I've treated with scepticism the benefit given by wearing masks etc. knowing just how easy airborne diseases likes colds are to catch. If you think about it you only have to catch someones exhaled air, and it often staggers me just how far away you can be and still smell someone vaping for example.

Recently I was asked to isolate for 14 days as was my wife, we did this in fact for 18 days (was quite nice) and saw absolutely no one, on day 19 my wife nipped to her office to collect some files, she saw her boss for about 5 mins, washed her hands etc and came home. We then saw no one else for 2 days, when we got messages saying we had been in contact with someone who had tested positive (her boss) . As we both had cold symptoms we had to take tests, which were positive, so another 10 days isolation. All this from a 5min socially distant meeting in a supposedly covid secure office.

The point here being you either treat it as being so easy to catch that despite taking the precautions you really only delay the innevitable or, you literally have to avoid all human contact.

What do you think?

Edited by Towtug
  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 3
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There isn't one.  Trying to isolate yourself from your fellow officers as a front line officer is impossible.  (after 30 years I know )   So they take the risk to keep us safe.  Our local force has ha

I think you are being over sensitive because your views on sanitiser usage differ from GPS.  I tend to agree with GPS and his view that just using sanitiser as you leave the car is, logically, pr

Go back and read what he does for a living! He deserves praise not criticism.

Posted Images

I think you're right if you you don't avoid all human contact it's literally down to luck, you can sway the odds in your favour of course by being sensible.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Why did you have to isolate the first time, had you been in contact with a carrier?

I've tested positive twice, no symptoms in either case. I have a medical condition which makes me vulnerable to infections but so far I've been fine, so presume I've had a mild dose of the virus.

I think the test isn't 100% foolproof, I also wonder if there are different ' strains' of Covid, so it could be thousands of untested people are carrying this mild form that I have.

All we can do is take as many reasonable precautions as possible. if everyone wears a mask and practices good hygiene this really reduces the chance for the virus to spread.

Edited by Dave Capiro owner
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Why did you have to isolate the first time, had you been in contact with a carrier?

I had delivered a vehicle to facility for testing. Two days after my visit they apparently found someone in the facility who had tested positive. I had had random test the week before and was negative.  

I have undergone two separate eye operations since March this year, and in each case was tested negative for covid two days before each hospital visit. My wife is also due to visit the same hospital tomorrow and she too has been tested negative.

Neither of us are displaying covid symptoms but at the moment we both remain sceptical over the validity of these tests as I understand from what people are saying that it is possible to be a carrier, not display any symptoms, yet still pass on the infection. All we can do is to be vigilant, always wear a mask when out, and stay as far as practical away from others at all times.

In addition we have been using disposible masks and disposing them after use if we believe we may have been close to any infection. I know the mask's primary function is to protect others but you never know what may have contaminated the outer surface.

On a more positive note, while I feel the current situation may last for some time, I am equally sure it will eventually be resolved.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

30 minutes ago, Gordon said:

........All we can do is to be vigilant, always wear a mask when out, and stay as far as practical away from others at all times.

In addition we have been using disposible masks and disposing them after use if we believe we may have been close to any infection. I know the mask's primary function is to protect others but you never know what may have contaminated the outer surface.

On a more positive note, while I feel the current situation may last for some time, I am equally sure it will eventually be resolved.

This country needs to impose on the spot fines for not wearing masks outdoors like Spain is now doing.

Watching the Vuelta on tv I didn’t see a single spectator by the roadside without a mask.

By comparison the Tour de France spectators were very patchy. One old guy pulled his mask down so he could shout louder and cheer-on the cyclists slowly passing less than a metre in front of him .....as they gasped for clean safe air on a 15% climb.  

It’s that kind of mindset and lack of forethought that threatens the success of any attempt to defeat the virus. 

• I agree completely 4

I honestly don't think the test is accurate but it seems it's all we have at the mo and yes seems VERY easy to catch which is the issue-I don't think masks work other than to prevent a cough or sneeze going everywhere, otherwise no one would have it by now. 

