Gas Bottle Hissing - Bubbling

Hi

There is a new sound coming from my gas bottle in my caravan hissing and bubbling sound. I turned it off at tank and connector and the sound has stopped.

What the cause of it is that normal? Is new to me.

Thanks

No it’s not normal, it sounds like you have a leak or perhaps the failing of a regulator etc. Leave it switched off and get it checked out professionally, I might be wrong, but for your own piece of mind and safety get it checked.

get a spray bottle with some washing up liquid mixed with water and spray around the connections it will soon show where the leaks is ,,

Is this with gas being "drawn off" or not?

I have never heard the gas boiling off, but that is what happens so it might be perceptible for some with acute hearing, the more so at excessive rates of take off.

I have heard regulators making "flow" noises, but very quietly in the scale of things.

Any smell of gas when you can hear  the hissing sound and is it  does definitely come from the bottle area ?

As Rob says, test for leakage at all the joints around the bottle and all over the reg.

As JTQ says, is this with the bottle turned on, but all gas consumers turned off, if you can hear the hissing with consumers  off it could be the reg diaphragm ruptured, the gas would come from the small hole under the reg which allows atmospheric pressure to the underside of the diaphragm.

The bubbling sound is odd though, as JTQ says, you can sometimes hear the flow of gas through the valve and diaphragm, is the bubbling more of a creaking / clicking sound, this can be sometimes heard as the diaphragm moves up and down to control the pressure against a spring.

Borrow or buy a diaphragm to test, they're not a fortune and if it proves to be something else, it could be kept in use or used as a spare.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

You could also check for any liquid/oil in the hose/pipes/regulator.

👍 Paul, the source of many odd and hard to find faults with LPG, mainly propane.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Any smell of gas when you can hear  the hissing sound and is it  does definitely come from the bottle area ?

As Rob says, test for leakage at all the joints around the bottle and all over the reg.

As JTQ says, is this with the bottle turned on, but all gas consumers turned off, if you can hear the hissing with consumers  off it could be the reg diaphragm ruptured, the gas would come from the small hole under the reg which allows atmospheric pressure to the underside of the diaphragm.

The bubbling sound is odd though, as JTQ says, you can sometimes hear the flow of gas through the valve and diaphragm, is the bubbling more of a creaking / clicking sound, this can be sometimes heard as the diaphragm moves up and down to control the pressure against a spring.

Borrow or buy a diaphragm to test, they're not a fortune and if it proves to be something else, it could be kept in use or used as a spare.

Yes it does come from bottle I turned it off and no sound me now thinks regulator 

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/10/2020 at 19:05, wolfgang1983 said:

Yes it does come from bottle I turned it off and no sound me now thinks regulator 

So did you sort it?  It's always useful to know the outcome in such matters.  

4 hours ago, rovinmad said:

So did you sort it?  It's always useful to know the outcome in such matters.  

Yes,  maybe we can all learn something from this ?

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

We had our reg changed as part of the service, but don't recall when...6 years interval? 

Internet says 10 years...also found this..

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/gas-regulator-change-has-resulted-in-blame-game