Just seen this video on youtube and as well as a fantastic idea on draining down your caravan I cannot believe how much water is still in the system. Like many we just open the drain valve before driving home and believed the system to then be empty

Admin Comment - You only need to post it once, there is no benefit it posting the same topic in multiple places on the forum.

• Like 2
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But if you boil it the tea tastes funny

Been caravanning 25 years, always drink water from the Aquaroll, never had any kind of stomach upset   Just in case anyone is interested (Degree from the University of Life)

I find it strange how caravans have been using pipework inside for 50? years, and whilst there must have been a few that suffered freeze damage, the vast majority didn't, certainly once the manufactur

Posted Images

All the best ideas are the simplest. Thanks you for the tip. :)

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Saw that last night.

Wondered how 15psi held in the system long enough to open the taps six times without the need to re-pressurise.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Admin I posted this in the general Talk area and it disappeared so thought it hadnt posted hence I re submitted it.

i now realise that you moved the post. Perhaps if you left the post with an entry moved to the tips section it would be a little clearer and prevent this happening again.

5 minutes ago, Griff said:

Saw that last night.

Wondered how 15psi held in the system long enough to open the taps six times without the need to re-pressurise.

He says about 7.30 that the pump has cut back in automatically.

I'm not familiar with that type of tyre inflator but it would seem it maitains pressure.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1
17 minutes ago, staffordshirechina said:

He says about 7.30 that the pump has cut back in automatically.

I'm not familiar with that type of tyre inflator but it would seem it maitains pressure.

Thanks, missed that SC.

So, how much water came out using this system?

How much came out just using the "open drain valve and taps" system?

What is the difference in volume? Very little I should think, certainly not enough to cause a problem.

My 18 yrs old van which has always sat outside, has never suffered with burst pipes,  but perhaps I've been "lucky", or is it that the standard system is perfectly adequate, as many thousands of vans have proved over the years?

But if you want to go for it, good luck, but be careful of bursting the pipes or fittings or causing leaks!

Edited by daveat92

I have to say I've never had a problem just draining down in the conventional way in the last 20 years or so.

I did note another thread on CT re non-return valves failing and it crossed my mind that applying 15 psi (far above normal water pressure) may easily cause this problem.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1955 Francis Barnett Cruiser 75

8 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

So, how much water came out using this system?

How much came out just using the "open drain valve and taps" system?

What is the difference in volume? Very little I should think, certainly not enough to cause a problem.

I thought his system had already been drained by opening the yellow tap, 3 in our case and the 1 1/2 litres he pumped through was over and above that which drained by gravity?

• I agree completely 2

Dave he opened the drain valve like you on leaving the site they last stayed at. Despite this he has still got a litre and half of water out using this. 

i take it you never watched or listened to it fully or you wouldnt have asked.
any left over water no matter how little has the ability to freeze and cause damage just like your household pipes freezing.

some people always know best

Edited by Marcusp
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Griff said:

I thought his system had already been drained by opening the yellow tap, 3 in our case and the 1 1/2 litres he pumped through was over and above that which drained by gravity?

I didn't see that, when does he say it?

But even if he had, that 1.5ltr(?) hadn't caused a problem before.....

Edited by daveat92
  • I do not understand 1

How is that going to work without an electric pump? I assume you could use a bike pump but it would mean having to pump it up to the correct pressure regularly.

1 minute ago, Johnaldo said:

He says it only costs a couple of quid … conveniently omitting the extra £50 or £60 for the compressor!
John

Agreed but to be fair he was comparing costs with a £50 Floe which needs a compressor also.

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

I made the same years ago and used my cycle track pump to 10 psi max.

I've done it every year and have only ever got half a litre out at most, but when I refill in the summer there is always some that gets pushed through before the last of the air.

I extended the hose with a normal hose connector and can run it in via a side window. Last year I got one of those battery powered compressors so I can do it all from inside.

I don't really know if it makes a lot of difference but a friend of mine had a damaged tap due to frost damage last year, how much they drained down I don't know.

If a tap was frost damaged then it can not have been drained. Just opening the drain valve and then the taps will empty the taps so they can not get damaged unless a non return valve or thermostatic valve has been put in. After draining any water left can only be in the pipework which being plastic would not break as easily as a metal tap but if it did split a couple of connectors and pipe would cost very little. Filters should be removed (and never put back, just use a bit of pipe instead or empty filter case) since they can hold a lot of water.

Edited by Paul1957

Someone bought me a Floe some years ago. Even after driving home with the drain valve open I blow a couple of litres out of the system, which i do if the van isn't being used for any length of time, and certainly before any frost risk. I use a small 12v compressor that came with one of Kay's cars some years ago. It supplies about 12psi with a tap open, so I leave it running and just make sure theres always at least one tap open in the van.

1 hour ago, Johnaldo said:

He says it only costs a couple of quid … conveniently omitting the extra £50 or £60 for the compressor!
John

He is using a tyre compressor which I would imagine most people all ready have

I usually get 1.5 litres of additional water out of the system using a Floe (£29.99 on fleabay) and a Michelin (£18.00) foot pump that has a pressure gauge.

Starting doing it as part of the winterisation after a friend suffered burst pipes  one particularly cold winter - better safe than sorry.

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

1 hour ago, SamD said:

Agreed but to be fair he was comparing costs with a £50 Floe which needs a compressor also.

Oh right, I’d always assumed the Floe was so expensive because because it included the compressor. But if it doesn’t, what are you getting for your money - a tyre valve?

John

PS

Just checked their web-site - and you get a connector and 6” of pipe as well - for your 50 quid!

Edited by Johnaldo
  • I agree completely 1
1 hour ago, Johnaldo said:

Oh right, I’d always assumed the Floe was so expensive because because it included the compressor. But if it doesn’t, what are you getting for your money - a tyre valve?

John

PS

Just checked their web-site - and you get a connector and 6” of pipe as well - for your 50 quid!

Yup!  Just thinking that he didn't mention the requirement to replace the connector with pipe etc. to use for its primary purpose.

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

I am curious as to where the additional litre or so of water people are saying is present comes from?  On my caravan the drain point is at the lowest point in the circuit and there are no “sumps” in any of the pipework (I always remove the shower hose at the mixer for the winter) When leaving site I open the drain tap and all of the taps working on the theory that during the journey home any small amounts of water still within the system will slosh around find its way to the drain point. 

Having said that I have had to replace and inlet non return valve where (I assume) a small amount of water froze over the winter and broke the very small and flimsy plastic frame that supports the non return flap (so the non return actually failed the “non” part! 

A tiny bit of plastic that was not sold separately (quelle surprise) so a whole new unit required for many £’s  

Still, living right on the south coast frosts are very rare (but it only takes one of course) 

• Like 2

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills