Rotting floor behind mud flaps on Bailey Cadiz

Our caravan fitter has put the blame of severe rot on the underside of our van behind the mud flaps possibly to ‘floor bolts’ .   Is this possible?   I’m concerned that if this is not the reason (and although they have repaired the damage)  it could all get damp again. 

• JanandJay changed the title to Rotting floor behind mud flaps on Bailey Cadiz
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I am more than happy with my current Bailey!    If we all thought the same way there would only only be a single caravan available.   I am not saying any make is perfect, but I

And all the other makes where the walls part company with the floor, or floors made in two sections that come apart, or roofs not strong enough to support huge skylights, or front and rear ABS panels

Not sure if you're on commission or not, but you still haven't altered my opinion

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Kalan72 said:

Our caravan fitter has put the blame of severe rot on the underside of our van behind the mud flaps possibly to ‘floor bolts’ .   Is this possible?   I’m concerned that if this is not the reason (and although they have repaired the damage)  it could all get damp again. 

How old is the van?

16 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

How old is the van?

5 years 7 months.  The water ingress warranty runs out in March 

1 minute ago, Kalan72 said:

5 years 7 months.  The water ingress warranty runs out in March 

Not good. From what I read on here about Baileys I'm not inclined to invest in one.

• I agree completely 1
4 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Not good. From what I read on here about Baileys I'm not inclined to invest in one.

You think any of the other mass market makes are any better??

All makes have their share of similar type issues. 

As for the cause of the OP’s damp the first place I would be looking at would be the plastic wheel arch liner as there have been incidents of them splitting due to the fixing screws not have had clearance holes drilled first.

Floor bolts??? I would want that clarifying! Possibly the bolts holding the mud flaps going through the floor???

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 2
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

12 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

You think any of the other mass market makes are any better??

All makes have their share of similar type issues. 

As for the cause of the OP’s damp the first place I would be looking at would be the plastic wheel arch liner as there have been incidents of them splitting due to the fixing screws not have had clearance holes drilled first.

Floor bolts??? I would want that clarifying! Possibly the bolts holding the mud flaps going through the floor???

I wouldn't know if other makes are better or not and I doubt anyone else will either. Some , maybe all,  will have inconsistent build quality, all will claim their construction methods are the best.

But, I've only ever read complaints about rotting floors on the particular make in question, and having seen photographs posted here of what I consider to be a poor design for the front stays fixings I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable paying thousands for a brand I have no confidence in.

So, as I said,  I wouldn't invest in one.

• Like 1

And all the other makes where the walls part company with the floor, or floors made in two sections that come apart, or roofs not strong enough to support huge skylights, or front and rear ABS panels cracking, or front gas locker doors leaking??

Most makes have problems on some individual units, but the vast majority sail through their life without problems

• Like 1
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 3

My 2012 Valencia was very damp in that area(at about 3 years) dealer found that the wheel arch liner had split. You need to get that area checked out. The rear locker door was replaced as that was also suspect. 
My dealer found damp in the rear bathroom floor at its last service in January, screws in rear plastic panel were resealed. They said they’d seen leaks in this area on other U2 caravans. 

What is forgotten in threads about damp in new and fairly new vans, is that virtually all marques suffer to a greater or lesser degree, but in this day and age they shouldn't to the extent they do, if at all.

There are plenty of examples on C/T, usually in exactly the same areas time and again  which will only be the tip of the iceberg.

Yet the manufacturers trundle along denying  and failing to recognise there are problems, even after input from dealers doing warranty work, simply happy to dole out a few £'s for the repair rather than addressing and curing the problem permanently, by a combination of providing a permanent solution for those already sold, likewise providing a solution for that model at the point of manufacture for the future.

Though not pertinent to this thread, damp floor, exactly the same can be said of splitting bodywork, where the laughable solution in many cases is to get another plaster from the Elastoplast tin and stick it on, knowing full well it will re-occur.

Dealer comments are interesting, those who say ' that's the first time I've seen that' to the honest ones who say ' many of them do that ' !

It's so sad to see posts where after purchasing a £20,000 - £30,000 and more van, we see comments on C/T such as ' first time out and the roof leaks' , ' only 3, 6, 12 months old and I've found damp ' ,  ' anyone know why this panel has split ' etc.  and I'm sure many of those with these faults will be left with a sour taste in their mouth with the constant thoughts of will it happen again.

Question is why do van manufacturers continue to let this happen ?

• Like 2

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, Kalan72 said:

Have they checked the axle clearance?

You need to have at least 25mm from the tyre to the underside of the axle box.

14 minutes ago, Will deBeast said:

Have they checked the axle clearance?

You need to have at least 25mm from the tyre to the underside of the axle box.

Why would insufficient axle clearance cause floor rot behind the the mud flaps, other than if the tyre wore a hole in the top of the mudflap ?

Just asking !

