Buccaneer Bermuda 2021

Just purchased the new  Bermuda which we collect on the 18th nov. First new van in 45 years so a bit apprehensive. Any tips on collection day please will be appreciated 

thanks

mike

• Like 1

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

Congrats on the new purchase.  Cant offer any advice, but will be watching closely as we have ordered a Commodore to be delivered next year.

• Like 2

I think that other than checking for any damage or marks inside and out, one of the best things would be to ask to be shown where everything is and exactly how everything works, don't be rushed and don't be afraid to ask to be shown again if you don't quite understand.

With modern technology, sometimes complex,  now in vans from everything from fridge to heating  it may be a good idea to video on your phone  the instructions as you are being shown them., brain fog from tech overload soon happens.

As you will know, with owning vans previously, 99% of things to do with vans new to you are simple and just a re-hash of what you have used before, but the tech advances are totally different.

There is nothing worse, as seen many times on CT with brand new and second vans, folk on a site and X has stopped working, with thoughts of disaster looming , when all that was needed was to push button  one, then button three and as you do this you remember being told this on the day. 🤣😉

Congratulations and I hope you can get out in it sooner than later in the present conditions.

• Like 1

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Thanks , good tip about the phone. Total agree with your comments and some items on the van I have not had before. As for the Maiden voyage we are booked to go to Seahouses  After collection, but due to the possibility on going into tier 3 this weekend it will not happen.

thanks for your input

Mike

Edited by outnumbered

volvo xc70 D5 se

Not sure how much reading you have done already but there is  a lot of new stuff on the Buc-so make sure you know how the levelling works-nose down to start-etc by maybe reading first so when they show you it makes more sense? film it too. Putting the wheel locks on is simply a case of chock offside wheels raise the side on ep hand brake off rotate wheels and fit, drop and level. Our dealer had it up and running to show us how to fill on board tank, and use it or outboard etc. Most imp check all round for faults in and out-we found the grand total of none! Love it-ask away if you get stuck as we've probablybeen there! Check out Aldes heating instructions on here too. Really useful. Enjoy.

we 

• Like 1

Also don't look for the flush tank for the loo-there isn't one-it comes from the water supply . One less job!

But most of all enjoy-we are out in ours now with feet warmed by the underfloor heating cosy and enjoying the sunrise.

Edited by Jezzerb
  • Like 1

Check the roof if possible, we found a badly sealed front sun roof the first time I went up to clean the roof on our new caravan.

• Like 1

Enjoy the new caravan, we are on our 2nd Buccaneer and 3rd Elddis caravan. My parents (in their late 80s) bought an Elddis last year as did my brother so you can see we like them. ALL makes can have issues so do not lose any sleep thinking Buccaneer vans are any worse than others, they are not per se. I am extremely particular and have carried out several small mods so have looked closely in every nook and cranny of our 2018 Cruiser and imho it is very well constructed. Yes we have had the front window hinge and the cracking Heki issues but all put right with no dramas. I still think the Buccaneer caravans look great too, even against some of the recent joiners (or very recent in fact) to the 8’ caravan party.

• Like 2

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

Totally agree Volvovanner; and are great vfm when you look at the kit-I know Coachman have started supplying ep levelling but there's still no underfloor heating and it's really amazing-we're cozier in our van now than at home . We totally love ours and as you say standard of build, in my opinion is outstanding. I too am fussy and I just love the quality of application of sealant -perfection, and the cupboard and door hinges/closers and dovetailing. Very impressive. In our first year we've encountered 2 issues-a slightly moved window rubber and the alarm awning relay stuck on on-both sorted on the first service by Robinsons. I contacted Autowatch alarms to see if it was my faultand they actually rang with detailed instructions of how to check it! Superb service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check the outside panels and windows for any scratches or dents because as soon as you leave the premises the dealer will have nothing to do with them. Same for the interior. I would never collect a new van in the rain as it can mask any defects.

You can download the handbook from the Elddis website prior to collecting so you are aware of how things work.

Enjoy your new van.

Ian

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Thanks for the assistance and advice, not sure why I am apprehensive as I have purchased a few second hand . I think it’s the amount of money that is being spent, looking forward to it . I think the newer models have the underfloor heating 

thanks for your time 

Mime

• Like 1

volvo xc70 D5 se

Yes you'll have underfloor heating. Enjoy!!!!

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1
5 minutes ago, ian16527 said:

Keep an eye out for floor delamination. Very common on Bucs with the Alde underfloor heating elements.

