Help with gas connector types please

Hi, I need some help connecting the gas. I have never used gas on my caravan before and I don't know which connector types to look for. I took pictures of both, the bottle and the caravan's connector, I hope someone can tell me what is the missing link that I need.

https://imgur.com/a/3CRb3Uj

I don't know if it's relevant, but the gas bottle is EU standard (if there's such thing). I think they're all universal, but well you can see it on the pictures. It would be great help if someone knows the exact connector names or could give me amazon or ebay link to the adaptor that I need. thanks.

The gas bottle looks German & the regulator you have is for a UK Calor propane bottle. You need a regulator to fit the German bottle which is probably not obtainable in UK.

Once the German bottle is empty you cannot exchange it for full in UK so best bet is to get a 6kg Calor propane bottle to use with the regulator you have already.

As said, it’s not a UK bottle, although it looks similar to a butane connection. 
your regulator is definitely a UK propane type. 
If your gas system has not been used for a while, you really should get the system checked by approved engineer first

Edited by Lost in the wilderness
Added safety note

The gas bottle has a Left hand 20mm gas thread, the type also used here for several smaller size Butane bottles.

I suspect the bottle is what I also know as a European bottle, it having about a 300mm diameter. If butane of 13 kgs if filled with Propane 11 kgs ?

The regulator is for specifically Propane and features a POL connection, but is a 37 mbar regulator, to high for use with standard kit if used with Butane gas. So if the bottle is Butane no adaptor will make that bottle safely usable. I doubt there is a "sensible" adaptor option and there are other issues about going that route.

As I see it you have these options:

If the bottle contains Butane, you could simply buy a Butane threaded new regulator. You will be left with what you do when the bottle is empty, it can't be exchanged here ; legally it can't be refilled either but I know that happens.

Buy a new bottle of Propane that accepts that regulator. Here I would suggest if the van takes that 300 mm diameter bottle you get a bottle of Flogas 11 kg from a Flogas retailer, like builders merchants. They may charge you a rental fee on first acquisition. Propane is a more usable gas in cold temperatures and the 11 kgs bottle is a cost effective size. Builders merchants often give discounts for the asking; Flogas is a widely available product so exhange not that challenging; check out their website for retailers near you.

There is the question of age of the regulator, I can't make out any date marking; best practice is to change these at 10 years of age, though they can last longer. I definitely would replace the hose with again an "orange" reinforced pipe as you have, these have about a 5 year life and far best when changing the regulator to start afresh on this trivial cost item. Regulators and pipe are readily sourced at caravan dealers.

A final option is to buy a German type 30 mb gas regulator from Gaslow. This will come with a 20mm gas thread to directly fit that bottle, and that regulator can be fitted directly with adaptors for many alternative gas bottles, including the POL and the other common 21 mm clip-on used in 7 kg Calor butane bottles. IMO the best route of all, it allows using up that gas, gives flexibility to adopt any gas bottle of choice and will be a new regulator. Being a 30mb regulator it is "universal", suitable for use with either butane or propane gas and appliances.

I can sort you out what to buy,  but would need to know the gas bottle/brand you intend to use once that one is depleted.

Edited by JTQ

Following on from other posts above

Both calor Gas Blue Butane and Red propane bottles can be bought 2nd hand for as little as £5, you can then exchange them if empty for a full bottle. If you are lucky you can get them with gas 2nd hand for £10 at the car boot but empty from Ebay.

No point buying new and paying a large deposit that you will probably never get back as you must keep the receipt.

https://calorgashampshire.co.uk/collections/propane-gas-bottles/products/calor-3-9kg-propane-gas-bottle

https://calorgashampshire.co.uk/collections/butane-gas/products/calor-gas-4-5kg-butane-gas-bottle

Your hose will fit the bottle in the top link.

The Red and Blue bottle have different fittings

macafee2

1 hour ago, macafee2 said:

Following on from other posts above

Both calor Gas Blue Butane and Red propane bottles can be bought 2nd hand for as little as £5, you can then exchange them if empty for a full bottle. If you are lucky you can get them with gas 2nd hand for £10 at the car boot but empty from Ebay.

No point buying new and paying a large deposit that you will probably never get back as you must keep the receipt.

Not legally they can't! Although they are often illegally traded.

Calor bottles remain the property of Calor. If ever you accept one in trade you are technically "accepting stolen property", although I doubt that anyone is ever prosecuted for it.

• Haha 2
41 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Not legally they can't! Although they are often illegally traded.

Calor bottles remain the property of Calor. If ever you accept one in trade you are technically "accepting stolen property", although I doubt that anyone is ever prosecuted for it.

