Hi All, i think ive decided to go for a calor gas heater for the awning, as we have 2 big dogs and in the winter need to keep them warm while they dry off and are allowed back in the van.

my question is....do any of you run the gas heater off the external BBQ point....?

would be so much easier than having another weighty bottle to bring with us....

thanks

Tim

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER. ...But I don't. ...😩😩😩

My friend uses one of these in his big seasonal awning, and it's brilliant. Rarely needs to go above setting 1, and it's still too hot sometimes.

I had thought about going seasonal and was going to get one and feed from my external BBQ point, but we decided against seasonal in the end.

I don't see any reason why it can't be done.

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

Im not familiar with the type of heater you are proposing but, is it safe to have a gas heater in the enclosed space? How about humidity? If there is enough ventilation to counter these two issues then surely the heat will be lost?

Ern

When I hear ‘Calor gas heater’ I think of the SuperSer that we had 30 years ago … like this …

96827F15-41CD-45EE-ABC6-EDB2AF75F229.thumb.jpeg.c016794f7bacf2ce4be7d97c3eb1f825.jpeg

… is that the sort of heater you mean, Timanita?

The problem is that the gas bottle itself provides the stability - without it they a very light and could easily be tipped over … I suppose a few bricks in the base would do the job … but then you’d have to lug them about 🙂.

John

John

Generate an awful lot of moisture as I remember.

If you're on a EHU, wouldn't a nice electric oil heater fit the bill. No risk if it gets knocked over, and won't set fire to anything that gets too close.

Lunar Solaris 524

Heating awnings is not a popular practice  with site owners who pay the "leccy" bill....

• I agree completely 2

Looking at lots of other forums loads of people swear by them, give off loads of heat, the enclosed space does cone up but is usually answerd with " people have them in rooms in the house"....? Which i suppose is true, good idea with the bricks, id just find rocks local to the pitch and put tyem back afterwards.

the main reason for thepost was to see if i can run it off the Bbq point of the van....

cheers

tim

3 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

When I hear ‘Calor gas heater’ I think of the SuperSer that we had 30 years ago … like this …

96827F15-41CD-45EE-ABC6-EDB2AF75F229.thumb.jpeg.c016794f7bacf2ce4be7d97c3eb1f825.jpeg

… is that the sort of heater you mean, Timanita?

The problem is that the gas bottle itself provides the stability - without it they a very light and could easily be tipped over … I suppose a few bricks in the base would do the job … but then you’d have to lug them about 🙂.

John

John

Just the thing John....👍👍

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER. ...But I don't. ...😩😩😩

Would not a more compact, small, 'industrial style' propane gas heater do the job better than the "portable heaters" from Calor intended to have a cylinder (butane 15kg usually) inside? and be easier to store and transport?

e.g. https://gasproducts.co.uk/gas-heating/gas-space-heaters/3-5kw-propane-gas-site-space-heater.html other similar and some better looking products are available.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

As others have said one of the major issues would indeed be the amount of moisture they produce in addition to what comes off your wet dogs! 

As far as running it off BBQ point I cannot see any issue at all. The “Super Ser” type heater has a gas cylinder in the back, and sat in the top of the cylinder is? A gas regulator!

I wolves don’t have heated awnings to dry off in, so why do you thing you need to provide heat for your dogs?? Have you asked a vet if they consider it necessary for them??

• I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

He wants to dry them before they go inside the caravan. I love dogs and caravans but a caravan smelling of damp dog isn’t so nice!:D

• I agree completely 2

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

16 hours ago, Fenester said:

Heating awnings is not a popular practice  with site owners who pay the "leccy" bill....

OP is specifically asking about a gas cylinder heater though. What does that have to do with electricity?

Edited by Hort2074
  • I disagree 1

24 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

OP is specifically asking about a gas cylinder heater though. What does that have to do with electricity?

It was in response to this post...

19 hours ago, littlebasher said:

Generate an awful lot of moisture as I remember.

If you're on a EHU, wouldn't a nice electric oil heater fit the bill. No risk if it gets knocked over, and won't set fire to anything that gets too close.

3 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

It was in response to this post...

Fair enough

• Like 1

Via the money collected from campers..................🙄😉

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

Via the money collected from campers..................🙄😉

More electric use higher prices.....

8 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Makes a case for a metered, pay for what you use supply on every pitch.   👍

Or sensible and considerate use.

