BBQ point one side then another

May I ask you kind people to assist and help us in our confusion

Today we went and looked at a 2015 unicorn madrid , the BBQ was on the off side  hmm

we came back to youtube when we came home to view our saved videos - yes this is what researching for a caravan does for you !!! and the 2015 madrids on youtube the BBQ point is on the near side

help................................

hi 

no I want to know why a mardrid 2015 in the showroom we visited today was on the off side but the ones on youtube from caravan showrooms have it on the nearside

same caravan same yeat 

I had a BBQ point added to one caravan on the offside, to be away from the large awning and bed extension(s) we used to have.  It did require me to be very firm with the dealership to get it on the 'right' side!

The caravan makers do tend to fit them on the nearside, but it's possible that the original purchaser specified it was to be fitted that way on their order?  Or it may have been an early demonstrator/caravan show model?   Only way to know is to ask the selling dealer?

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Perhaps a silly question but was there two outlets? Some open source images appear to show one near the gas locker (not the water inlet) and one at the front on the nearside.

It does look as though the barbeque point on the offside has been added after the caravan was built. Provided it was done a professional it should be safe but if it looks suspect I would get it checked. The reason will almost certainly be that on the nearside any awning could be a problem and get in the way.

On 02/11/2020 at 16:41, angie2020 said:

May I ask you kind people to assist and help us in our confusion

Today we went and looked at a 2015 unicorn madrid , the BBQ was on the off side  hmm

we came back to youtube when we came home to view our saved videos - yes this is what researching for a caravan does for you !!! and the 2015 madrids on youtube the BBQ point is on the near side

help................................

I can assure you that for a short time the Bailey Unicorns were built with the BBQ point on the offside.   This was in response to a fire where a user set fire to an awning.  The designers thought that it was a good idea until the Owners Club went to the factory and pointed out in no uncertain way that it was a stupid idea.  Remarks like ' So now we can set fire to next doors awning' were forthcoming.  I know because I was there and part of the conversation.

Bailey did listen and before we left that day we were assured that the design had been changed and reverted to a more sensible position on the nearside, where it should be.  Along with a number of other 'improvements' suggested by the Club.  All were adopted.

If it is the factory fit Off side BBQ point then it is an early van from the first production run.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

23 hours ago, Alan Stanley said:

Bailey did listen and before we left that day we were assured that the design had been changed and reverted to a more sensible position on the nearside, where it should be.  Along with a number of other 'improvements' suggested by the Club.  All were adopted.

But they are still fitting the EHU point just in front if the habitation door so the plug sticks out at right angles and the trailing cable  provides an excellent means of tripping over it!! 

I have moved the EHU to the offside on my Phoenix. It did involve cutting a hole in the side :o (the two surfaces are very thin!) but I reckon I probably used three times the amount if Sikaflex to seal it than is ever used at the factory!  No trip hazard by the habitation door now.  

I reckon Bailey do it to possibly save about 3 metres of cable on each caravan by positioning the EHU point where they do rather than over the other side with the water inlet,  the cheapskates :rolleyes:

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.