Coachman - Annual service affected by COVID -19

I see from a previous post that Coachman will not penalise anyone for having a late service, up to 90 days from the due date.  I have been trying to get clarification for the last 5 months from Coachman as to whether the annual service requirement will stay at the later COVID date, without invalidating the warranty, or revert to the original caravan's 'in service' date'.

Up until now I have been totally ignored, the courtesy of some sort of response would be nice.

It does not seem to make any sense to have the service late this year and then far too early next so I would ring them and if they accept that idea send them an e mail confirming the content of the conversation. The one point that might be a problem is that the guarantee will be three years for most things and I think six for water ingress. You do need to be able to say if there is a problem before these dates pass which means some sort of check.

Send a letter, recorded delivery saying that because of Covid, you are unable to get the service done and are therefore extending the timescale by XXX.

That puts the onus on them to say if it's not acceptable, otherwise they will have accepted it.

Make sure you keep a copy of the delivery signature.

• I disagree 1

99% sure i have read the next date will revert back to the anniversary of the date of registration

If you have it serviced 3 months late due to covid the next due date will be in 9 months time

• Like 1

Why not just use a Coachman accredited mobile service engineer and save a few pounds at the same time?

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

If it helps, Swift have stated that their allowance for up to a 6 month delay as a direct result of the covid-19 restrictions is only applicable to this year's service date. It reverts to the normal anniversary date for next year. I would imagine all manufacturers are likely to apply the same policy.

3 hours ago, daveat92 said:

Send a letter, recorded delivery saying that because of Covid, you are unable to get the service done and are therefore extending the timescale by XXX.

That puts the onus on them to say if it's not acceptable, otherwise they will have accepted it.

Make sure you keep a copy of the delivery signature.

Changing significant terms of a contract requires the specific agreement of the party that issued it, i.e. Coachman.

Edited by Legal Eagle
  • Like 1

Hi All

Can also confirm Elddis are the same about Covid-19 just as long as you get a stamp in the book they will honour service warranty,We are all in the same boat!

I’m in the same situation, Coachman are not responding to any requests, I’ve also asked for a list of approved mobile service engineers for my area. As yet no response, the suggestion of sending a letter (recorded & signed for) seems to be a good one. However, if it came to legally trying to get Coachman to honour the warranty the legal cost might become an issue.

I’ve always had my caravans service by the dealer I purchased them from, but the convenience and cost savings involved in using a mobile engineer are attractive, my only concern is that the service stamp may not be accepted by Coachman.

Does anyone have links to a listing of Coachman approved mobile service engineers?

We have (as you can see )  Coachman, we get it serviced by a NCC aproved mobile engineer. It takes him a morning to do it -so why do i have to drive (round trip) 104 miles &leave it with the dealer(who does the service behind closed doors) for a week?

Back to question ,seem to remember wondering the same thing at the time was told if the engineer was NCC aproved it was o.k. but that was in 2013&things have moved on......

Dave

p.s.--Two things , 1)will he still be around (next year)

2)With the upserge in caravan use  will he be rushed off his feet....

Edited by david 1220

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

16 minutes ago, TerenceB said:

I’m in the same situation, Coachman are not responding to any requests, I’ve also asked for a list of approved mobile service engineers for my area. As yet no response, the suggestion of sending a letter (recorded & signed for) seems to be a good one. However, if it came to legally trying to get Coachman to honour the warranty the legal cost might become an issue.

Why would any dealer or manufacturer, under the current circumstances,  want to tie their own hands by agreeing , in writing , to more than they absolutely have to?

7 minutes ago, david 1220 said:

We have (as you can see )  Coachman, we get it serviced by a NCC aproved mobile engineer. It takes him a morning to do it -so why do i have to drive (round trip) 104 miles &leave it with them for a week?

Simple! Workshop space costs money, to keep it profitable requires that it be in constant use. He wants to be sure that the next couple of vans are ready to start work on as soon as the current one is finished, even if one is a "no show". He also wants to ensure that vans are also completed on time even if the work takes longer than expected, such as a van in for a service requiring new brake shoes to be ordered.

Just a case of managing workflow through the workshop. They just want to give themselves a bit of leeway but many will agree to give you a ring as soon as it is finished if it is a day or so early.