Back to gas heaters.... I remember as a student their use in  student houses; gas calor heaters pumping water out and the walls dripping in condensation....

2 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Makes a case for a metered, pay for what you use supply on every pitch.   👍

A year or so ago, out of curiosity, a neighbour carted around with him one of those elec monitors with the inductive clamp  on the incoming + ,to see exactly how much he used, family of four, two teenagers, uses the van all the year round for weekends and holidays.

Then he compared his usage with the  extra price per night for hookup and what he would have paid for similar consumption at home.

His conclusion, the site owner does very well, thank you very much, even when taking into account the initial infrastructure costs and safety checks.

Meters are OK , but I think there is a cap on how much you can charge for  re-selling elec this way, but no cap on the cost of the hookup charge. 

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Been of a few sites lately which stipulate no awning heaters....

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

23 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

A year or so ago, out of curiosity, a neighbour carted around with him one of those elec monitors with the inductive clamp  on the incoming + ,to see exactly how much he used, family of four, two teenagers, uses the van all the year round for weekends and holidays.

Then he compared his usage with the  extra price per night for hookup and what he would have paid for similar consumption at home.

His conclusion, the site owner does very well, thank you very much, even when taking into account the initial infrastructure costs and safety checks.

Meters are OK , but I think there is a cap on how much you can charge for  re-selling elec this way, but no cap on the cost of the hookup charge. 

You would probably need to do that test over a number of pitches / users to be conclusive about costs but whatever that outcome, you wouldn’t expect site owners to supply electricity at a loss .  

When you add in those that heat an awning 24/7 in the depths of winter etc why should the frugal energy user subsidise it.  I am all for paying for precisely what I use by way of metering.  

We have friends who own a very popular Peak District site and apply pitch inclusive electricity for caravans but for tents, a prepayment card is required*.   One of the reasons for the metered supply for tents is people heating their tents all day long so they are warm after a day on the Peaks etc.

*any unused credit on the card is refunded on returning it on departure.. 

Edited by ReggiePerrin
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, Fenester said:

Or sensible and considerate use.

Back to gas heaters.... I remember as a student their use in  student houses; gas calor heaters pumping water out and the walls dripping in condensation....

Yes water production from gas heaters is a problem in confined spaces, especially with the catalytic process's.

There were wall hung flue-less gas fires, they may still be about, where the flames heated a radiant behind a glass window providing radiant and convected heat, on top of the heater there were catalytic panels where the gasses  had to pass through removing CO etc, there was also an oxygen depletion sensor.

The catalytic process's produce two things, one of them heat which was their selling point of you get 100%  of your money for your gas used, nothing lost up the flue, the other product is copious amounts of hot water vapour that soon settles out on cooler surfaces, and made the rooms feel stuffy, which wasn't as prominent in the bumph.

If someone came out with the same system with a water recovery process it could have a market.

I'll not go into the room ventilation side of things here though.

I must say I have not seen an issue in practice.

My friend has a large Isabella seasonal awning, and has his big gas heater on all the time. We were in there between Christmas and New Year with the heater pumping out gorgeous warmth.

I didn't notice any additional moisture, and there certainly wasn't even any condensation on the plastic awning windows.

With it being a well sealed awning, that surprises me.

What's wrong with putting any dogs into a wooden (or otherwise insulated) kennel in an unheated awning?

Farmers do that all the time with their dogs and without any health issues for the dogs.

I know some who do exactly that and then close the door to the wooden kennel which has some ventilation holes, and they tell me the kennel very quickly warms up and the dog dries if wet.

Edited by daveat92
  • I agree completely 1
3 hours ago, Hort2074 said:

I must say I have not seen an issue in practice.

My friend has a large Isabella seasonal awning, and has his big gas heater on all the time. We were in there between Christmas and New Year with the heater pumping out gorgeous warmth.

I didn't notice any additional moisture, and there certainly wasn't even any condensation on the plastic awning windows.

With it being a well sealed awning, that surprises me.

Many years ago when we first got married (1977 :o ) we had one of those Super Ser cabinet heaters. It produced a lot of heat but it also produced vast amounts to of water vapour, so you had to open a window to disperse it, which rather negated the purpose of the heater 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

I would be very wary of a gas heater in an awning, even on sites where they are allowed. It is virtually impossible to warm them thoroughly and economically, but if you need a heater, an electric one seems far safer.