Message added by CT Advertising,

Prima logo.pngOur supporter Prima Leisure has Caravan Parts/Accessories for Bailey and all other makes of caravan and motorhome. Take a look at their massive range of products.

Well worth a visit!

I had a dilema as my caravan was booked in for service next week and I had arranged to take it in today,  The dealers workshop has remained open (legitimately) I contacted them to check and they said bring it in as planned.  My storage yard has keypad entry so no need for contact with anyone aside from a text message,  Drop off at the dealers was 30 mins later, done without the need to go into the dealers office or get close to anyone.  If the workshops are allowed to remain open then it can't be an issue to move caravans around - how else could they get work done?  As I spend my working day surrounded by potential carriers (I'm a teacher) the whole process was a lot less risky than a normal day for me.  As I had no contact with anyone there was no risk to them either.  I absolutely understand the need for strict measures bur made a measured and calculated decision,  I did carry a print out of my service booking in case I was stopped though! (I wasn't)

I was shocked when I got to the dealers - it looked very bare.  They have pretty much sold all their stock both new and used!  They had expected to get some returns in september when folk had decided caravanning wasn't for them but this hasn't happened ......yet.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why is it that whatever is put in place to try and get the virus situation under control , some people go out of their way to find valid reasons NOT to comply. What is so difficult to understand

Odd, that in the scheme of things, some folk think that one person, moving a van from home ? to a storage site and then returning home, to comply with the ' essential' rules of his insurance company,

Quite right Silversurf, essential journey or not the risk is zero. If You can still collect a brand new car from a showroom, yes you can buy a new caravan and have it delivered home and yes you can he

Posted Images

On 06/11/2020 at 12:10, Stockcroft said:

She had her own home in Hertfordshire and consequently will be self-funding (after the 12 weeks that are paid for by the local authority).   With little other assets the house needs to be sold urgently to fund the care (@ £1300 per week). 

Move to Scotland where these ridiculous regulations don't apply
My missus worked in a care home and the family of one of the residents did this to avoid having to sell what their parents had worked for all their lives, and paying Tax and NI payments for help required in old age  !!
Sorry for going off topic a bit there.

7 hours ago, alecsmart said:

As I spend my working day surrounded by potential carriers (I'm a teacher)

As a teacher, are you in favour of keeping schools open  ?
The reason I ask is that my 15 year old grand daughter has spent more time being sent home to isolate than actually being in full time education.
After the first time she tested positive and then returned to school she videoed the corridors when classes were changing.  Not a single mask being worn and kids jumping all over each other.  So who is supposed to police the behaviour of all these kids, who have more rights than the teachers that are supposed to discipline them.

Difficult to comment as I don't know what systems have been put in place. At my school ( secondary) we have staggered start times and staggered break and lunch times. Each year group stays in it's own bubble in a different area of the school. Students stay in one room each day so there is very little movement. Each class has a seating plan so if a student has a confirmed Covid case, students who have been in close contact can be told to self isolate at home. So far this has worked well with no need to send whole year groups home.  This is in a  local education authority school in East London not an academy.

Edit. Sorry should have added that yes I am in favour of schools being open as many students need the security and welfare that school brings. 

Further edit. I hope your granddaughter was disciplined for taking a video at school. Totally unacceptable. 

Edited by alecsmart
12 hours ago, Richard_Y said:

(Mr Plod, it was me wot liked your own post. I fess up.)

Ta :)

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Just to wrap things up - I duly towed our 'van to the storage place today,  said hi to the owner outside the buildings, and threw the clamp keys over to him. No issues en route.
There was a police car with flashing lights weaving right across the carriageway, but it was on the other side, apparently slowing or stopping a lorry, so quite unconcerned with me.
Thanks for all the comments - I had my useful polite points to offer if I was stopped!

Best wishes,

Richard

Plus one here with the schools open ie in favour. The children were so pleased to be back after lockdown. Rural school , no confirmed cases as yet, Primary. Stayed open for key workers right through lockdown with one two week shut down then due to a scare.T esting wasn't as good then though, I was tested Saturday 12.30 and had results (negative)Sunday 8.45am,amazing. I should add that behaviour on return was VERY poor, the children felt 'wild'!

Edited by Jezzerb
45 minutes ago, joanie said:

I did read that if the govt. says not to drive unless it's an  essential journey, the insurance can be null & void.

Complete and utter rubbish !! 

47 minutes ago, joanie said:

I did read that if the govt. says not to drive unless it's an  essential journey, the insurance can be null & void.

I think that this originates from an irresponsible article in the Mirror.  It suggested that you may be uninsured if you are using your car for a inessential journey.  However, the only insurance company that they quoted said “If it’s a non-­essential journey and being used ­outside the terms of the policy then there may be grounds for an insurer to reject a claim.”  The key part of this is where they say "and being used ­outside the terms of the policy".  Obviously, you have never been covered for anything outside the terms of the policy.  There are now numerous responses from insurers stating that whether a car journey is or is not essential does not affect your insurance.

