Hello

A few days ago SWMBO asked me what I wanted for Christmas. "No idea", I replied.

"How about something for the caravan?" She said. 

"Well I fancy a 'caravan' toaster", was my first thought.

So, I've done a bit of googling and come up with a plethora of  options, rather an overwhelming number indeed. Which is why I thought that I'd ask for recommendations here.

It's not something I need, it is to be a gift, so I don't need to know why I don't need one, or what else I could use, or that I could use the grill (I already do that), a toaster for our caravan is something that I merely 'want'.

If anyone has any recommendations of which to buy or conversely which to avoid, I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Thank you in anticipation...

BH

As I don’t have any electrical items such as toaster or kettle, I’m not really able to offer first hand experience, but the obvious thing is low wattage, and it needs to be robust enough to take being bounced down the UK roads. 

I find that the cheap budget one that is recommended  for students is as good as anything and we buy the  Russell hobbs travel kettle from Argos 

• I agree completely 3

A cheap low wattage one from Tesco is as good as any. A tenner will do it.

Any toaster is likely to be mains so I trust you realise you must have EHU for a toaster - or use the gas toaster.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We bought this one from a caravan accessory shop 15 years ago and it's still working well!  It draws around 3 amps in use.  Don't know if they're still available but this one has been a very good buy.

toaster1.jpg

toaster2.jpg

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

12 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

We bought this one from a caravan accessory shop 15 years ago and it's still working well!  It draws around 3 amps in use.  Don't know if they're still available but this one has been a very good buy.

toaster1.jpg

toaster2.jpg

I have the same one and mine came from a caravan shop and had mine about the same time as you. The only thing that I find is the size of the slice of bread that fits into the slots, they are quite shallow so I would say check what depth you will need.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

10 minutes ago, Doosan said:

I have the same one and mine came from a caravan shop and had mine about the same time as you. The only thing that I find is the size of the slice of bread that fits into the slots, they are quite shallow so I would say check what depth you will need.

Good point, we tend to toast lightly one way then flip them round the other way.  It doesn't help that all three of us prefer our toast done to different levels (wife-rare, daughter-medium, me-well done)!!!

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

We have a cheap one from Tesco's. I think we have used it once, it lives under the seat as its a bit bulky for the cupboards and neither of us can be bothered to get it out to use and toast our bread and crumpets in the grill.

Reminds me to take it out and save the weight and space... Anybody want to buy a 4 year old toaster used once but high mileage.... (it will probably end up in the loft with the rest of the overspill items...)

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

51 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Any toaster is likely to be mains so I trust you realise you must have EHU for a toaster - or use the gas toaster.

Here you go, a simple off grid toaster, does four at once, packs away neatly and won't add much to the van payload. 😁

Used one for years in vans that didn't have hookup, or even 12v.

Also used  when I used to go for wandering  weekend camping trips with the lads and grandchildren.

It would be OK for Gary B1969, everyone can do their own slice to their own perfection. 😋😂🤣😉

image.thumb.png.8192418f4d4ceda833aa7a7acfb0276f.png

Edited by Silversurf

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

We have never bothered and just make toast under the grill. Needs a bit of turning to get it even, but we have yet to find a toaster that takes a large slice fully, or manages to toast evenly. Not sure that a toaster is worth the room it takes up.

We bought one quite recently. the sum of our research:

Our local caravan centre sells one for £15, it's a "special caravan one" with low wattage (700w) and has the brand name of a well known caravan accessory manufacturer on it. It is quite small and will not take anything bigger than "square" supermarket type bread. 

Wilko sell exactly the same toaster without the brand name, exactly the same even down to the placing and shape of the buttons, but this one has a "powerful 700w toasting action". In Wilko's it's £6.99. Same problem with size however. 

Argos "cookworks" basic toaster is 800W, has bigger slots and will just about take a slice of "farmhouse" type bread. Available in any colour you want, as long as you want black or white. yours for a tenner. It still struggles with bloomer shaped slices.That's what we went for but I imagine similar models are available in Tesco, Asda, Curry's etc. Just avoid fancy gadgets, posh finishes, four slice capacity etc as in our experience they come with higher wattage. 

IMHO every van should have a toaster, much easier than messing the grill pan up or getting crumbs all over your hob. make your toast and shake the crumbs out for the robins afterwards plus I'd much rather use the site's electricity where I can, than the contents of my gas bottle. 

Edited by PMW
  • Like 1

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

19 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

Here you go, a simple off grid toaster, does four at once, packs away neatly and won't add much to the van payload. 😁

Used one for years in vans that didn't have hookup, or even 12v.

Also used  when I used to go for wandering  weekend camping trips with the lads and grandchildren.

