Battery

Scott, depends what your wanting to run from the battery. We have a powrtouch mover fitted and have a 110ah battery which seems more than adequate for the needs.

Many people have th 85ah battery and have no probs with these.

110 ah batteries are about the £60 mark

Guest john1215

A lot depends on the accessories you have - for instance if you have a motor mover you will need at least 110amp/hr battery, you can pick these up for 45-55 pounds maybe less - maybe more. If you are going to caravan a lot on CLs with no electric hookup then you might also need a higher power but I think 85amp/hr is sufficient for normal use.

john1215

Hi Scott,

If you using sites with mains hookups,an 85amp/h is quite adequate. These were available last year for £30 with the 110amp/h at about £45. As we are still out of the recognised season,you may be able to pick one up at a good price. :)

Frank

I dont know where you live td4 but Collins Caravans near Reading in Berkshire do batteries with a 2 year waranty.

I would also advise you to buy a small solar pannel to trickle charge the battery whilst you are not using the van. You will need to put a 12volt cigarette lighter cable straight to the battery though This way the life of it is extended. My battery has lasted me 5 years now and still going strong. I can go away on a CL for a week and it just lasts. You do have to be careful on the lights you use etc.

The solar pannel you can pick up from places such as web sites like www. boysstuff. co. uk I havent looked for them for a while but they are around for about £10-£15. Highly recomended.

Another thing to note, is how big is your Battery Box.

I looked at purchasing a 110 AH battery however in the instruction book for the van said the box would only be able to house an 85 AH battery.

Desperado

Hi Scott,

If you using sites with mains hookups,an 85amp/h is quite adequate. These were available last year for £30 with the 110amp/h at about £45. As we are still out of the recognised season,you may be able to pick one up at a good price. :)

Frank

8058[/snapback]

Hi all

If you go to a battery supplier for the motor trade caravan batteries are cheaper and you can also get a battery maintainance charger, Ii use MANBAT Manchester batteries they have a depot in North Wales

Battery maintainance charge £22, also at Halfords about £24

• 2 weeks later...

As we only use sites with mains hook up, we have done away with the battery altogether and replaced it with a battery charger wired into the curcuit via fuses etc. We have a very simple but comfortable van (no heating other than fan heater, no hot water other than electric kettle and large thermos flask, or other built in gizmos - apart from Sky TV etc)

The 12V supply runs the lights and water taps fine as these are the only 12V systems we have.

Saves us a lot of fuss and expense of batteries etc.

When buying a battery make sure you get a 2 year warrenty

I have 85 amp and motor mover and have had no problems

I don't know if this applies to caravan batteries

Many years ago I was told not to fit a larger battery to a car than necessary because if it was being used only part charged it would be less efficient than a fully charged batttery of lower cappacity

The difference between car batteries and leisure batteries is the car battery is designed for heavy short duration discharge, ie starting the car, therefore its the cranking power that is important, not physical size.

Leisure batteries are designed for slow, prolonged discharge, therefore the larger amp/hours capacity is relevant in this application.

As far as movers go, whilst a car battery may give slightly more speed, it will be for a much shorter duration so a eisure battery is recommended to ensure you have enough power, although maybe at a slightly slower speed to allow you to manoeuvre your van for longer without draining the battery fully. Another point is that the 12v lighting and other 12v applications in a van discharge at a much slower rate than a cars starter motor.

A tip from another forum member, take the tray from the battery compartment with you and make sure you measure the height of the battery compartment. Batteries vary in size so you'll need to get one you know will fit!

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

Cheers for the help on this,

I think in my present van the battery just goes under the front seats and has a strap over it, it would seem that virtually any size would actually do?

I have yet to buy one as not used van but will do very soon, as I now have a tow car and a tow bar !!! . .....and I want to get away and relax for a bit !!

Thanks

Scott

Our new Abbey Freestle 407 has a battery locker and the tray does not come out BUT it takes 110 amp. hour - just, a very snug fit.