Will you be having the covid vaccine?

As I have become  extremely optimistic regarding the coming vaccine and I live in hope of the beginning of the end of this pandemic I am wondering,  how many of you are happy to have the vaccine?  hubby and me are going to have the jab when offered and can only see this as a way of eventually getting rid of this virus.  How about you ?

Hymer Eriba Nova 541 2014

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No way on this earth would I let them give me this vaccine.    99.7 chance of survival Covid 19  that's good odds.   Danny  

This has not been rushed by the govt. You surely don't believe the govt has any thing to do with the development and testing of this vaccine. It has had normal proper testing that any vaccine has. 

Posted Images

I'm a bit torn to be honest.

I'm 42 and not subject to any "higher risk" category, so I guess I'll be one of the last to be offered it anyway.

I often think back to the likes of Thalidomide and other such disasters, especially due to the restricted testing that the Covid vaccine has been subjected to.

I think I'd rather wait a while before I took it.

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

We are free this afternoon if you can tell us where to get it. We NEED to get cracking with propper caravanning again. We NEED to book our 2021 summer holiday in the sun. Oh! and we need to go round to our local and get Guinessed.:D

Ern

Am being cautiously optimistic that this vaccine is a goer..

When it happens we would have it when offered although we are 61 & 60 and according to our local surgery do0 not qualify for a flu jab so I guess we will be a long way down the list after front line workers, students etc etc.

Fingers crossed something positive is about to happen.

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Having read of the reported side effects, we won't be in the queue, just like we avoid the flu vaccine despite how many times we are urged to have it. We'd rather take our chances.

We would look at it very differently if we were 20 years younger and with high risk jobs.

Apart from this mornings 11/11 appointment I am available as of yesterday.   

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

I'm 71 and my better half is 68. We'll both be happy to take it as soon as it's available to us.

I'm 70 and "high risk" because of bypass surgery last year. I've put my name forward, volunteering to be part of vaccine trials. After everything the NHS did for me last year, it's only fair to offer something back. Yes, I will be happy to have a Covid jab as soon as its available.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Anyone who decides not to have it is putting theirs and other peoples lives at risk.  Simple!  Then of course - some people like to gamble.  Its an interesting phenomenon that a lot of people have a "it won't happen to me"  attitude, which is, in many cases a good thing, otherwise we would not have much of a military and we would never have pioneered anything - such as flight for instance.  BUT what people should never do is risk the lives of others, especially by being belligerent and ignoring medical advice..... Sign me up! Those who don't, stay at home until next June!..... If your still alive by then.

Edited by Snakecharmer

BMW X3     Lunar Clubman SB                      Everything will be alright in the end and if its not alright,  then its not yet the end!

The list I have seen is based purely on age and takes no account of medical need, so it seems likely a number of other categories will need to be added, those with existing respiratory conditions or other urgent medical need etc. As it stands now I just scrape into group 10, so my thinking is that by the time it gets that far down the list it will have had all the testing it needs with the "waiting for god" and "borrowed time" brigades. If they can survive it then so can I. Sorry if that sounds a bit mercenary, but the fact remains. So I will be in the queue as soon as possible. 

Let's ask another question. News reports suggest normality by Easter, that would be good. That doesn't mean the virus will have gone away, just that the vaccine reduces our liklihood of catching it by, as I understand it about 90%. So if you chose not to have the vaccine should you remain subject to restrictions? That would make sense to me, after all it's your choice, why should you be allowed to put the rest of the community at risk?

Edited by PMW

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

38 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

due to the restricted testing that the Covid vaccine has been subjected to.

You have no evidence that testing has been restricted.   Pharma companies are not starting from scratch in their trials for the Covid 19 vaccine.   For quite a few years they've been working on similar vaccines.    Oxford University which created the vaccine being developed by AstraZeneca,  previously worked on a another coronavirus and developed the MERS vaccine.   Because of the previous work done,  scientists have been able to move to phase 3 trials much quicker that would normally be the case.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Yep, as soon as we’re able to.

We both volunteered for two different trials of a vaccine and are a tad disappointed never to have been asked.

