Cancelled my CMC subscription

Actually got round to cancelling our membership today with the caravan and motorhome club. Been a member since 1993. Had good use of membership with CL's. We found some gems. Loved every minute, but we have lost the mojo.

We have no caravan, won't have another.

Won't miss the magazine either, although a friend offered to bring his magazine round when they  had finished reading it.:D..

BUT could it all change.....nope! 

I've been tempted to think about giving up caravaning in view of this year and restrictions and its many cancellations of holidays and rallies but so far resisted giving up.

Yes there seems no point in you being in a club that you aren't going to use the facilities of.

Hope you will continue to read the forum and give the rest of advice.

Best wishes for your future hobbies.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

12 hours ago, Lady Bird said:

Actually got round to cancelling our membership today with the caravan and motorhome club. Been a member since 1993. Had good use of membership with CL's. We found some gems. Loved every minute, but we have lost the mojo.

Won't miss the magazine either, although a friend offered to bring his magazine round when they  had finished reading it.:D..

BUT could it all change.....nope! 

Hi lady B, I am feeling a bit the same way,I am not in a club,but with our trip to Spain cancelled this week,our age,etc. We see the prospect of a long cold winter,first in uk for fifteen years,then if things do improve in 21 ,limited foreign travel for certain, and as for U.K. campsites,well I feel they will be so crowded they will not be that pleasant to be,and local rural areas will be swamped,every time the sun shines.   Great shame,but we may be forced to pack it in.

last year I was thinking of cancelling my membership, but with covid , it paid for itself really. We were booked to go out in March and had to cancel, because of covid,.  Similar  happened  again when England came out of lock down before Wales and we had booked Wales, so no deposits lost there.  We did go out on three separate occasions in the van which TBH we wouldn't have bothered doing if we didn't have the van.  Now in lock down again we are glad that we did have a little break last summer  to sustain us for the coming winter.

Holidaying full stop has changed dramatically this year and I personally think that any hopes of returning to normality within the next few years is wishful thinking unless a genuinely effective cure is found.  We only holiday in the caravan and in the UK so it's not such an issue for us, however the complete economic uncertainty leading to business (and businesses) falling could well curtail UK holidays for a good many.

We won't be getting rid of the caravan or cancelling any memberships BUT we will have to adapt to a very different holiday process and have to accept that re-making pre-arranged plans could well be the "new normal".  It's horrible, it really is, but at the minute there is no alternative or wonder-cure.

• I agree completely 2

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Oh dear, really don't like seeing people giving up their hobbies after so many years although can see the reasons whether it be travel restrictions, health or financial.

I to have contemplated giving up our CMC membership but have decided to carry it on for a while although we are using UK commercial sites more and more rather than club sites.

So far this year we have booked the sites we wanted when we wanted and so far we have not had a problem booking a couple of sites, OK you might have to be a bit aware of where and when but so far in our experience we have not encountered any booking issues, OK we err towards Adult only sites and are not tied to school holidays etc. Granted with some of the travel restrictions with us now and probably coming up it might get a bit more challenging but our fair Island has plenty of good places to go that are safe and enjoyable.

I wish you all well for whatever your new pastimes maybe. 

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

We are like many, have had the worst caravanning year ever. We have been caravanning for 45 years and have always enjoyed it Winter and Summer. We had a week on a fully serviced CL in September but found we didnt want to go out anywhere really because of this virus, so stayed in the caravan. We have cancelled everything from CL's to full blown French 5 week trip. The caravan sits there on the drive waiting, the club membership fees and insurances get paid, we keep talking about where we will go next. We refuse to give up though. We will be back next year.  

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Ern

Talk about bad timing. We bought a new van in March and were due to collect just after COVID lockdown hit, so  were unable to pick it up until June. Our meticulously planned month long tour of Europe in June/July obviously was cancelled. We've only managed a couple of short UK breaks and a hoped for winter sojourn to the sun looks very unlikely. We accept COVID is with us for the long term but we keep hoping next year will be better. 

