B&B 50mm hitch (1960s/70s) help!

Hello, 

I need some help, I have recently braught an old Bailey of Bristol Maestro and having some trouble with the hitch. 

The hitch is a b&b sigma 60s/70s modle but it looks like the catch handle have been removed or broken off. If I was to replace this what would be the best replacement and where can I find this otherwise is there any other way around this issue? 

There's a number on the frame next to the hitch, might be a ref number.

B&B trailers Ltd 

I would add pictures but not sure how...

Any help appreciated 

Thank you

You may find THIS useful.   Also you could find a more modern type - either AL-KO or Winterhoff and change it.   Caravan breakers must have lots of them in stock.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Is your issue related just to the "coupling" or the whole overrun assembly?

Breakers yards are going to be the most cost effective sources IMO.

1 minute ago, JTQ said:

Is your issue related just to the "coupling" or the whole overrun assembly?

Breakers yards are going to be the most cost effective sources IMO.

So its the safety catch thats missing. 

I can add a pic now 

20201028_153839.jpg

12 minutes ago, DACS said:

Is this any good?

Unfortunately, they have now sold all their last B&B  parts.

20201028_154434.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

You seem to be missing several parts including the handle and the release lever.   Do you have parts 20 to 23 there?

external-content.duckduckgo_com.jpg.3d7094c56ccc25ecced027516630612e.jpg

Not thats whats what I noticed initially is missing. 

I was planning on just replacing the whole system but I have been told its not as simple as buying a more modern hitch qnd attaching it to a old caravan. 

What you'll need to do is get an accurate diagram of the position of your four mounting holes.   Easiest way would be to remove the hitch then mark through with a pencil.   Then compare it with more modern hitches.

If the hitch is from the 60's/70's it could well be imperial (2") which equated to 50.8mm rather than 50...

• Haha 1
  • I disagree 2

Larry from Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera 2017 Kuga 2. 0 TDCi 150

18 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

If the hitch is from the 60's/70's it could well be imperial (2") which equated to 50.8mm rather than 50...

But not when you can see "50mm" moulded into his hitch.   ;)

• Haha 2

Thanks guys, I will have to try match a new hitch with the frame but this might be a bit more complicated than just replacing hitch as I might have to change the breaking. 

I am also getting a quote for a mechanic to have it all modernised.

I would see if you can fit a modern AL-KO hitch more for safety reasons than anything else. The B&B hitch requires a slightly larger tow ball than the AL-KO and while you will normally get away with an AL-KO ball they can part company in rare instances. I have dealt with an insurance claim where this happened with an old boat trailer. If you cannot get an AL-KO hitch to fit the chassis, you will need to also find the correct tow ball as well as the B&B hitch.

• I disagree 2
1 minute ago, Wildwood said:

I would see if you can fit a modern AL-KO hitch more for safety reasons than anything else. The B&B hitch requires a slightly larger tow ball than the AL-KO and while you will normally get away with an AL-KO ball they can part company in rare instances. I have dealt with an insurance claim where this happened with an old boat trailer. If you cannot get an AL-KO hitch to fit the chassis, you will need to also find the correct tow ball as well as the B&B hitch.

Not sure how you work that out! 50mm is 50mm! Unless you are thinking of the old 2inch hitches and this one is clearly marked 50mm. The old B&B hitches were made in both sizes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There is a UK classic caravan group on Facebook (run by someone called Chris, cannot remember his surname), they are quite an active and friendly bunch and would be a good group to join as they have contacts for used and New Old Stock caravan spares for older models.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

They also have a web site:

42321896_10213853625878278_2253966328333336576_o.jpg

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

23 hours ago, Stevan said:

Not sure how you work that out! 50mm is 50mm! Unless you are thinking of the old 2inch hitches and this one is clearly marked 50mm. The old B&B hitches were made in both sizes.

Must admit I had not spotted that on the dark photo. Will try to do better.

• Haha 1