We have a bailey Pursuit 430/4 and there seems to be a problem with water getting into the nearside rear locker - this is the large locker under the fixed bed.

When I open the locker, water dripping off the upper edge falls into the locker annoying but not a major issue. However, last weekend following an overnight deluge I found quite a bit of water in the plastic tray in this locker. 

I notice that the locker for the battery has a much more pronounced rim around the outside that takes water away from the side of the van allowing to drip to the ground, whereas the rear locker sits almost flush with the side of the van.

Just wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem and how they solved it?

Thanks

Rob

The lockers are a standard item and common to almost all makes. A leak will normally be a faulty seal. I would check to see if it has moved or been damaged, as if either correcting it should solve the problem.

• Like 1

The water in the tray isn't a massive problem when things like this happen, it's if the water has been seeping under the tray for a while and the floor is wet.

So yes the leak needs to be sorted but don't forget that the water could travel elsewhere.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Thanks -was going to get new seal but was wondering about improving the "lip" around the locker so water dripped off a few mm away from the side of the van and not into the locker when open

All the seals should be periodically given a good dose of silicone lube; helps keep them supple and fat so they seal-might be worth doing that as an easy first fix? unless the seal is obviously damaged.

2 hours ago, Treesparrow said:

Thanks -was going to get new seal but was wondering about improving the "lip" around the locker so water dripped off a few mm away from the side of the van and not into the locker when open

Is it worth the bother?

The door is only open for a few seconds, and any water that does go in will just evaporate quickly, and it's all plastic in there anyway.

• I do not understand 1
9 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

Is it worth the bother?

The door is only open for a few seconds, and any water that does go in will just evaporate quickly, and it's all plastic in there anyway.

Are you sure about that, the rear locker on our Swift opens up to the under bed space, the base is actually the caravan floor and not plastic at all, so any water ingress can and no doubt will find its way to the wood underneath the floor covering.

• I agree completely 1

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

No - there's a plastic tray but it would appear to be wooden floor, albeit with what looks like plastic sheet stuck to it - so certainly water could get into the fabric. However irrespective of minor nature, it would appear to be a design flaw - is it that hard to design a hatch? 

Some of the access hatches on my previous model did not have a lip above the seals at all and were prone to water getting past them.

I fitted some Fiamma Drip Stops tight above the hatch top edges and although not the most aesthetically pleasing of solutions worked perfectly and the lockers stayed dry once fitted.

20201031_043222.thumb.png.096d8cb456e43ef4f7b167d73183b268.png

• Like 1

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

I had the same problem with rain getting past locker seals after heavy rain, even after fitting new seals. I tried the Fiamma drip stop but it kept curling up and I had cleaned and degreased the area properly. I think I may have stored it for too long before using it. I ended up using an aluminium drip stop which does the job and looks okayish. I didn't screw it on, it's stuck on with soudal fixall high tack.

IMG_2838 (2).JPG

Item-6193-1_1024x1024@2x (2).jpg

Edited by johntog

Glad to see I'm not the only one! Old seal knackered - new length on order from seals direct but think I'll see what I have knocking around to make an overhanging lip above the locker.