The Coachman website has some of the information you need - copied below 

I AM HAVING TROUBLE BOOKING MY CARAVAN FOR ITS SERVICE, IN LINE WITH THE WARRANTY REQUIREMENTS.

Please refer to the servicing section in your Owners Handbook or Service Warranty and Technical Data Manual for full warranty details.

CAN I TAKE MY COACHMAN CARAVAN FOR AN ANNUAL SERVICE TO ANOTHER DEALER OR SERVICE CENTRE?

Customers can take their Coachman caravan to any Coachman dealer or NCC Approved Service Centre providing that the dealer or service centre agrees to do this work.

DOES MY CARAVAN NEED TO BE SERVICED EVERY YEAR?

In order to protect your investment and to comply with the warranty conditions, you must have your caravan serviced annually by a Coachman dealer or NCC Approved Service Centre. We strongly recommend that you continue to have your caravan professionally serviced, even after the warranty has expired.

So in common with other manufacturers, you can use an engineer approved by the NCC scheme

This is a link to their search page . . . . 

https://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/find-approved-workshop

Many thanks for all of your suggestions and it is comforting to see that I am not alone in this 'boat'!

I have the caravan serviced by an NCC approved mobile engineer who does an excellent job.  I think that the sensible thing to do will be to have the service on the original pre COVID date thus eliminating any warranty issues with Coachman.

Am I being cynical or is it a ploy by Coachman to invalidate warranties by stealth!

I have decided and arranged for my caravan to be serviced by a NCC approved mobile engineer. After reading the various responses in this thread it seems the most sensible and cost effective option.

When I purchased my caravan last year the dealer pointed out that I had 90 days from the purchase date to get my 1st annual service completed & the same terms for the 2nd bi-annual service, however, the 3rd years service must be completed before the purchase date has been exceeded.

So by using the NCC mobile engineer I will be compliant with the Coachman warranty terms, one thing the cynic within  me thinks is that by having a very different set of terms for the 3rd years service will catch a few people out.

On 01/11/2020 at 14:53, DerbyClubman said:

to any Coachman dealer or NCC Approved Service Centre

My underscore.   

Ok, I'm being pedantic, but is an NCC Approved Mobile Engineer equally acceptable?  They aren't mentioned anywhere by Coachman.

I'm not qualified to answer that - however although Coachman say 'Centre' the NCC website I linked to calls them 'Workshops' and also describes them as fixed or mobile workshops to give the impression that they have equal status. I suggest you pursue your enquires direct with Coachman or the National Caravan Council as the NCC do not use the term 'Service Centre'. 

Of course if you discover that NCC Approved Workshops can't do the work, there will be over 500 businesses closing down and thousands of caravan owners without a warranty :o 

Before anyone gets concerned, this is an attempt at a humorous comment :lol: :lol:  :lol:

2 hours ago, CJ1149 said:

Ok, I'm being pedantic, but is an NCC Approved Mobile Engineer equally acceptable?

Yes they are equally acceptable. As a NCC mobile engineer I can assure you that there is no problem using a mobile engineer for servicing, and retaining your warranty.

• I agree completely 1

Brecon, thanks for the answer.

If, as macafee2 states above, the Coachman CEO / MD is linked into this web site and presumably therefore in a position to respond to this issue, it would be very nice to hear the 'official' position on this subject from him.

If I was in his position I wouldn't want this type of 'discussion' going on for this length of time amongst my current, and potentially future, customers.  Very poor customer service.

Reading macafee2's post again it should be LinkedIn, not linked in so the CEO / MD probably doesn't read any of our comments. More's the pity, he might learn something. 

• I agree completely 1
11 minutes ago, Pilgrim21 said:

If, as macafee2 states above, the Coachman CEO / MD is linked into this web site and presumably therefore in a position to respond to this issue, it would be very nice to hear the 'official' position on this subject from him.

If I was in his position I wouldn't want this type of 'discussion' going on for this length of time amongst my current, and potentially future, customers.  Very poor customer service.

Reading macafee2's post again it should be LinkedIn, not linked in so the CEO / MD probably doesn't read any of our comments. More's the pity, he might learn something. 

My post was to suggest that the OP contacts him perhaps via LinkedIn ( sorry spell checker may have thrown it out in my op).  Here is a web site that has a lot CEO contact details https://www.ceoemail.com/

If any are wrong and you email the web team, they will change them or even provide correct details if they have them.  

macafee2