Rotting floor behind mud flaps on Bailey Cadiz

Kalan72

You know I’m not sure I’ve a problem, Checked today in more detail and after the initial wipe away around the area nothing has returned. Bone dry even though it’s been bucketing it down. Fingers crossed. 

beebs 

Be sure to check again once you have done a few miles with it when it’s been raining in case  water is being thrown up by the caravans wheels and finding a way in. It’s not unknown for the wheel boxes (the bits that go over the wheels) to crack )or be worn through if the suspension has “sagged”) 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

19 hours ago, Beebs said:

You know I’m not sure I’ve a problem, Checked today in more detail and after the initial wipe away around the area nothing has returned. Bone dry even though it’s been bucketing it down. Fingers crossed. 

beebs 

Happy days 👍 

Long shot but it might be to do with the fridge defrost reservoir overflowing. After towing home,fridge defrosts but no heat to evaporate water so it can overflow into wheel arch area.It did on my Valencia,took bottom vent of and extended pipe to vent outside problem solved.

3 hours ago, johnsev said:

Long shot but it might be to do with the fridge defrost reservoir overflowing. After towing home,fridge defrosts but no heat to evaporate water so it can overflow into wheel arch area.It did on my Valencia,took bottom vent of and extended pipe to vent outside problem solved.

I was alerted to that danger by my dealer and did exactly that easy modification Apparently it’s now standard fitting on newer Bailey’s. I have been having a chat with Stagn8 on this very subject over the last few days. 

16 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I was alerted to that danger by my dealer and did exactly that easy modification Apparently it’s now standard fitting on newer Bailey’s. I have been having a chat with Stagn8 on this very subject over the last few days. 

I can confirm it is standard on the Alicanto range to vent the water direct to the outside.  the tube is placed in a nice little holder built into the lower vent framework.  Surprising how much dribbles out at times.

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Mr Plodd 

what did you use to extend the pipe? I’ve a 10 month old Valencia and the pipe is to short. Only know to check the  reservoir as I spotted the problem whilst fitting the winter covers behind the vents back in February. Have to drain it with a microfibre cloth each de frost at the moment. 

cheers

Scott 

Take the existing pipe off and trot along to your local aquarium shop, they sell it by the metre (I think it’s 8mm diameter, but don’t quote me)! 

You can either clip the end of the pipe to the bottom of the external fridge vent or drill the floor and feed it down through, either way, along with a fan, it’s well worth doing! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

On 13/11/2020 at 10:12, Jezzerb said:

They've been unlucky but nothing to day they will find a compass any better. We loved our Bailey and had no real issues at all and our Buc made in the same factory is superb. Hope they get a good one.

I thought Buccaneer were made by the Hymer  Group? Are they still using timber frames like the Compass and Elddis vans?

Yes they are Elddis and yes exactly the same construction on the same line in Consett. Sorry my sentence structure was all over the place-should read-there is nothing to say that an Elddis/ Eriwin Hymer group Compass Xplore Bucanneer will be any different in terms of build quality errors etc. We had an excellent Bailey built in the Somerset factory and we seem to have an Excellent Bucanneer-built in Consett  but for that it's early days yet 1 year in. 

Edited by Jezzerb

On 23/11/2020 at 19:51, Mr Plodd said:

Take the existing pipe off and trot along to your local aquarium shop, they sell it by the metre (I think it’s 8mm diameter, but don’t quote me)! 

You can either clip the end of the pipe to the bottom of the external fridge vent or drill the floor and feed it down through, either way, along with a fan, it’s well worth doing! 

I’ve looked mr plodd and cannot see where it leads to. Just disappeared in the space behind the fridge. I’ll have a look again.

30 minutes ago, Beebs said:

I’ve looked mr plodd and cannot see where it leads to. Just disappeared in the space behind the fridge. I’ll have a look again.

Sorry but I am unable to post a picture as my van is at the dealers. What you are looking for is a thin flexible plastic tube that drops down into what looks like a small metal or plastic cup on the back of the fridge (when looking in through the external vent) The end in the cup will be loose. Follow that pipe back up and you will find it a push fit onto a small tube coming out of the back of the fridge itself. It drains melt water out of the fridge and into the cup where it should evaporate. You just need a longer length of that tube so rather than feed the water into the cup it goes to the outside, either via a hole drilled through the floor and the tube passed through it, or to the bottom of the frame that holds the lower vent cover in place, just be sure any liquid will flow to the outside not back inside. 

On 01/12/2020 at 15:36, Mr Plodd said:

Sorry but I am unable to post a picture as my van is at the dealers. What you are looking for is a thin flexible plastic tube that drops down into what looks like a small metal or plastic cup on the back of the fridge (when looking in through the external vent) The end in the cup will be loose. Follow that pipe back up and you will find it a push fit onto a small tube coming out of the back of the fridge itself. It drains melt water out of the fridge and into the cup where it should evaporate. You just need a longer length of that tube so rather than feed the water into the cup it goes to the outside, either via a hole drilled through the floor and the tube passed through it, or to the bottom of the frame that holds the lower vent cover in place, just be sure any liquid will flow to the outside not back inside. 

Roger that will have a look this weekend. 

On 02/12/2020 at 18:56, Beebs said:

Roger that will have a look this weekend. 

Be careful in doing this modification ... The longer the pipe is the more prone to blockages especially from road dirt and spray from the wheel arch area not to mention from the fridge itself . Also if you tour in the winter it could freeze. Maybe worth contacting Bailey or your dealer for and advice. 

37 minutes ago, Silverback said:

Be careful in doing this modification ... The longer the pipe is the more prone to blockages especially from road dirt and spray from the wheel arch area not to mention from the fridge itself . Also if you tour in the winter it could freeze. Maybe worth contacting Bailey or your dealer for and advice. 

Not if you feed the pipe to the lower external vent, If touring in the winter the heat from the back of the fridge will prevent any chance of the pipe freezing! And it’s far to high to be effected by wheel spray.

! I now have my caravan back home so I will take a picture in the morning and post it here. 

The advice to do this came from my dealer and all new Bailey models have it as standard from the factory :)

Edited by Mr Plodd

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Not if you feed the pipe to the lower external vent, If touring in the winter the heat from the back of the fridge will prevent any chance of the pipe freezing! And it’s far to high to be effected by wheel spray.

! I now have my caravan back home so I will take a picture in the morning and post it here. 

The advice to do this came from my dealer and all new Bailey models have it as standard from the factory :)

If you vent the pipe to atmosphere it can freeze during winter touring. If you drill the floor (Mentioned above) in the area of the wheel box it can block with road debris. The drain pipes from the refrigerators only have a very short length, hence the tool to unblock them. If you increase that length of it's more prone to blockages from the condensation from the fridge.  Have Bailey confirmed this modification and do you have photos please. 

Domestic refrigerator short cleaning tool 

I have posted what I have been told by my Dealer to extend the drain pipe to prevent the evaporation cup from overflowing and depositing water onto the floor and possibly causing damp. There IS a clip on the lower vent that’s exactly the right size and in exactly the right position to  accept the flexible tubing.

I have not checked with Bailey but see below for confirmation of what I said (and you missed from a previous post :rolleyes:

On 23/11/2020 at 17:24, Alan Stanley said:

I can confirm it is standard on the Alicanto range to vent the water direct to the outside.  the tube is placed in a nice little holder built into the lower vent framework.  Surprising how much dribbles out at times.

Like I said in my previous post. I will photograph mine in the morning and post the picture !!  

8 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I have posted what I have been told by my Dealer to extend the drain pipe to prevent the evaporation cup from overflowing and depositing water onto the floor and possibly causing damp. There IS a clip on the lower vent that’s exactly the right size and in exactly the right position to  accept the flexible tubing.

I have not checked with Bailey but see below for confirmation of what I said (and you missed from a previous post :rolleyes:

Like I said in my previous post. I will photograph mine in the morning and post the picture !!  

Looking forward to it 👍

Here you go, as promised. As you can see the clip on the lower fridge vent is purpose made for the job rather than just a “bit of moulding”  It’s literally a two minute job.

The tube originally dropped into the plastic cup you can see, but that can overflow. 

86951CB2-C1AF-4CB4-88B9-514F265A360D.jpeg

AD54FA4E-DBD7-431D-B52B-F961BDD14402.jpeg

Just to back Andy up this is shown in the installation instructions (Dometic 10, can’t say for other models as have not looked) along with the alternative of making a hole in the floor to poke it through. From the installation manual below;

Variant 1
➤ Run the condensation hose from the refrigerator through an opening  in the floor which goes outside under the vehicle.

Wouldn’t do it on my van as it would come straight out into the wheel arch which common sense would suggest is not the best place to avoid road dirt blocking it.

Edited by Stagn8

:Thankyou: 

Clearly caravan manufacturers have identified that the condensation receptacle can overflow and cause a damp issue ps and have got Dometic to address that issue with their installation instructions. 

I would recommend that everyone carries out this simple mod in order to prevent any possibility of fridge induced damp appearing in their floor.

Edited by Mr Plodd

8 hours ago, Stagn8 said:

Just to back Andy up this is shown in the installation instructions (Dometic 10, can’t say for other models as have not looked) along with the alternative of making a hole in the floor to poke it through. From the installation manual below;

Variant 1
➤ Run the condensation hose from the refrigerator through an opening  in the floor which goes outside under the vehicle.

Wouldn’t do it on my van as it would come straight out into the wheel arch which common sense would suggest is not the best place to avoid road dirt blocking it.

Exactly the same points I raised earlier ... Doesn't really make sense an installation that a majority wouldn't carry out due to the drain exposing itself around wheel box road spray and debris but hey-ho 🤔

7 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

:Thankyou: 

Clearly caravan manufacturers have identified that the condensation receptacle can overflow and cause a damp issue ps and have got Dometic to address that issue with their installation instructions. 

I would recommend that everyone carries out this simple mod in order to prevent any possibility of fridge induced damp appearing in their floor.

I can fully understand the theory but where does this sit with the caravans winterization certificate's.  The drip tray sits near to the condenser for the generated heat to vaporise the collected water and in doing so shouldn't freeze from the heated area but a drain pipe sitting out of the lower fridge vent to atmosphere is surely more prone to freezing during winter touring.  

I'll ask my dealer to check the floor behind the vents for damp during its annual service but more importantly I'll do it myself to find out if there's a problem but a constant outer wet under floor is more problematic to me at the moment 😉

Edited by Silverback

10 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Here you go, as promised. As you can see the clip on the lower fridge vent is purpose made for the job rather than just a “bit of moulding”  It’s literally a two minute job.

The tube originally dropped into the plastic cup you can see, but that can overflow. 

86951CB2-C1AF-4CB4-88B9-514F265A360D.jpeg

AD54FA4E-DBD7-431D-B52B-F961BDD14402.jpeg

Hi Mr Plodd 

this is how our gt65 was set up, the unicorn we have now just seems to disappear up behind the fridge. I’ll take a snap at the weekend.

9 hours ago, Silverback said:

I can fully understand the theory but where does this sit with the caravans winterization certificate's.  The drip tray sits near to the condenser for the generated heat to vaporise the collected water and in doing so shouldn't freeze from the heated area but a drain pipe sitting out of the lower fridge vent to atmosphere is surely more prone to freezing during winter touring.  

I'll ask my dealer to check the floor behind the vents for damp during its annual service but more importantly I'll do it myself to find out if there's a problem but a constant outer wet under floor is more problematic to me at the moment 😉

Winterisation certificate?? Never heard of one of them. 

The problem is that the amount of heat generated is clearly insufficient to evaporate the condensate water fast enough, so the receiver cup can overflow. This is particularly likely if the fridge has been used for a couple of weeks on site and then switched off. The condensate runs into the cup where there is now no heat (fridge switched off) It fills up and movement of the caravan sloshes it all out (unseen) onto the floor! 

If this feature is built into new caravans, and it’s a design feature of the fridge manufacturer  (the clip provided for this very purpose on the lower vent cover) what is there to query?? 

As for the condensate  pipe freezing it’s in the cavity behind the fridge and if you haven’t noticed that stays nice and warm, in fact too warm in the summer, hence the benefit of fitting a fan to clear the warm air out! 

No one is forcing you to carry out this modification, I merely posted the information so others can read it and, if they choose to, carry out a similar mod on their caravan.