1 hour ago, DACS said:

I think that this originates from an irresponsible article in the Mirror.  

A British newspaper making unsubstantiated claims?? Surely not!!!!

9 minutes ago, Richard_Y said:

Which is what a lot of newspapers rely on. We've seen a lot of mud flung over the years, and with multiple repeats, it sticks. When eventually some of them have to apologise, it's normally a small paragraph buried near the back, so it's there in print but well hidden, and by then the person's reputation is in tatters, so the the hatchet job has still worked.

The BBC keeps mentioning -70.

Hmm... we seem to have strayed a little from towing vans to storage. But hey, it's all conversation, and it happens here :)

The BBC is correct -70 to -80 , ie dry ice temperature 

Just to let you all know the latest guidelines that we have received at our workshop within the last few days from the NCC regarding servicing/repairs. Towing a caravan to a workshop is not regarded as an essential journey, we are not allowed to have customers on site for any reason, we can continue to remain open but only to work on vans already in our yard, after these vans are completed WE are allowed to tow the vans & deliver back to customers within a local area. WE are not allowed to collect vans from customers but we can go to a manufacturer to pick up a new van allocated to us (in our case Baileys) & return back to our yard with the van. After we have completed all the work that we already have on site, we are advised to close. 

Hmmm - thank you for this. No specific mention of storage rather than workshops, but maybe I'm glad Mr Plodd's current successors didn't decide to query my trip, then.

Ah well - 'tis done, and no damage was apparently done in the doing. It would have been a real nuisance having  the 'van living on our drive for months, much as we love it.

49 minutes ago, Flinty said:

Just to let you all know the latest guidelines that we have received at our workshop within the last few days from the NCC regarding servicing/repairs. Towing a caravan to a workshop is not regarded as an essential journey, we are not allowed to have customers on site for any reason, we can continue to remain open but only to work on vans already in our yard, after these vans are completed WE are allowed to tow the vans & deliver back to customers within a local area. WE are not allowed to collect vans from customers but we can go to a manufacturer to pick up a new van allocated to us (in our case Baileys) & return back to our yard with the van. After we have completed all the work that we already have on site, we are advised to close. 

Thanks for that info Flinty! 

I see that these  are just “guidelines” from the NCC rather than any official body (Govt, Police etc)

Which does pose the question is this the NCC putting their own slant on things rather than it being a hard and fast rule such as pubs having to close which is legally enforceable? 

My dealer rang me and ask me to take my van in early for warranty and service work in case of a full lockdown. At the time I thought it a bit extreme, but not now! They have work to keep them going and I get my caravan sorted.

8 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Thanks for that info Flinty! 

I see that these  are just “guidelines” from the NCC rather than any official body (Govt, Police etc)

Which does pose the question is this the NCC putting their own slant on things rather than it being a hard and fast rule such as pubs having to close which is legally enforceable? 

My dealer rang me and ask me to take my van in early for warranty and service work in case of a full lockdown. At the time I thought it a bit extreme, but not now! They have work to keep them going and I get my caravan sorted.

I will try to get hold of the email tomorrow so I can be a bit more precise with their wording

We had an email from Glossop Caravans yesterday saying they have closed their work shop again. Any caravans in for servicing will be completed and then kept there until non essential travel is allowed again. It also said any new vans ordered can be delivered to people's homes. On-line sales are continuing.

Car work shops and parts sales still seem to be open, I had to get a few parts this week from a Vauxhall dealer and had no bother. Car sales though were closed apart from on-line.

Edited by Paul1957

Here's a photo of the important bit of the email from the NCC (if I've managed to upload it correctly) regarding workshops staying open, apparently WE are allowed to pick up vehicles for servicing/repairs buts its too late for us now because we rebooked everything & have got a few days of work left & then we are going to be furloughed.

20201113_110820.jpg

To me that reads as it is the NCC who are saying customers should not tow caravans to/from servicing but it is ok for service centre people to do that. At the last lock down the government did close garages for repairs and MOTs except for key workers but this time they are open for all - possibly the garages are better at lobbying than caravan dealers/NCC.

Well you could argue that an employee of the dealership is “at work” when collecting delivering a customers caravan, and that is permitted. 

I am not saying thats the case, just putting forward a possibility :)

Just thinking about this, if the caravan dealer was to send out somebody to collect a caravan and they were more than a few miles away, they might as well send the technician and do the service at the house/storage site. 

I bet the collection/delivery is in addition to the service/repair cost. Time is money.

31 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I bet the collection/delivery is in addition to the service/repair cost. Time is money.

We've delivered 10 vans back this week & gone out to 2 customers locally whose auto engage movers had given up when they were trying to get their vans into storage, didn't charge a penny extra.

I am impressed Flinty, and admire your attitude in regards to customer service.