Jump to content
Message added by CT Advertising,

Caravan Guard Logo.png Specialist Caravan Insurance from Caravan Guard protects your tourer against accidental damage, fire, theft, storm and flood damage. Find out why their customers rated them Excellent on Trustpilot.com. Get a quote today.

 

Recommended Posts

Time to renew our car insurance, quote from our current company +20%,  quote from one of the clubs +£500 ( yes £500 ), from the other club +10%,  Saga quote around  the  price I paid last year, with no restriction on European travel. They also have the 3 year price hold providing, of course, that nothing substantial alters. Getting a quote on the website was very easy and the “ live chat “ works well.

The add on U.K. breakdown with Saga/RAC  is competitive against our current Green Flag policy and has the possibility of adding European cover at a very decent cost. 
Looks like I will be changing to Saga.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am with Saga for my Discovery and just changed to them for my wife's Mini, went for the 3 year fixed but can cancel at the end of the first year If I want without a penalty.

 

Will still shop around next year though.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, alfie tucker said:

Have found saga gives better deals to new customers not so good deals for existing customers 

Have to say that has been my experience but, with the fixed price for the 2 renewals ( making 3 years in all ) that is not a problem now.  Also, if I find a better deal when I get to renewal, I can walk away. What’s not to like??

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Saga have never come anywhere close for me on any insurance, be it motor, home or caravan.

With most quotes from them the difference has been quite substantial.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

Saga have never come anywhere close for me on any insurance, be it motor, home or caravan.

With most quotes from them the difference has been quite substantial.

Could you read my post earlier today where I showed that Saga were more than competitive.  That explains why I am moving their way.  Perhaps at your next renewal it might be worthwhile for you to do a comparison. 

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

Could you read my post earlier today where I showed that Saga were more than competitive.  That explains why I am moving their way.  Perhaps at your next renewal it might be worthwhile for you to do a comparison. 

 

Over the years I’ve done many comparisons, and as I said before, they have never managed to come anywhere close. Don’t know why because I haven’t made claims and don’t live in a particularly high risk area with loaded premiums.

Just one of those Insurance peculiarities I suppose because I know that many, like yourself, find Saga competitive, but not me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

 

Over the years I’ve done many comparisons, and as I said before, they have never managed to come anywhere close. Don’t know why because I haven’t made claims and don’t live in a particularly high risk area with loaded premiums.

Just one of those Insurance peculiarities I suppose because I know that many, like yourself, find Saga competitive, but not me.

 

Same with me (rural area, no claims for over 20 years)  SAGA have never been anywhere near competitive. I have been with LV for a few years now, and yes I do follow my own advice and shop around each year.

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Link to post
Share on other sites

LV and direct line have never been competitive for me unfortunately. Churchill used to be and I insured with them for many years but not now. I think they are the same company as Direct Line now.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

SAGA is a decent reliable insurance so to me it should not be a problem. I would check the RAC cover though against the clubs policies to see if you have the double recovery and other benefits the clubs give. I think you would be hard pressed to bet the price and cover on Mayday though, and from what has been said lately the service is better although I have not had to use either for some years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ian16527 said:

LV and direct line have never been competitive for me unfortunately. Churchill used to be and I insured with them for many years but not now. I think they are the same company as Direct Line now.

 

 

Just proves the point, Direct Line have been lowest for our cars for years now, and have been with Direct Line and LV for home insurance previously, but RIAS have come into play this year.

Ironically, neither Direct Line nor LV have been able to get close to our caravan insurance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, alfie tucker said:

Have found saga gives better deals to new customers not so good deals for existing customers 

I beg to differ. New customer quote I got back in November. My renewal with eSure was £550

 

Untitled.thumb.png.219adca80d23feaf8fb54df65aa51a47.png

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

 

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Link to post
Share on other sites

HOW much??

 

Thats just ludicrous ! 

The thing to do is when you speak to the various companies ask them exactly who the underwriters are! (Aviva, LV, Ageas etc) 

Then, you will see who offers you the best deal as it’s the underwriting company that provides the cover and pays out the money. 

 

Shop around every renewal time is the only sensible thing to do,

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do the annual "insurance dance" for all the major renewals, cars, house and caravan. Every year after I turned 60. I tried Saga and it was always much more expensive that any of the others, then, around 4 years ago, they suddenly became one of the cheapest, don't know why, nothing had changed, same cars, same address and the same annual mileage. I did try NFU after receiving a mail shot from them, sent to my address by them. When I asked for a quote, they declined because, in their own words, "you aren't rural enough". When I pointed out that they had sent the mail shot to my address, they mumbled an apology and promised to remove me from their mailing list. Odd company because the lady who "cat sits" for us and who lives around one mile from us IS insured with NFU.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

HOW much??

 

Thats just ludicrous ! 

The thing to do is when you speak to the various companies ask them exactly who the underwriters are! (Aviva, LV, Ageas etc) 

Then, you will see who offers you the best deal as it’s the underwriting company that provides the cover and pays out the money. 

 

Shop around every renewal time is the only sensible thing to do,

Went to Direct Line, who until this year were one of the most expensive. 

Renewal is less than 2 monthly payments to Saga :D

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

 

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only speak as I find every time I have been insured with saga when it was time to re insure out of 3 quotes saga was the dearest a year later as I was not with saga they was the best price ?

With insurance everyone circumstances are different so what works for one may not work for someone else

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...