Thank you 

• I do not understand 1

volvo xc70 D5 se

42 minutes ago, ian16527 said:

Keep an eye out for floor delamination. Very common on Bucs with the Alde underfloor heating elements.

Err new caravan so not an issue you'll need to worry about for a good few years-likewise the floor has a plastic underside so completely waterproof unlike the ply of Baileys for eg. As it's a new caravan follow the same procedure as if you were buying a new car-check cosmetically it's to your liking-not marks or scratches dents or dings from transit , pdi has been done well and listen carefully to the handover-which i then proceeded to forget-hence the video of it is a good idea!

Edited by Jezzerb
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

Err new caravan so not an issue you'll need to worry about for a good few years-likewise the floor has a plastic underside so completely waterproof unlike the ply of Baileys for eg. As it's a new caravan follow the same procedure as if you were buying a new car-check cosmetically it's to your liking-not marks or scratches dents or dings from transit , pdi has been done well and listen carefully to the handover-which i then proceeded to forget-hence the video of it is a good idea!

Unfortunately, age is not a factor here, as the Alde underfloor heating panels can and did cause some bonding issues with the floor in some Buccaneer's, which surfaced very quickly. They may have overcome this now, but certainly was an issue a couple of years ago. 

We've got a 2020 Commodore. We love it! Tows like a dream at 60+ (did I say that?)

Two massive plus points for us, underfloor heating and the E&P levelling. We dont chock the offside for inserting the wheel locks as once the N/S ram is down, it stops the van moving. Earlier comments re Coachman - ykes more expensive and no underfloor heating and no solar panel. No brainer really. You will be tightening screws so get some of the colour coded sticky 'dots'. We moved stuff around in lockers and added a 12 socket in the NSF locker for the air awning pump. The only negative is the front locker. Only opens to the horizontal and comes with catches which attack your back. But thats it.  I'll put my mind to the other plus points and get back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are a new  to caravan s , make sure you know how to hitch it up and unhitch it properly , if you cock it up and drop the front of the caravan etc it’s on you so get that sorted first and foremost , don’t rush that bit and never assume , sorry if it sounds patronising . This last 3 months I have helped at sites many more new caravaners than usual hitching and in hitching  , I am no expert and it’s easy but also easy to make a mistake - use a checklist - remember pilots of aircraft use checklist so no shame in it I still do and it’s prob saved me money doing this , 

good luck 🤞 

Oh just remembered - buy a cat litter tray from Asda or Wilko. £2 - Fits the sink a treat. See my earlier post.! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We really fancy the new Bermuda, OH is certainly in love with the lounge end. The one thing stopping us is we do not have a Buc dealer near us. The nearest is a good 2 hours away. Not that we have had problems with our last two new vans, but the law of sod says....

Keep us posted Outnumbered how you get on with your new Buc. We keep looking at the various posts with interest.

Methinks once madam see's one on site and chats to the owners that dealer 2 hours away may well be having a visit....

• Haha 1

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

I am with Yorkguy-the list of positives on a new Buc on top of the EP top quality oven,  I did a list once but there is so much you don't get on many vans these days;

Water source adaptor inc for all inc sites, outside shower with the shower head etc for the dog, gas point with quick release adaptor tie wrapped to it-doh i bought one, waste water container free,  top yuasa battery, free onboard water tank-sooo good, good quality alarm, tracker-although not the best if you cannot store near you, great stereo and aerial dovetail jointed drawers, no separate tank for the loo to fill-comes from the mains hoory, light on the a fram so you  can see into front locker, ext power socket in the front locker.  Oh and the little table tops that pull out either side of the bed on our Cruiser- oh so lovely for the morning cuppa. As you say york guy the only things we think could be improved, are the front locker doesn't open up high enough really and you could maybe argue the internal lighting switching could be more separated. Other than that-oh-nothing! LOVE IT!

• Thanks 1

Oh forgot to add-load limiter on the Alde panel-v handy, and a step-never had a step with a caravan before! The std kit on this caravan is nothing short of amazing. 

Free Wastemaster too! oh and Hypnos upgrade for £100? We got our original mattress thrown in too!! Happy days!! :rolleyes:

Our E&P was ever so slightly 'out' - bit nose up.  Recalibration is a breeze.

Mrs YG is really critical and says its day  to day practicalities are first rate. The two -way bathroom door has been copied by Coachman. Never liked their 850 door which hit you in the back as you cooked! Could go on but wont! Ace van - really good vfm.

Edited by yorkyguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1