Stuck in the mud - Short survey - Your Input Needed

Hi fellow caravaners,

Have you ever been stuck in mud while caravanning on rainy days? If you are like me, the answer is yes.

I’ve had that unpleasant experience more than once, so it motivated me to come up with a solution. I believe this is something which will help many caravaners like you and me in the future.

I tried it and it worked but it still needs a few tweaks and that’s where I need your help.

Could you spare a few minutes to answer this very short survey?

Click here

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it! 

Richard

Wood under the car drive wheels worked for me - did your survey.

While camping at Glastonbury I got the car (tent in the boot) stuck in mud and was towed off the site backwards using my tow hitch!

Having a 4x4 helps. We have assisted a few on muddy pitches. Front wheel drive cars lose grip with a van on.  On a couple of occasions we were able to extract the stuck van using our 4x4. Mud or all terrain tyres best but not normally fitted as standard.

Watched a guy with an suv spinning his front wheels on a wet pitch. I suggested he try 4 wheel drive, but it was not fitted!

I won't buy a 2wd suv for towing.

Edited by 664DaveS

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

After needing to use the mover to get the caravan off a very wet pitch I bought the grip mats. They seem to work by magic as we have never needed to put them down. A variation on Sods law is if you provide for the worst the worst never happens.

Done.

Good luck

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

1 hour ago, bubble2015 said:

Never been stuck thanks to intelligent 4 x 4.

Same here, never been stuck but pulled a few out that have.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Done.

Never been stuck with caravan, camper van or trailer tent, but a few times many years ago with a tent when sites weren’t so good.

John

Been stuck a couple of times, usually on wet grass, but never been a problem.  Always used the motor mover and reversed the caravan onto a hard surface.

2017 Lunar Solaris 462, Mercedes B200 Exec CDI Auto

I just switch to low ratio, engage central and rear diff locks and it will pull anything out:D

Plus the BFG All Terrain tyres help a bit!

Edited by richardandros

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

5 hours ago, Richard Newton said:

Hi fellow caravaners,

Have you ever been stuck in mud while caravanning on rainy days? If you are like me, the answer is yes.

I’ve had that unpleasant experience more than once, so it motivated me to come up with a solution. I believe this is something which will help many caravaners like you and me in the future.

I tried it and it worked but it still needs a few tweaks and that’s where I need your help.

Could you spare a few minutes to answer this very short survey?

Click here

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it! 

Richard

I am wary of clicking on links from new posters...assume it is safe to do so???

Luckily have not got stuck yet!!.. But have got a lump of rope in the 'just in case' bag...

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

3 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

Hence, I always ask for hardstanding.  Never fails:D

Most sites we use do not have any hardstandings!

I never feel right on hardstanding just love to be in a field of grass.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

2 hours ago, gtepete said:

I am wary of clicking on links from new posters...assume it is safe to do so???

Hi, I know it's always a little doubting but I am a genuine person, not a robot, so yes, it is safe.

Richard

Edited by Richard Newton

In 25 years I've been stuck three times , the first time in France I had the car on firm ground and used a tow rope to pull the caravan off.  the second time neighbour with four-wheel drive  pulled my caravan out .the third time was end of August this year on Ilfracombe caravan club site I was parked down the slope with the nice views,  two days I could not get my car on the pitch,  on the day of leaving I used my mover and reversed the caravan up to the site road.

Edited by SilverSurfer