shwmbo no brainer for all those who say no way or not sure its safe ( and i have family who are in this group) if you don't have the vaccine your choice but its also your choice to decline any treatment by the NHS if you get it allow those who wanted it but were further down the list and got the virus to push you back down the list.

Despite the fact that we are both over 70 we'll wait a year of two before we have a vaccination. By that time we'll feel a bit more reassured about possible side effects that may not come to light until the vaccine has been really well established. I must admit that I'm sceptical about anything new coming from the pharmaceuticals industry for whatever treatment despite their claims and would rather wait.

I put my name forward for the trial in Wrexham hospital , had my 2 dates for the injections ,the first of which should have been tomorrow. When they found out i'd had an anaphilatic reaction many years ago they wouldn't let me join the trial. I would have the vaccine tomorrow if I could if only to get back to some sort of normal. When they tell people no jab no fly you wont be able to get a jab for all the selfish people who think it will never happen to me trying to get one. Don't these people who wont have the jab have older vunerable people to protect?

I had my flu Jab a month ago, the wife two weeks ago, she's 64 I am 63. As I am on Covid wards, numerous times a day, every day Monday through Friday. (NHS Worker) I have  signed up to the Vaccine, when it becomes available, but when it comes about I have the option to opt out? Will I opt out depends on as much information I can find out at that time?

As NHS workers front line, which I suppose means me, even though I have no direct contact with patients, but have to frequent covid wards to do my job, will be first. Personally I would like to be at the end of the NHS workers list, so I can evaluate, my fellow workers that get the vaccine first, at a personal level, then make up my mind, do I have it or not! 

There are very dangerous side effects. Particularly with Covid19. 

It's called death so I will get the vaccine the moment it is offered. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Some thoughts for those who say they will wait a year or so before wanting to have a vaccine. If they are over 50 and therefore in the vulnerable age range, then it will mean taking all the precautions as now to make sure you do not get the virus since it will not go away. For the older ones having a vaccine will mean being able to enjoy the rest of their lives, however long or short that may be. Note it is not just the really old people who are dying, sadly on the local BBC news tonight they had a man who was just 50 who died recently.

I wonder how many of those who say they will not be vaccinated are secretly relying on the rest of us to be vaccinated, thus reducing the risk to the unvaccinated.

13 minutes ago, DACS said:

I wonder how many of those who say they will not be vaccinated are secretly relying on the rest of us to be vaccinated, thus reducing the risk to the unvaccinated.

They will have to wait a long time if they are. The government has ordered 40 million doses of the Pfizer one so enough to do 20 million people. That leaves about 50 million still to be catching/spreading the virus. They have also ordered other vaccines but we are yet to hear if they will work.

Simple answer really.  If you are offered the vaccine you can say no. Free choice. But if you do and then contract it. The health service can also say no.  

Despite the efforts of the government we are still just about a free country so if you don't want to have the vaccination don't. I know most people on here are of a certain age and are probably running scared but its no excuse for some of the vitriol spouted. If enough of you get inoculated then the rest get herd immunity,  simples.

18 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

My hand's up already:D.  The quicker I have it, the quicker I can go and see my mum, who I've not seen since March.  She's 93 (94 in January).

Yes!

My wife has just been allowed to visit her mum in hospital - but only because they thought it was end of life.  Her mum has had a pretty miserable year - heart attack, covid (caught in hospital), sepsis, a big bleed, C-Diff (caught in hospital), Covid (again, also caught in hospital) and now a major bleed (ulcer? cancer?).

But having visited her mum, my wife is now isolating for 14 days.  She's grateful that she could visit, but she'd be at the front of the queue for the vaccine if she's allowed.

Covid has cost thousands of lives, and for those of us lucky ones left there will be a huge impact in our lives, not only this year, but in the future.  Non Covid cases have had their treatment delayed, in many cases fatally. Estimates very as to the total cost in lives lost, I've seen reports suggesting the total will far exceed the deaths due to Covid.

We will need more austerity measures, possibly more draconian than ever as the government attempts to recover the economy, but the thousands of jobs and businesses lost will make this a long and difficult process.

With all this incredible burden, I think there's a case to be made that it should be compulsory to have the vaccine. I doubt any government would actually do this, but I certainly think there should be sanctions against those who refuse it.

:goodpost:

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

16 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

I certainly think there should be sanctions against those who refuse it.

Hear hear, and deniers and Covidiots should be at the back of the queue for a vaccine.  Indeed, if it were up to me, they would be denied it. But you watch them scream out loud about the pecking order that looks likely to be implemented, they'll want it first - and Corbyn's brother will be at the forefront.

28 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

We will need more austerity measures, possibly more draconian than ever as the government attempts to recover the economy, but the thousands of jobs and businesses lost will make this a long and difficult process.

2FD5DF0B-8BB7-455C-AF77-1FEEDC38E7B8.jpeg

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

I would 100% support a “This person has been vaccinated” card/certificate, but the chances of it ever coming to fruition are zero.

Just think of the cries from the ‘Yuman rights” brigade about “Freedom of choice”  They will of course conveniently “forget” about the freedom of choice to have the vaccine though won’t they? 

If I had my way those who refused or failed to get the vaccine would go to the very back of the queue if they contract the virus UNLESS of course there were medical reasons they couldn’t/shouldn’t be vaccinated. The plain “Ooh I don’t think it’s safe” brigade should be made to wait whilst those sensible enough to have been vaccinated should take priority. 

I am now retreating to an undisclosed location to avoid the wrath of those who won’t partake of the possibly life saving option that’s nearly with us :)

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

2 hours ago, Richie43 said:

If enough of you get inoculated then the rest get herd immunity,  simples.

Not simple at all by a long mark.

To attain herd immunity several things, not just one are required 1) a highly efficient vaccine providing around  around 80%  or more protection,  2) a sufficient number of the herd to have the injection and most important 3) that the antibodies produced either by vaccination, or by catching and recovering from Covid persist long term, at the moment research results show that they are on the wane after infection, if this is  so, natural herd protection won't happen and would possibly require annual vaccinations.

• Steven locked this topic
  • Steven unlocked this topic