I did not know that.  People can now decide if they want to buy one legally or not. If i buy one that is not from a theft and I think we know what I mean then I dont have a problem. I just give the empty bottles away or drop them off at a calor dealer.  Would be interested if you can provide a link to a case where this has happened. I'd also like to see the contract with the retailer that supplies one to someone that is not exchanging

https://www.calor.co.uk/news-and-views/illegal-handling-scrapping-of-calor-gas-cylinders

I am not sure this is aimed at someone selling a bottle at the car boot sale but those that do it as a business however the wording does not make a distinction.

If calor are so bothered by it have they approached Ebay

macafee2

Edited by macafee2

You may be German but you have put your location as World. It helps the forum if you put your actual location, but not your postcode! 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

10 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

I did not know that.  People can now decide if they want to buy one legally or not. If i buy one that is not from a theft and I think we know what I mean then I dont have a problem. I just give the empty bottles away or drop them off at a calor dealer.  Would be interested if you can provide a link to a case where this has happened. I'd also like to see the contract with the retailer that supplies one to someone that is not exchanging

macafee2

Calor never sell their cylinders. When you first obtain one the standard contract you sign states that you are only hiring the cylinder and sets out the details whereby if you return it within a set timescale they will refund part of the hire charge. I understand that if anyone returns a bottle to a Calor depo (not just a calor dealer) they pay a reward, but this is strictly a reward for returning it, not buying it back.

2 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Calor never sell their cylinders. When you first obtain one the standard contract you sign states that you are only hiring the cylinder and sets out the details whereby if you return it within a set timescale they will refund part of the hire charge. I understand that if anyone returns a bottle to a Calor depo (not just a calor dealer) they pay a reward, but this is strictly a reward for returning it, not buying it back.

Really they pay a reward, I did not think they did, only if you had the "buying" receipt did you get any money back.

I also thought if you handed the cylinder back and you had the original receipt you got a full refund of the buying/rental price you paid. I have never needed to buy one outright so I'm just assuming so thanks for the info

macafee2

Calor will pay £7.50 for any Calor cylinder you return to one of their depots. That’s why you no longer see them abandoned at the roadside or deserted traveller camps 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

thanks for the replies everyone, but does anyone know a specific connector type?

12 hours ago, JTQ said:

The gas bottle has a Left hand 20mm gas thread, the type also used here for several smaller size Butane bottles.

I suspect the bottle is what I also know as a European bottle, it having about a 300mm diameter.

Yes the bottle is EU, I didn't think they are different, because my friend in US also has same regulator connector (so I thought it's unviersal), but he didn't recognize the bottle one either.

Do you know the exact adapter / connector I need to connect those 2 together? I could be searching for reverse 20mm gas connector, but what is the other one called?

my friend showed me this one, but neither of us knows what it's called. It looks like the one I need, does anyone know if it would fit and what is it called?

Steak-Saver-Gas-Grill-Adapter-1-Pound-Propane-Tank-Connector-Hiking-Camping-Stove-Furnace-Converter-LO.thumb.jpg.0be222a151d85c0a90db7d1a80f0e6a3.jpg

9 hours ago, WispMan said:

You may be German but you have put your location as World. It helps the forum if you put your actual location, but not your postcode! 

I put world, because I'm a nomad, I live which ever country is most convenient for me atm. This is also why i have UK camper, but EU bottle as I currently stay in EU.

There is no such thing as an EU bottle except perhaps The very expensive & small Campingaz bottle exchangeable in various different European countries. If you want to use that probably German gas bottle then you need the correct regulator. Other EU countries all have their own bottles some with screw in fittings others clip fittings which might be 20mm or 27mm .

The regulator you have is 37mb so it will only work with propane bottles. Butane bottles use a 28mb regulator. You can also fit a 30mb bulkhead regulator & connect the bottle using pigtail with correct adaptor. The 30mb bulkhead regulator will work with both propane & butane.

If you are travelling in the EU then you need to standardise on a particular gas bottle from a specific country. If you want to standardise on German bottles then you need to get a correct regulator for that bottle.

Worth pointing out also that regulators wear out & the one you have looks old. If you are living in a van then you need to have a good gas system & what you seem to be proposing is a lash up. 

The best way to easily swap between bottles from various countries is to fit a 30mb bulkhead regulator & fit a pigtail with 21.8mm left hand thread known as a butane nut. Then you can get various bottle fittings that connect to butane nut & some bottles can connect directly to the butane nut.