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

Why would insufficient axle clearance cause floor rot behind the the mud flaps, other than if the tyre wore a hole in the top of the mudflap ?

Just asking !

My friend first realised he had an axle issue when he found road spray inside the caravan.  The tyre had made a small hole in the axle box.

As well as a new axle, he had to have new tyres, new axle boxes and some rot cut out.

Edited by Will deBeast
4 hours ago, Will deBeast said:

My friend first realised he had an axle issue when he found road spray inside the caravan.  The tyre had made a small hole in the axle box.

As well as a new axle, he had to have new tyres, new axle boxes and some rot cut out.

If you think about that for a moment the fault isn’t with the construction method or quality control of the caravan, it’s down to a failure of the AL-KO chassis that the caravan is sat on! The same as a fridge failure isn’t down to Swift/Bailey/Elddis but Thetford/Dometic. 

• Like 1
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 1

Yes Andy but it always seems to be Baileys that have rotten floors on comparitively young caravans. That and the leaky roof straps is why I’d never have one. Despite some Swift’s having floor/wall joint problems I’d have another Swift tomorrow. Reason being Seift have identified a problem in their construction and rectified it. Baileys are still churning out the flawed AluTec stuff today. 

Edited by Tuningdrew
Typo
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Yes Andy but it always seems to be Baileys that have rotten floors on comparitively young caravans. That and the leaky roof straps is why I’d never have one. Despite some Swift’s having floor/wall joint problems I’d have another Swift tomorrow. 

And I am more than happy with my current Bailey! 

If we all thought the same way there would only only be a single caravan available.

I am not saying any make is perfect, but I am saying most manufacturers have their own share of “defects” and again it’s only a small proportion of the total number that do.

• Like 1
  • I disagree 3
  • I agree completely 2

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

If you think about that for a moment the fault isn’t with the construction method or quality control of the caravan, it’s down to a failure of the AL-KO chassis that the caravan is sat on! The same as a fridge failure isn’t down to Swift/Bailey/Elddis but Thetford/Dometic. 

I agree with you to a point.  But when I was running a business, my customers would (rightly) hold me accountable for the subcontractors I selected and used.  The caravan makers get away with it because we know that they actually have very few supply choices - so they are as much a victim of the poor quality as we are.

I'm sticking with my caravan for now, but don't intend to ever buy another.

2 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

Yes Andy but it always seems to be Baileys that have rotten floors on comparitively young caravans. That and the leaky roof straps is why I’d never have one. Despite some Swift’s having floor/wall joint problems I’d have another Swift tomorrow. Reason being Seift have identified a problem in their construction and rectified it. Baileys are still churning out the flawed AluTec stuff today. 

To be fair, the leaky roof strap was a minor issue (for me at least).  No damage caused and fixed in a couple of hours.

Accountable yes, but responsible? Er no!

• I disagree 1

On 03/11/2020 at 16:11, Mr Plodd said:

2018 Uni 4 .... My underfloor is going soft at the rear nearside corner and further along the edge . Nowhere near the AL-KO chassis 🤔 

• Like 2

I'm with Andy, most people are happy with their Baileys  let's face the only place you can get damp in one is the floor unlike the other makes. Each make has  issues just as in any consumer item. The Swift front recall doesn't appear to be going well for eg..Easy to list faults on them all sadly . 

Edited by Jezzerb
On 03/11/2020 at 16:11, Mr Plodd said:

I have to disagree. It's not the AL-KO chassis that's failed it's the axle and remember the same AL-KO Euro Axle was fitted to all other caravan manufacturers including those built on the continent. If you purchase a component that just fits into the caravan technical requirements to save 50 to 100 quid per axle then what do you expect. 🤔

Edited by Silverback
  • I agree completely 3

And the axle in manufactured by???

If you buy a block and tackle  that’s sold as being able to lift  1000kg and when you use it to lift that load it fails is it your fault? Of course not! So why is it the caravan makers fault when and item they have purchased, to do a specific job, fails??

The axles didn’t physically break, it was the rubber used to provide the suspension medium that compressed too much over time, thus reducing the ride height and bringing the wheel and tyre too close to the wheel arch.

• I disagree 2

9 hours ago, Silverback said:

I have to disagree. It's not the AL-KO chassis that's failed it's the axle and remember the same AL-KO Euro Axle was fitted to all other caravan manufacturers including those built on the continent. If you purchase a component that just fits into the caravan technical requirements to save 50 to 100 quid per axle then what do you expect. 🤔

And if you look on other forums you will find a similar failures reported across all makes.  The AL-KO part numbers are common across makes.   

• I agree completely 2

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

None so blind as those who will not see ??

(Or accept facts over misguided personal opinion) 

• Thanks 1
  • I disagree 3

7 hours ago, Alan Stanley said:

And if you look on other forums you will find a similar failures reported across all makes.  The AL-KO part numbers are common across makes.   

Could you guide me to these none Bailey AL-KO axle problems please ... 🤔