Hi everyone. My main 240v is powering everything in my challenger swift 1997 but the battery isn’t powering anything and the volt dial is in the red with a new battery. Any ideas what could be causing the problem I’ve checked all fuses too. Thanks 

8 minutes ago, Brad 1991 said:

Hi everyone. My main 240v is powering everything in my challenger swift 1997 but the battery isn’t powering anything and the volt dial is in the red with a new battery. Any ideas what could be causing the problem I’ve checked all fuses too. Thanks 

There is usually a fuse, which you may have missed, hidden away under or near the battery compartment. This may well have blown.

I am pretty sure you have the Nordelettronica power system in your van, if yo udo, then it is well known for being problematic.

The best people to contact is Apuljack Engineering  (  http://www.apuljackengineering.co.uk/  )

They are the very best in dealing with all Nord problems and can repair your unit if it needs it to beter than new and at a reasonable cost.

Thanks for the replies. You mean the fuse that is connect to the wire going to the battery. Yes I’ve checked that too.  I’m really stuck. I’ve checked all wiring too. 

May be a silly question to ask but have you checked the RCD for the battery charger hasn't tripped or if its a separate charge that its a) plugged in b) its mains supply fuse hasn't blown?

1 hour ago, Brad 1991 said:

When on mains, are such things as water pump, 12v lights working ?

The RCD is at the bottom left and is on, if that trips you have no 240v at all.

The three mcb's are on, the system is on van and the charger is switched on and providing 12v by the meter, so presuming you have just taken the photo with the fault on ?

So the fault lies between the battery and the  PSU.

Though you've checked the fuse visually, usually a 20A one ? have you tried using a known good fuse.

Silly question are you using a fully charged battery, are the terminals and battery  posts cleaned back to bright metal, are there any signs of corrosion at the cable to battery terminal joint.

Last, did everything all work OK previously and has this just appeared out of the blue  with no other electrical work having been done ?

Edited by Silversurf

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Hi mate. Yes it’s a 20a one. No I didn’t try a new fuse in it as it all looks ok. I’ll try one tomorrow but I’ve little hope it will work. No I bought the caravan and the battery was already dead so bought a new one. Yes terminals are all clean as it’s a new battery. No signs of corrosion on the wires. This is so frustrating 

Same thoughts  as Silversurf.    Although I'm a little confused by your concerns as your photo shows a PMS 2000 unit with the charger working and the battery indicator needle showing a fully charged battery which suggests the charger is working.

The RCD you asked about is on the left, bottom row of switches.  The test button is the little round one. 

There is a relay on the back of the unit which could cause problems but this shouldn't be relevant when on 240v mains.

Simplist things first - if you've not already done so, follow the battery cable as far as you can and check for any plug-in or snap connectors that might be loose or corroded.

Hi mate I’ve checked all wiring as far as possible and no snaps or cuts in the cable. Changed the 20a fuse and still nothing. Looks like I’ll have to get an electrician out! 

If your system is indeed Nordelettronica then before calling out an electrician heed Brecon's advice and have a word with Apuljack Engineering. It will help if you do this from the van because they may want you to carry out some checks.

• I agree completely 1

Land Rover having a rest.

On that panel I can clearly see Plug in Systems - with a telephone number - and PMS2000 on the bottom.

So not NordElettronika at all?  Or am I missing something?  Apuljack may be able to assist still as they fix all sorts of makes I think.  

Swift used to supply pretty good schematic circuit diagrams with cable colours, connector pin numbers etc.,.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

I would still go back to that 20A inline fuse and check that there is actually 12V coming out of it. It is not unknown for internal connections in the holder to corrode enough the prevent current flowing.

I could be wrong, but worth checking.

• I agree completely 1

A DMM (Digital Muti Meter) is cheap and worth its  weight in gold! If you have one methodically go though the system until you find the "Dead" end! 

Remember over 95% of all electrical faults are caused by faulty/poor/broken connections. 

• I agree completely 1

Its a PMS2000 not nordelectronica.

PMS 2000 is a Plug in Systems unit. 

They are based in Yorkshire.

I found a number to try for tech support (if still valid)       Try 01482 670700.  (Hull)   Hopefully they may help.

If you've tried everything including double checking the user manual and all else then perhaps its time for a mobile technician.