Gas bottle level check

Has anyone used this to check the gas level in the refillable bottles?

https://tinleytech.co.uk/shop/lpg-parts/electrical/level-senders-displays-and-switches/bluetooth-level-sender-for-gas-bottles/

or can anyone recommend anything else?

thanks

Damien

I am sure that will do the job, but at the best part of forty quid it should do. 

I rely on the old fashioned “pick it up and shake it” method.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

May not be an ideal method if your gas is in a locker but simply pour some hot water down the side of the bottle. Leave it for a minute or so. Look or feel for a line where it is dry above and wet below. The line indicates the gas level. Cheap, quick and accurate enough.

The description says "Place it under your tank" So it's simply a weight scale.

Much cheaper and just as accurate, possibly more so, to simply use luggage scales. And no phone needed.

Subtract the tare weight (weight of empty cylinder) from the total and you have how much is left.

The full eight is marked on the side of the cylinder (often 6kg if propane (red cylinder), or 7kg if butane (blue cylinder).

Calor Lite are 4.7kg

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

1 hour ago, daveat92 said:

The description says "Place it under your tank" So it's simply a weight scale.

Much cheaper and just as accurate, possibly more so, to simply use luggage scales. And no phone needed.

Subtract the tare weight (weight of empty cylinder) from the total and you have how much is left.

The full eight is marked on the side of the cylinder (often 6kg if propane (red cylinder), or 7kg if butane (blue cylinder).

Nope, it isn't a scale 🤷‍♂️..........................if you watch the vid you will  see exactly how it works  !

Edited by Silversurf

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

I love a gadget and interested in this. Looks to be similar to the Truma  gas level check and app........but considerably less money.

I can see on the video that they place the 4 x metal ‘feet’ under their gas bottle, I wonder how this would work with a caravan/Motorhome where the bottles stand in a plastic retainer.

Really interested to see if anyone has one of these and how they find it.

Useful if travelling with just 1 gas bottle as after a while you could determine whether you had enough gas in the container to last for the duration of your stay, or if you may need to take a 2nd bottle with you.

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

4 hours ago, Damien84 said:

What sort of refillable bottle are we talking about?

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

50 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

So it's simply a weight scale.

I’d say it is definitely not a scale... It sits entirely within the void under the cylinder- for US cylinders, feet are supplied to ensure the the cylinder sits firmly on the floor of the locker/A Frame base rather than on the sender unit.

They can also be attached to the underside of fixed motor home gas tanks - clearly no weight bearing onto the device there.   

• I agree completely 1
30 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

I’d say it is definitely not a scale... It sits entirely within the void under the cylinder- for US cylinders, feet are supplied to ensure the the cylinder sits firmly on the floor of the locker/A Frame base rather than on the sender unit.

They can also be attached to the underside of fixed motor home gas tanks - clearly no weight bearing onto the device there.   

I wonder if there will be a fitting kit for composite tanks and if the composite material affects the ultrasonic sound waves ?

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

41 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

I wonder if there will be a fitting kit for composite tanks and if the composite material affects the ultrasonic sound waves ?

Not sure but I did see a suggestion that double-side tape should be used in some situations - may just have been a belt & braces approach for set-ups where the device could fall to the ground.

Whilst I wouldn’t buy one for my 6-7 Kgs of gas per year (a normal multi trip year rather than a Covid-19 year) it is a ‘boy’s toy that bears a little research so I may have another look.  There are lots of U Bend videos and information sources on t'interweb.

I’ve got one of these.

Fastened securely to underside of interior shelf (top of locker) it can be hooked through the bottle handle hole and weighed in situ.  Works for me.

Edited by ericfield
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Damien84 said:

https://tinleytech.co.uk/shop/lpg-parts/electrical/level-senders-displays-and-switches/bluetooth-level-sender-for-gas-bottles/

or can anyone recommend anything else?

thanks

Damien

Just feel the weight 

5 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I am sure that will do the job, but at the best part of forty quid it should do. 

I rely on the old fashioned “pick it up and shake it” method.

Agree totally 

I keep a cheap luggage scale & weigh bottle when full. That way when you weigh it at a later date you know how much gas has been used how much there is left.  The bottle tare weight can vary slightly between otherwise identical bottles but the weight of the gas when full is accurate in my experience ie always 6kg when full.

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 1

Slight digression, I now have a pair of 3.9kg propane's side by side with manual changeover, one is always full at the ready, only use gas for cooking not heating.

I used to have a 6kg with a 3.9kg as a spare.

For anyone interested, having checked their empty weights with a digital scale a couple of times in the past I have found them to be 8.9kg and 6.3kg respectively.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

This is another plus for Safefill - just waggle the bottle in situ and see the level.

• Like 1

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

31 minutes ago, Jiffy176 said:

Simple luggage scale for me.

And me.

Had one of the ultrasound thingies in a 2001 motorhome, fitted from new with a digital panel inside the van.

Useless thing never worked