I've occupied myself in the meantime with lots of personalised improvements to the van so that we're ready when the time comes  . . . 

• Like 1

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

17 minutes ago, Ern said:

We had a week on a fully serviced CL in September but found we didnt want to go out anywhere really because of this virus, so stayed in the caravan. 

Ern, I don't know how you are mobility wise but there's some cracking CL's in the UK etc with so many walks that avoid "the masses", especially outside of the school holidays.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Ern, I don't know how you are mobility wise but there's some cracking CL's in the UK etc with so many walks that avoid "the masses", especially outside of the school holidays.  

Totally agree with Gary, we are hopefully away next week for a 5 days on the Sussex coast, van will be packed with food for the trip, we will be out walking on the beaches etc, well away from other folk, only foray into the population will be to fuel the car and possibly a take away. Normally we would have a couple of pub lunches but will give that a miss.

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

3 minutes ago, Jacko1 said:

Normally we would have a couple of pub lunches but will give that a miss.

That was something we always enjoyed when away but after trying one or two when we were in Yorkshire in August we have given it up.  The pubs we went in had some excellent social distancing and other precautions in place but the atmosphere just wasn't the same.  Our hot plate & barbecue now get a lot of use and Google gets a hammering researching good local butchers and fishmongers.

Will be hanging in with both clubs, after all the subs are not amounts that really impact. Will not be selling the van either, that's 13 years old and owned from new, and has a retail value way lower than its value to us.

We have been able since July to get to a few 5 van sites of both Clubs and one CCC rally. Way different to the 40 plus preceding years and disappointing, but then getting away is so therapeutic for both of us that we are not going to throw the towel in. What would be left?

Very disappointed not to get to France, that's two years in a row now following a health issue. Hoping that we can in 2021, but feel even if Covid does not screw it up the politicians will have done big time, with us only being welcomed by those directly getting our money, the warmth we have known for decades having gone.

So its scanning the DAs and Centres to find some appeal through the 2021 season, and do some of those long distance UK visits to 5 van sites in locations we have promised ourselves, "we must do some time", but never got around to, escaping to our much loved France always wining.

Edited by JTQ
  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Sites are still open. Yes, they were shut for a while in early days, but the majority have been open for some time now.

I've been away 5 times this year and will be away again next week. 

All on C&CC or C&MH sites.

Some have toilets and showers open, some closed, but not many caravans don't have toilets and showers fitted anyway.

We need to be a member as we use the CAMH storage and they have the best site near to where we have family in two locations and the Green Flag offering. Indeed the clubs site at Newport in Wales is just about the only one in the area. Even if this was not the case I would still be a member as we like their sites which fit in with what we want.

Thank you for all your replies.

We have three cottage holidays booked for next year. We have had two brilliant ones this year. One in North Wales and recently in Haverigg Cumbria. The caravan mojo won't be back as

No stress towing. No faffing about finding a pitch, no faffing about setting up the caravan, levelling etc,  no Nosey neighbours, no trek to the toilet block(we never used our on board facilities unless on CL's) 

No faffing about putting stuff away.

No filling water container etc.

Let's hope next year will be kind to us whether we are caravaning or cottages, tenting etc. 

• Sad 1

We are 50/50 whether to call it a day, we lost our Little Max last year in January,  then Oscar later in the year in November, then to top it off Covid19. We have been away 3 times this year it just isn't the same.

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

55 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Thanks for your post. We use primarily CL's and CS's in the UK. We look for those with no facilities and enjoy using our own, and the quietness of this type of site.  My mobility is temporarily limited but usually we like walking. Walking to a nice pub with a beer garden for a midday Guiness is a treat! As for pub grub, not really at the moment. What we have been perfecting though is lightweight picnics, and these have become the norm this year. There should be a new thread for this alone (Picnicking). Come on someone!

