• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whatever”does it” for you, I’m just glad I won’t be anywhere near you! 

let us known where you are going so we can avoid you.

Flag poles and wearing onesies to the toilet block is just plain chavvy.   

Posted Images

No, nothing left wing about it, quite the opposite. 

I think its poor taste to do so and can degrade what the flag stands for. I'm very proud of our flag, which is why I don't like to see them cheaply flapping above caravans or on peoples houses. A bit like when chavs leave their Christmas lights up on their house all year round.

• I disagree 3
  • I agree completely 3

Why would anyone think our National flag is cheap or chavvy?

I dont choose to display it, but I do respect it, and those others that do choose to display it. Fair play to them.

Better than a fake seagull and fairy lights on a fibreglass pole above a caravan IMO. Which is what some folk seem to prefer.

• Thanks 1
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 3

A couple of years ago, we were on a C&CC Temporary Holiday Site and an old boy on his own had a Parachute Regiment flag flying above his tent. I made the mistake of saying hello and that my son had been in the Para band and was regaled with lengthy tales of his exploits. I confess to avoiding him for the rest of the holiday, but he seemed to be able to find plenty of other ears to bend. 

7 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

If a 2 m high caravan needs an 8 m high pole, then an 8 m high house at the same ratio would require a 32 m high pole and if at the front of the house it might need planning permission :D

Easily solved he could drape the chimbley  ( no not  typo ) 😆 in fairy lights. 😱🤣

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

As an ex serviceman, I would consider flying the Union flag on remembrance day, RAF ensign on Battle of Britain day. At home.

My wife being Australian born, the Aussie flag on Anzac Day! I do not consider it chavvy. There is nothing wrong with being patriotic!

I am English  but won't  fly the English flag as it has been hijacked by the yob culture that is football. 

We don't  have flagpoles  or fairy lights on our caravan, not our thing.

• I agree completely 3

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

16 hours ago, 664DaveS said:

I am English  but won't  fly the English flag as it has been hijacked by the yob culture that is football. 

Agree totally, that's why I fly the flag of ST.EDMUND, who is the patron saint of the ENGLISH.

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

Google and I agree it is St. George. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

2 hours ago, WispMan said:

Google and I agree it is St. George. 

But St George hasn't always held the number one spot.   Originally St Edmund  was the patron saint.   Not until the time of Richard 1 did St George become popular, after Richard won a battle on the day following a visit to a place associated with George during one of his Crusades .   Early in the 2000s, a petition was presented to Parliament endeavoring to restore St Edmond to be our patron saint, however it was refused.  

But who makes the best case for patron saint.     George is also the patron saint of Greece and Lithuania and Portugal.   He wasn't a Brit.   He was born in Palestine and was a soldier in the Roman Army who was executed because he refused to worship the Roman gods.   St Edmund on the other hand was an Anglo-saxon King who fought alongside King Alfred. ............................ To my mind, we didn't do right by him. ;)

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

On 12/11/2020 at 21:59, JCCD said:

No, nothing left wing about it, quite the opposite. 

I think its poor taste to do so and can degrade what the flag stands for. I'm very proud of our flag, which is why I don't like to see them cheaply flapping above caravans or on peoples houses. A bit like when chavs leave their Christmas lights up on their house all year round.

Remind me to mention that to my retired Colonel friend - aged 85 - who always hoists the Union Flag outside his house on all the 'specified' days - and if he forgets - soon has other members of the village knocking on his door to see if he's OK.  I'm sure he'll chuckle at being though of as a chav!

• I agree completely 1

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

1 hour ago, richardandros said:

Remind me to mention that to my retired Colonel friend - aged 85 - who always hoists the Union Flag outside his house on all the 'specified' days - and if he forgets - soon has other members of the village knocking on his door to see if he's OK.  I'm sure he'll chuckle at being though of as a chav!

I'm also ex armed forces and i'm still employed by HM The Queen, which is why I don't agree with the misuse of flying the flag such as over caravans etc. It should be done respectfully and not draped around ones shoulders at football matches etc. I still wouldn't have one outside my house, it just looks tacky and you just know that the occupier will be the type of person described by Dobloseven below...

On 12/11/2020 at 23:03, Dobloseven said:

A couple of years ago, we were on a C&CC Temporary Holiday Site and an old boy on his own had a Parachute Regiment flag flying above his tent. I made the mistake of saying hello and that my son had been in the Para band and was regaled with lengthy tales of his exploits. I confess to avoiding him for the rest of the holiday, but he seemed to be able to find plenty of other ears to bend. 

I avoid anyone who flys the flag by their caravan, or on their house. You just know they are going to be that ^^^^ type of person :D

Edited by JCCD
  • I disagree 1
2 hours ago, JCCD said:

I'm also ex armed forces and i'm still employed by HM The Queen, which is why I don't agree with the misuse of flying the flag such as over caravans etc

So am I - but the above has to be a non sequitur, surely?????

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

10 minutes ago, richardandros said:

So am I - but the above has to be a non sequitur, surely?????

Not really, I just don't like to see it used on houses let alone caravans.

3 hours ago, JCCD said:

I'm also ex armed forces and i'm still employed by HM The Queen, 

Being possibly a bit pedantic (and it being a wet Sunday so I am stuck inside surfing the forum).......

Technically are  not forces personnel actually employed by the government via whichever branch of the military they are serving in but swear allegiance to and are ultimately answerable to, the Sovereign ?? 

But I do know exactly the point you were making, and I agree 100% 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills