Rotting floor behind mud flaps on Bailey Cadiz

Kalan72

It would seem for whatever reason the problem seems to be predominately a Bailey problem.   I know personally 2 Bailey owners who have had to replace the Axles on their vans both Unicorns.  

If it makes you feel any better the axle was replaced on our Hymer this year.   Although there was some minor circumstantial evidence that it might of really been pot hole damage. 

FCAC1406-9118-486D-86B6-CB2C793307A1.jpeg

2 minutes ago, fred said:

It would seem for whatever reason the problem seems to be predominately a Bailey problem.   I know personally 2 Bailey owners who have had to replace the Axles on their vans both Unicorns.  

If it makes you feel any better the axle was replaced on our Hymer this year.   Although there was some minor circumstantial evidence that it might of really been pot hole damage. 

FCAC1406-9118-486D-86B6-CB2C793307A1.jpeg

That is a perfect example of pothole damage.

If it were related to the axle, the damage would be all the way round!

1 minute ago, daveat92 said:

That is a perfect example of pothole damage.

If it were related to the axle, the damage would be all the way round!

The slightly scary thing is we didn’t have a clue it had happened.   It was found on the annual service.   

9 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

...The axles didn’t physically break, it was the rubber used to provide the suspension medium that compressed too much over time, thus reducing the ride height and bringing the wheel and tyre too close to the wheel arch.

I can see both sides of this discussion,  Bailey didn't help themselves/their customers by fitting flat-top axle boxes, instead of the round top ones that most other makers fit.  Others makes may have failed axles but without the same catastrophic results.

If people buy a new AL-KO axle, AL-KO have relocated the brackets so that there is an additional 10mm of clearance. 

1 minute ago, Will deBeast said:

I can see both sides of this discussion,  Bailey didn't help themselves/their customers by fitting flat-top axle boxes, instead of the round top ones that most other makers fit.  Others makes may have failed axles but without the same catastrophic results.

If people buy a new AL-KO axle, AL-KO have relocated the brackets so that there is an additional 10mm of clearance. 

But it’s not Bailey’s fault if an AL-KO axle fails/sags is it? 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

2 hours ago, Will deBeast said:

This is an automated informative website ... 

https://worldwidewalkies.blog/2018/02/10/bailey-AL-KO-axle-problem/

Agreed, that's a good start.  I'd also recommend "Bailey Axle Problems family!" on facebook.

There's also a  huge multi-page discussion here on CaravanTalk.

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

But it’s not Bailey’s fault if an AL-KO axle fails/sags is it? 

As I understand it, the B1600 series of axle swing arm has 180mm travel from no load to maximum bump stop.

When fully loaded, the arm should be horizontal.  Except that it appears that Bailey didn't allow enough clearance in the axle box for the arm to reach the horizontal position.  Hence it rubbing on the top of the axle box. 

The caravans appear fine when new, but the axle gradually relaxes.  I suspect that many of the axles haven't actually failed as such - but there's no room left for them to move.

Edited by Will deBeast

1 hour ago, Will deBeast said:

As I understand it, the B1600 series of axle swing arm has 180mm travel from no load to maximum bump stop.

When fully loaded, the arm should be horizontal.  Except that it appears that Bailey didn't allow enough clearance in the axle box for the arm to reach the horizontal position.  Hence it rubbing on the top of the axle box. 

The caravans appear fine when new, but the axle gradually relaxes.  I suspect that many of the axles haven't actually failed as such - but there's no room left for them to move.

That makes a lot of sense and obviously would have caused the alleged  disagreement between AL-KO and Bailey for responsibility .

Am I right in thinking that this problem is now a thing of the past and newer Baileys don’t suffer from it?? 

13 hours ago, Will deBeast said:

Agreed, that's a good start.  I'd also recommend "Bailey Axle Problems family!" on facebook.

There's also a  huge multi-page discussion here on CaravanTalk.

On the Compass owners facebook page someone a while back posted a question about quality, they wanted to know if anyone had any issues as they were thinking of changing to Compass from Bailey:

Hello thanks for accepting me to the group we have had four Bailey caravans but due to the poor build quality we have had enough and ordered a compass connoisseur 586 at Glasgow show yesterday hopefully get it in March please tell me there are no major problems with compass caravans our latest Bailey was only one and half years old but spent most of time at dealers

Depending on how you read it, i seems like it took them a while and 4 vans to decide they didn't like them!