1 hour ago, KnausCol said:

Talk about bad timing. We bought a new van in March and were due to collect just after COVID lockdown hit, so  were unable to pick it up until June. Our meticulously planned month long tour of Europe in June/July obviously was cancelled. We've only managed a couple of short UK breaks and a hoped for winter sojourn to the sun looks very unlikely. We accept COVID is with us for the long term but we keep hoping next year will be better. 

I've occupied myself in the meantime with lots of personalised improvements to the van so that we're ready when the time comes  . . . 

I felt for you with your new caravan being unable to get going. Frustrating no doubt. I was following your thread about voltage to fridge, then the question about 13pin connection Amps. Have you sorted it out now?

Ern

12 minutes ago, Lady Bird said:

Thank you for all your replies.

We have three cottage holidays booked for next year. We have had two brilliant ones this year. One in North Wales and recently in Haverigg Cumbria. The caravan mojo won't be back as

No stress towing. No faffing about finding a pitch, no faffing about setting up the caravan, levelling etc,  no Nosey neighbours, no trek to the toilet block(we never used our on board facilities unless on CL's) 

Let's hope next year will be kind to us whether we are caravaning or cottages, tenting etc. 

we used to do the holiday cottages before we we had the caravan, but they are two distinctly  different holidays and if you feel that caravanning is a lot of faffing about and nosy neighbours then I would say that you have made the right choice in giving up the caravan.    Good luck in your new adventures

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Ern said:

. Walking to a nice pub with a beer garden for a midday Guiness is a treat! As for pub grub, not really at the moment. What we have been perfecting though is lightweight picnics, and these have become the norm this year. There should be a new thread for this alone (Picnicking). Come on someone!

Guinness! Now you are talking! Love the stuff! 

Why don't you start a picnic thread.  What is your favourite?

The title is a little misleading

"Cancelled my CMC subscription" which I read as disgruntlement with CMC.

But you have actually stopped carvanning altogether.

• Like 1
  • I do not understand 3

Imho the future of caravanning is rosy. While everybody I know who’s holidays start & end at an airport have had their holiday plans destroyed at least us caravaners have been able to get away if we wanted to.

I collected my new caravan in July delayed from May went straight to France & returned only recently. Stopped out on sites in southern France no probs they wern’t that busy. So a caravan year for us almost as normal.

From what I hear caravan sales are booming as people discover a better way of going on holiday in UK or the over water. The only issue in the UK will be overcrowded campsites I guess which is why we mostly go to France.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, joanie said:

we used to do the holiday cottages before we we had the caravan, but they are two distinctly  different holidays and if you feel that caravanning is a lot of faffing about and nosy neighbours then I would say that you have made the right choice in giving up the caravan.    Good luck in your new adventures

Thank you Joanie.

We have some really happy memories of caravan holidays. If our favourite cl site at Maxey had not closed it would be different. It was only nine miles down the road, the lads could fish, so peaceful. 

14 hours ago, Lady Bird said:

Why is that I wonder??

15 minutes ago, Lady Bird said:

OH! Thats why!!

If you see towing from that perspective then I can see why you might give up however, this thread, as with the majority tends to drift and in doing so covers several issues from is it worth paying club fees, if not using the sites, to avoiding contact with people while out.

We have used two sites both with the blocks open, enjoyed meals out and have never felt unsafe, in fact that has happened only a couple of times and both in holiday towns close by.

I hope that whatever you do, holiday wise, works out for you.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

The title is a little misleading

"Cancelled my CMC subscription" which I read as disgruntlement with CMC.

But you have actually stopped carvanning altogether.

No it isn't misleading at all. Straight to the point. I have no gripes with the club. 

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Lady Bird, we stopped touring about nine years ago for some of the same reasons you are, and that’s when we bought our static.

We too do cottage holidays although we’ve cancelled two this year due to COVID,

There is life beyond touring... 😁