My wife has been going out once a week to do the weekly shop at our local supermarket. She does the shop as I am classed as "vulnerable", (70 years old and I had a bypass operation in 2019). I have been visiting the local shops and taking exercise by walking the local area and avoiding close contact with other people. We are both running the NHS app on our mobile phones. 10 days ago, her phone message turned red and informed her that she had been in contact with somebody who had been tested positive for Covid, (presumably in the supermarket). She has shown no symptoms, but has isolated for the last 10 days. My app is still running, but has not informed me of any contact with suspected carriers despite my sharing a house with my wife, who has been informed that she might be a carrier. 

Stay safe by washing hands, wearing a mask and carefully avoid contact with others.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

6 minutes ago, Townie said:

My wife has been going out once a week to do the weekly shop at our local supermarket. She does the shop as I am classed as "vulnerable", (70 years old and I had a bypass operation in 2019). I have been visiting the local shops and taking exercise by walking the local area and avoiding close contact with other people. We are both running the NHS app on our mobile phones. 10 days ago, her phone message turned red and informed her that she had been in contact with somebody who had been tested positive for Covid, (presumably in the supermarket). She has shown no symptoms, but has isolated for the last 10 days. My app is still running, but has not informed me of any contact with suspected carriers despite my sharing a house with my wife, who has been informed that she might be a carrier. 

Stay safe by washing hands, wearing a mask and carefully avoid contact with others.

I think yours would only go Red if your wife tested positive.

At the current time you haven’t been in contact with anyone (your wife) who has tested positive.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

25 minutes ago, Townie said:

My app is still running, but has not informed me of any contact with suspected carriers despite my sharing a house with my wife, who has been informed that she might be a carrier. 

My App is running, went red on the first test and stated how long to isolate, but wasn't updated on the second test, so currently green. I've not been contacted by T&T either, just received general text messages telling me to isolate, but not for how long. No emails received either.

3 hours ago, Towtug said:

I've treated with scepticism the benefit given by wearing masks etc. knowing just how easy airborne diseases likes colds are to catch. If you think about it you only have to catch someones exhaled air, and it often staggers me just how far away you can be and still smell someone vaping for example.

Recently I was asked to isolate for 14 days as was my wife, we did this in fact for 18 days (was quite nice) and saw absolutely no one, on day 19 my wife nipped to her office to collect some files, she saw her boss for about 5 mins, washed her hands etc and came home. We then saw no one else for 2 days, when we got messages saying we had been in contact with someone who had tested positive (her boss) . As we both had cold symptoms we had to take tests, which were positive, so another 10 days isolation. All this from a 5min socially distant meeting in a supposedly covid secure office.

The point here being you either treat it as being so easy to catch that despite taking the precautions you really only delay the innevitable or, you literally have to avoid all human contact.

What do you think?

Was your wife's boss wearing a mask? Was your wife wearing one?

Ern

Until mask wearing becomes mandatory there is always the risk an unmasked individual could ‘spray the surroundings’ as well as direct transmission of the virus.  That’s why frequent hand washing is an integral part of the safety protocol.  

Sadly, the number of men I see coming out of toilets without washing their hands doesn’t bode well getting them to do it every time they touch a common use door handle, handrail, flat surface etc.

We are surrounded by people who half get the message. Yesterday I watched a carer pull down her mask to sneeze into her gloved hands. She then reinstated her mask squeezed the nose grip and carried on attending to the elderly lady, without changing her gloves. Simple oversight...but they are all around us.

• I agree completely 1

The worst situations I've seen are in supermarkets.

Many don't bother sanitizing hands or trolleys, or if they do they then negate the effect by using their phones, which won't have been sanitized.

We will never know, but I imagine the spread of covid due to people in shops could be significant.

1 hour ago, Townie said:

We are both running the NHS app on our mobile phones.

