Rotting floor behind mud flaps on Bailey Cadiz

Kalan72

14 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Winterisation certificate?? Never heard of one of them. 

The problem is that the amount of heat generated is clearly insufficient to evaporate the condensate water fast enough, so the receiver cup can overflow. This is particularly likely if the fridge has been used for a couple of weeks on site and then switched off. The condensate runs into the cup where there is now no heat (fridge switched off) It fills up and movement of the caravan sloshes it all out (unseen) onto the floor! 

If this feature is built into new caravans, and it’s a design feature of the fridge manufacturer  (the clip provided for this very purpose on the lower vent cover) what is there to query?? 

As for the condensate  pipe freezing it’s in the cavity behind the fridge and if you haven’t noticed that stays nice and warm, in fact too warm in the summer, hence the benefit of fitting a fan to clear the warm air out! 

No one is forcing you to carry out this modification, I merely posted the information so others can read it and, if they choose to, carry out a similar mod on their caravan. 

BS EN1645 Grade 3 ... Type approval to the rear of your caravan manual. 

Freezing and debris was also mentioned by Mr Stanley's Domestic engineer. 

No arguments here just highlighting genuine constructive concerns before anyone drills their floor or adapts a drain pipe that may not have a problem in the first place. 

Edited by Silverback

8 hours ago, Silverback said:

BS EN1645 Grade 3 ... Type approval to the rear of your caravan manual. 

Thought this BS standard and grade 3 insulation was in relation to how long a van takes to heat up from a certain temperature and to hold that temperature.

OK Silverback

I will it for you to have had the last word on this topic.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I will check ours next time it comes out and extend the tube if necessary.

Very useful advice,thank you.

14 hours ago, ian16527 said:

Thought this BS standard and grade 3 insulation was in relation to how long a van takes to heat up from a certain temperature and to hold that temperature.

Not quite ... It's length of time the vehicle takes to warm up to 20 degrees stabilise for an hour at that temperature, then carry out tests to the caravans equipment that could freeze works efficiently. 

13 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

OK Silverback

I will it for you to have had the last word on this topic.

No last word from me. I've learned the hard way. Going against the grain on here doesn't bode well for individuals .... Though in saying that Gordon's suggestion of having an overflow pipe from the drain tray itself to atmosphere, especially if it was an oversized bore would give the best of both worlds.