They've been unlucky but nothing to day they will find a compass any better. We loved our Bailey and had no real issues at all and our Buc made in the same factory is superb. Hope they get a good one.

On 13/11/2020 at 08:17, Mr Plodd said:

Am I right in thinking that this problem is now a thing of the past and newer Baileys don’t suffer from it?? 

I think only time will tell but if your statement is true then I'll  have at least one solution to avoid any potential axle problems that could also cause damp floors and that solution would be to trade in my two and a half year old van for a newer model.  👍👍👍

When I got mine back from it’s last service part of the “tick sheet” was confirmation of the distance between the top of the tyre and the wheel box! Can’t recall exactly what it was and unable to check as it’s currently at the dealers for minor warranty job. (Taken in prior to lockdown)

Edited by Mr Plodd

36 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

When I got mine back from it’s last service part of the “tick sheet” was confirmation of the distance between the top of the tyre and the wheel box! Can’t recall exactly what it was and unable to check as it’s currently at the dealers for minor warranty job. (Taken in prior to lockdown)

new floor? :D

5 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

new floor? :D

Yep, second one in 18 months, oh and the third roof strap along with a new axle ;)

4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

So they're still checking axles for dropping on the newer models ... I'm confused 🤔

Or ensuring that new AL-KO axles don’t suffer from sag. Who knows! 

Can I suggest that potential buyers start paying more attention to the quoted axle capacities, especially the allowance for weight upgrades?  Being a retired engineer this is one of the first things I look for, granted it is not so easy to find in the glossy, fantasy life-style promoting, brochures.

My present 'van has a 100Kg permitted upgrade which, in my opinion, is a relatively small-enough amount compared to the 'van's MTPLM of 1650Kg (standard), however it does give an adequate 'safety margin'. (even so I'm now a little paranoid & check the tyre clearance several times a year!). This is what is lacking on the 'vans that are failing: there is negligible, or even no, safety margin at all. To further compound the problem Bailey saw fit to use flat-topped arch liners simply to accommodate taller fridges without considering the consequences.

When there is little or no weight allowance the axle stands a good chance of being overloaded (even if only momentarily) during normal use. Our atrocious roads see to this.

In Bailey's case I carried out a mini survey (4 years ago on my very large storage site when I was bored), & ALL the Bailey's (approx 20+ of various ages) displayed  signs of one side lower (up to 30+mm!) than the other so I am not in the least surprised that they failed & said so, on here, at the time. In truth there were some other makes as well but much less frequent.

It's just yet another case of 'buyer beware'.

Houston, I may have a problem. With our 2020 Unicorn Black edt.

Water soaking into the floor from the trail edge of the side wall. o/s only right behind the mud flap. It’s growing very small fungi at the moment it’s that wet. Will wait to see what the dealer has to say when they return from lock down 2. We had the exact same issue with the GT65 we part exd. Still happy with the caravan though. 

4 hours ago, Beebs said:

Houston, I may have a problem. With our 2020 Unicorn Black edt.

Water soaking into the floor from the trail edge of the side wall. o/s only right behind the mud flap. It’s growing very small fungi at the moment it’s that wet. Will wait to see what the dealer has to say when they return from lock down 2. We had the exact same issue with the GT65 we part exd. Still happy with the caravan though. 

I've got the same problem down the NSR floor section. Bailey won't cover this issue under warranty. The caravan is  under its winter cover at the moment so hopefully it will recover ... Best of luck 😉

9 hours ago, Silverback said:

I've got the same problem down the NSR floor section. Bailey won't cover this issue under warranty. The caravan is  under its winter cover at the moment so hopefully it will recover ... Best of luck 😉

Got my Pegasus Gt65 Verona repaired under warranty, don't listen to the dealer contact Bailey direct, worked for me, 

I will keep an eye there, it was fine on damp check and service in March,  easy enough to look when checking the tyre pressures!

Rest my case?

Edited by Tuningdrew

13 hours ago, mjohns4 said:

Got my Pegasus Gt65 Verona repaired under warranty, don't listen to the dealer contact Bailey direct, worked for me, 

I have done but it was refer to your dealer ...  Seems Bailey are now saying underfloor damp is not water ingress 🙄

12 hours ago, 664DaveS said:

I will keep an eye there, it was fine on damp check and service in March,  easy enough to look when checking the tyre pressures!

My reports came  back fine because there's no damp to the inside of the floor but dealers do not carry out damp test or even the push your finger through the underside of the floor test. It's not classed as water ingress to the interior of the caravan. 🙄