I have it my phone and I used it last at Taunton Deane and Membury Services where the QR Code was stapled to every outdoor bench.      The only places I've been to since is an Asda and a Tesco and I haven't seen the QR code displayed at either place.  

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

5 hours ago, Towtug said:

If you got a message in 2 days does that mean the boss had already got symptoms and been tested when your wife saw him ? If so I thought if you had symptoms you are meant to isolate and get tested but not carry on until you get a result.

Anyway,  I hope you are both ok now and recovered without problems.

14 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

If you got a message in 2 days does that mean the boss had already got symptoms and been tested when your wife saw him ? I

Good point 👍

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Well, I finished nights on Monday morning, and started feeling ropy on Tuesday afternoon. Much worse on wednesday morning. A test yesterday has just come back positive, so at least I know why I'm feeling out of sorts.

One of the other blokes on my shift got a positive test result yesterday morning, so I'm guessing I picked it up at work. Hey ho.

8 hours ago, Ern said:

Was your wife's boss wearing a mask? Was your wife wearing one?

No need according to guidelines,  workplace screens , one way system, forced ventilation ( my wife has them sat there in their coats with the windows open), touchpoint cleaning every 30 minutes, no visitors or visiting. There are only 5 staff. To be honest considering this small business had every reason to try and stay open, as it is it's now closed until all the staff are out of isolation,  I think they reacted well. But it only goes to show how even in a relatively small area just how easy and quickly this spreads

6 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Good point 👍

No wife saw him Wednesday, he had symptoms Friday and took a test sameday and got the results Sunday. He called us on Sunday, track and trace still havent.

Edited by Towtug
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Jaydug said:

I have it my phone and I used it last at Taunton Deane and Membury Services where the QR Code was stapled to every outdoor bench.      The only places I've been to since is an Asda and a Tesco and I haven't seen the QR code displayed at either place.  

I asked at Asda the other week, they did have QR codes but not very conspicuous,  I suggested they hung a couple of 10 ft square ones from the roof which theyve since done, however they did mention that peoples phones with app on average generate a huge number of data points during visit, so it's not really necessary.  Sounds plausible 

8 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

The worst situations I've seen are in supermarkets.

Many don't bother sanitizing hands or trolleys, or if they do they then negate the effect by using their phones, which won't have been sanitized.

We will never know, but I imagine the spread of covid due to people in shops could be significant.

I never sanitize entering supermarket,  I do it in the car first, the supermarket sanitize stations have been handled by hundreds of other people, why would my phone be dangerous to use ? 

5 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

Well, I finished nights on Monday morning, and started feeling ropy on Tuesday afternoon. Much worse on wednesday morning. A test yesterday has just come back positive, so at least I know why I'm feeling out of sorts.

One of the other blokes on my shift got a positive test result yesterday morning, so I'm guessing I picked it up at work. Hey ho.

Hope you manage okay.

Hope those who have had covid are recovering with no long term effects. 

we use masks when out and loads of alcohol gel. Don’t use the app but that’s only because I have to disable it when I’m at work ( or else it would go off all the time and I’ll be self isolating all the time)

12 hours ago, James749 said:

Hope those who have had covid are recovering with no long term effects. 

we use masks when out and loads of alcohol gel. Don’t use the app but that’s only because I have to disable it when I’m at work ( or else it would go off all the time and I’ll be self isolating all the time)

You only get to self isolate if you have been in close proximity.  The app has never warned me despite the various places I've needed to visit. 

Aren't you in danger of missing the point or have I missed something?

1 minute ago, Towtug said:

You only get to self isolate if you have been in close proximity.  The app has never warned me despite the various places I've needed to visit. 

Aren't you in danger of missing the point or have I missed something?

I suppose if you work in a hospital that has COVID patients then it would necessitate this?

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

No single control measure is perfect, but used together they can improve your chances.

1*3rK1ifSyhT1QaeoOyQAtLg.thumb.jpeg.09165110993991090567cb897d7c062b.jpeg

• Like 4