This 73yo will get the Covid jab when it becomes available and will repeat when necessary as I do with my Flu jab.  The more folk who get the jab, the less Covid will be circulating and the better for everyone, including the ones who choose not to have the jab.   :)

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

9 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

You have no evidence that testing has been restricted.   Pharma companies are not starting from scratch in their trials for the Covid 19 vaccine.   For quite a few years they've been working on similar vaccines.    Oxford University which created the vaccine being developed by AstraZeneca,  previously worked on a another coronavirus and developed the MERS vaccine.   Because of the previous work done,  scientists have been able to move to phase 3 trials much quicker that would normally be the case.

Correct, I don't. 

I should have phrased it in such a way that made clear that I FEEL it has had less testing than other vaccines, and I FEEL has been rushed.

I don't know, I have no proof, it is outside my knowledge base, but I FEEL it has been rushed through.

Personally,  I think that if you choose not to have it, you also chose to be restricted in some of the things you do, such as travel. You already have to have certain jabs to travel to certain locations,  so what would be the difference.

I'm reminded of a tragic event whilst I was an apprentice,  our company landed a mining supply contract in Africa. We had to have a rake of inoculations to protect us but also to protect the local population. One of these was measles , unfortunately the control measures lacked rigour, and as a result someone slipped through the net resulting in a bad outbreak. I think even meaning there were fatalities although it didnt really get mentioned 40 odd years ago.

of course we shall be having the vaccination, after all the effort and money put into getting it  for us.  There will be quite a few I would think who will come up with all the horror stories regarding vaccines, but the same will have vaccination to enable them to go on holiday abroad.   Thinking back on the diseases that were rife years ago  and now through world wide vaccination programmes are extinct or are controlled, it's something to be thankful for. 

2 hours ago, Hort2074 said:

I'm a bit torn to be honest.

I'm 42 and not subject to any "higher risk" category, so I guess I'll be one of the last to be offered it anyway.

I often think back to the likes of Thalidomide and other such disasters, especially due to the restricted testing that the Covid vaccine has been subjected to.

I think I'd rather wait a while before I took it.

You will at least have the benefit of being able to see how others get on with it, whereas older people do not have that time, and are desperate to get back to some sense of normality.

9 minutes ago, Towtug said:

You will at least have the benefit of being able to see how others get on with it, whereas older people do not have that time, and are desperate to get back to some sense of normality.

Indeed, and I wholeheartedly hope it all works out as planned with no after effects.

As I said before, my skepticism isn't based on anything at all, just a "feeling".  

Yes, we are both over 65 but not vulnerable. We had plenty of other  vaccinations for travel plus numerous ones when we were in the RAF!

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

No way on this earth would I let them give me this vaccine. 

99.7 chance of survival Covid 19  that's good odds.

Danny  

2 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

Indeed, and I wholeheartedly hope it all works out as planned with no after effects.

As I said before, my skepticism isn't based on anything at all, just a "feeling".  

And I fully support your view even if its different to mine. My mother was given thalidomide when she was having me, I was lucky but one of my school friends was affected. Despite this my mother never shied away from having me or my brother inoculated, I suppose in those days despite tragedies they were still  holding the medical profession in some deference.  I think these days increasingly people are informed by uninformed sources, ie internet, dumbed down news programmes, loudmouth presenters, politicians.  Ordinary people have lost their ability to challenge and question and mistake opinion for evidence. 

9 minutes ago, Towtug said:

And I fully support your view even if its different to mine. My mother was given thalidomide when she was having me, I was lucky but one of my school friends was affected. Despite this my mother never shied away from having me or my brother inoculated, I suppose in those days despite tragedies they were still  holding the medical profession in some deference.  I think these days increasingly people are informed by uninformed sources, ie internet, dumbed down news programmes, loudmouth presenters, politicians.  Ordinary people have lost their ability to challenge and question and mistake opinion for evidence. 

Thanks. I don't like injections either, so that doesn't help the view :D

16 minutes ago, Dannyp said:

No way on this earth would I let them give me this vaccine. 

99.7 chance of survival Covid 19  that's good odds.

Danny  

Where are those figures from?

The WHO snapshot figures across all age groups are 51,950,727 cases with 1,282,118 deaths   or about 2.5%

5 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

Thanks. I don't like injections either, so that doesn't help the view :D

My brother used that for years until realising he could have a nasal spray. :)