Here's an interesting one.  I have my own opinions about this which I am sticking to but I know some of you like to debate "enthusiastically" on this so I'll throw it out there.

It relates to overnight stays in connection with your work, my understanding is that this is permitted and hotels will sometimes insist on written proof that this is the case.  In my case, the company I work for actually own a house adjacent to the main site, it's a nice new house, three bedroom and three bathrooms so it is in effect a bit like a mini-hotel, but none-the-less it is a house.  Usually two or three of us use this most weeks, staying in it for one or two nights while working at the head office.  Now, my take on this is that this isn't strictly allowed, I suppose you could take it that working and living in a house with the same people is forming a "bubble", but I have decided that this isn't the case and I'm not doing it (compounded for me as my wife has both asthma and diabetes).

I'm not looking for guidance as my mind is made up, just curious on how others would view it.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

I don't see this as a problem for a genuine business need, for one person. Much like a hotel stay.

The problem would be maintaining adequate separation if there are two or more of you.

I would class the house as part of your workplace and apply the same rules in it as you would in the offices.

• Like 1

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

How far is the drive home from head office? If "30" minutes I'd go home, if 4 hours staying in the house is acceptable but then when you go home, you have your wifes health to consider and so for her safety, it may not be wise to stay in the house.  Is it wise to mix with others then go home to her with a health concern?

macafee2

What a interesting post and one that is most definitely up for interpretation, debate and opinion.

As the house is connected to the company premises then it would probably be classed as part of the business, as already mentioned social distancing would be more of a problem and also cleaning regimes.

Myself and our engineers have letters to prove we are on essential business and most hotels are asking for some form of clarification, we are finding that a lot of the smaller hotels we would normally use are not open and its the larger sleep factories that are remaining open.

The old adage, your family comes first, so if I were in your position family members safety would be paramount and if given what you say about mixing with people in the company house I would opt to either try and work from home or even find a local hotel where you can lock yourself away and have some comfort in the cleanliness.

As an aside, the couple of hotels I have stayed in recently have been superb in terms of social distancing measures, cleanliness and preventative measures.

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

I agree with the others here, as it is for work purposes then there is no problem, as it is connected to the work address it could also be classed in two categories as a place of work.

Think of people staying in caravans on the drive etc due to a shielding family or the fact they are a key worker.

I think given your family situation you need to judge which one presents less risk.

Like I said in the original post, my mind is very clear here (I'm not doing it) just curious on others views, the house is owned by the company but not on the site, it's round the corner and 2 hours away from home.

Posted purely to see how others view a "typical" and "real" situation that doesn't have a definite yes/no answer.  This isn't connected to the employment legal question I asked about in the social section.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

I'm assuming  that your wife is not over 70 years and not obese,  they said at first that asthma was a big risk and then changed it and said that if it is managed okay then it isn't a big risk.  I think that diabetes is a risk as it involves a lot of other health issues, but I suppose it depends on how bad her diabetes is. That said , so long as your employer is making the work and house environment covid safe, then you can go to work  making sure that all the fules are obeyed.  However, if you feel that your things are too risky for you then tell your employer. Could he / she sack you for not going to work ?

How will those who stay in their caravans whilst working away from home go on? Often see little colonies of touring caravans on road construction sites.