It would be OK for Gary B1969, everyone can do their own slice to their own perfection. 😋😂🤣😉

image.thumb.png.8192418f4d4ceda833aa7a7acfb0276f.png

You did better than me. I bought one and threw it away after a few tries when all it did was dry the bread.

6 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

We have never bothered and just make toast under the grill. Needs a bit of turning to get it even, but we have yet to find a toaster that takes a large slice fully, or manages to toast evenly. Not sure that a toaster is worth the room it takes up.

Perhaps it's me, but the grill in my van does is useless at toasting bread.

If on EHU I use a mains one, if not on EHU, I don't bother with toast.

Having looked around, every electric toaster I've seen in the shops can be classed as "low wattage" in that they were all less than 1kw.

Edited by daveat92
  • I agree completely 1

I must say I do like my slice of bread chucked into the frying pan with the juices from the bacon and fry until crispy, lovely jubbly. ;)

• I agree completely 4

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

I would buy an ordinary really nice domestic toaster you really like and likewise kettle and jjust keep an eye on the amp situation on said site; we got fed up of the slow caravan kettle v early on in our caravanning life.

• I agree completely 1
2 hours ago, Doosan said:

I must say I do like my slice of bread chucked into the frying pan with the juices from the bacon and fry until crispy, lovely jubbly. ;)

As a teenager I went camping with a girlfriend and her family, me in my own tent then of course,🙄 her dad was a blacksmith and always cooked Sunday breakfast at home or away, the only time he cooked anything. 😆

Sunday breakfast was sausage, bacon, fried bread, beans, toast,  black pudding and mushrooms if he could forage any and the best fried eggs ever.

The bacon fat in the pan was added to in a saucepan as the days went on , Alf got it almost smoking hot, dropped the eggs in and quickly ladled the fat over them so that the white was cooked through and the yolk was nice and runny with a nice opaque film on top, but the best bit was a halo of nice crispy, but not burnt, white around the egg.

All cooked on a couple of Optimus double burner paraffin ' roarer ' stoves and normally, cooking for six,  needed two sittings, no rush at all on holiday. 😁

• Like 1

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, flashgordon said:

with 89 meters of cable I'm not surprised it's a best buy. You needn't worry about current then, you could plug it in the club house!

Personally I would steer well clear of high power appliances in the caravan. We've just spent a week on a site with 8a hookups and remembering to switch the heating off before putting the kettle on was a real bind. I certainly wouldn't want to be bothering to switch everything off before using the kettle because it was drawing 3kw on it's own everytime we take the caravan away. 

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

3 hours ago, PMW said:

with 89 meters of cable I'm not surprised it's a best buy. You needn't worry about current then, you could plug it in the club house!

Personally I would steer well clear of high power appliances in the caravan. We've just spent a week on a site with 8a hookups and remembering to switch the heating off before putting the kettle on was a real bind. I certainly wouldn't want to be bothering to switch everything off before using the kettle because it was drawing 3kw on it's own everytime we take the caravan away. 

For a quick and easy slice of toast I would be prepared to turn off my electric water heater or caravan electric heating for the 3 minutes it takes, most domestic toasters are 800-1500w depending on how many slots they have hardly a major drain on an electric hook up and certainly easier than dealing with the lumbago encountered when trying not to turn bread into carbon using the gas grill method. I use a Tesco 1500 watt electric kettle when on hook up and have never tripped a bollard but it does involve a bit of common sense and co-ordination of appliance use. (I suspect it should have read .89m in the tech review)

Edited by flashgordon
  • Like 1

Just get the frying pan out a smear of butter or oil bung in the bread turn on gas/electric-perfect toast.

As taught to me during my sail boat racing days 5 decades ago😊.

I just knew it wouldn't be an easy question! :blush:

Thanks for ll your answers so far. We are used to low wattage as we caravan in Europe where we are often on 6 amp and in Morocco this year sometimes it was even lower.

As I said the the original post, a toaster is not something I feel I need, it is simple something I want SWMBO to buy me for Christmas, a bit of frivolity  really.

I have my eye on this from Kampa.

BH

2 hours ago, Blackhart said:

Thanks for ll your answers so far. We are used to low wattage as we caravan in Europe where we are often on 6 amp and in Morocco this year sometimes it was even lower.

As I said the the original post, a toaster is not something I feel I need, it is simple something I want SWMBO to buy me for Christmas, a bit of frivolity  really.

BH

Expensive for what it is!

2 hours ago, Blackhart said:

BH

we bought this  https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/low-wattage-toaster-700w-silver/2222

works OK for us, a bit pricey but OH wanted a silver kettle and toaster.