Does that German bottle actually have a butane nut thread. Does anybody know? Because if it does then you can  get a butane nut to pol adaptor off eBay to fit your regulator to bottle but it will only work if bottle is propane. See what I mean about a lash up?

Edited by Laurent
6 minutes ago, Laurent said:

The regulator you have is 37mb so it will only work with propane bottles. Butane bottles use a 28mb regulator. You can also fit a 30mb bulkhead regulator & connect the bottle using pigtail with correct adaptor.

Not for the OP that the single 30mb bulkhead mounted regulator is suitable for both propane and butane?

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Yes. Profuse apologies for me failing to proof read my post properly before posting. Post duly edited to point that out.

The op appears to have a camper van of uncertain age & clearly does not have a bulkhead regulator fitted but presumably one could be fitted?

What I am mostly trying to get across in that post is to point out to the op that he needs to have a rethink & do it differently which he can do by taking some of the advice that could be offered.

Edited by Laurent
8 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Calor will pay £7.50 for any Calor cylinder you return to one of their depots. That’s why you no longer see them abandoned at the roadside or deserted traveller camps 

When did they start that? I've been giving my empty ones away.

Do I need any proof of anything?

At £7.50 I can return mine with gas in and get more then I paid for some of them and if I return them empty, some of full cylinders I have used could end up costing me only a few quid.

thanks for the info

macafee2

I know you guys are trying to help, but please do not lecture me about regulations this and that. I'm asking a very simple question here, which adapter do I need to connect those 2 types together (ones seen on pictures I posted).

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm really not interested in converting my camper or spending insane amounts of money on new bottles, gas lines and what not. I'm only looking for the adapter to connect those 2 together, nothing more, nothing less. So it would be really great help if someone can actually point me to a ebay or amazon product that would do the job.

I would be looking on ebay or amazon myself, but I don't know how those connector types are called, that's why I came here asking for help, in hope that someone might recognize the connectors and know the names. From what you guys have said, it could be "pol 20mm"? I googled it and i only found the regulator photos and many different variants, so it's still very generic and doesn't really tell me what to search for, because i'm still missing the other side of connector type.

If i would know both connector names, it would be easy searching for "xxx to yyy gas adapter" and 99% chance I'd find one on ebay or amazon. There's nothing in this world that cannot be connected together, if there's a connector, there must be adapter for it.

If nobody knows, how would i be measuring the connector? When you say 20mm, does it mean on top of the thread or between the thread? I could probably easily measure it with sewing thread, wrap it around and make a dot with marker, then lay it flat on tape measure and should get exact measurement, but it would only work if i have to measure between the thread, if i'd have to measure on top of thread, i probably need piece of plastic or some thick tape and do similar thing or poke a hole thru it and then lay it flat on tape measure. Because i don't have any special tools to measure such connectors.

11 minutes ago, Morlord said:

I know you guys are trying to help, but please do not lecture me about regulations this and that. I'm asking a very simple question here, which adapter do I need to connect those 2 types together (ones seen on pictures I posted).

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm really not interested in converting my camper or spending insane amounts of money on new bottles, gas lines and what not. I'm only looking for the adapter to connect those 2 together, nothing more, nothing less. So it would be really great help if someone can actually point me to a ebay or amazon product that would do the job.

I would be looking on ebay or amazon myself, but I don't know how those connector types are called, that's why I came here asking for help, in hope that someone might recognize the connectors and know the names. From what you guys have said, it could be "pol 20mm"? I googled it and i only found the regulator photos and many different variants, so it's still very generic and doesn't really tell me what to search for, because i'm still missing the other side of connector type.

If i would know both connector names, it would be easy searching for "xxx to yyy gas adapter" and 99% chance I'd find one on ebay or amazon. There's nothing in this world that cannot be connected together, if there's a connector, there must be adapter for it.

If nobody knows, how would i be measuring the connector? When you say 20mm, does it mean on top of the thread or between the thread? I could probably easily measure it with sewing thread, wrap it around and make a dot with marker, then lay it flat on tape measure and should get exact measurement, but it would only work if i have to measure between the thread, if i'd have to measure on top of thread, i probably need piece of plastic or some thick tape and do similar thing or poke a hole thru it and then lay it flat on tape measure. Because i don't have any special tools to measure such connectors.

The short answer is that on the assumption that it is actually a German bottle, the only easy and reliable way to obtain a regulator is via a German retailer or the German equivalent of ebay.

It is possible that the bottle you have has a 21.8mm left hand thread known as a butane nut connector. The thread looks left hand & I think the outside diameter of thread should measure 21.8mm. Search eBay for “pol to butane nut adaptor”. That is a fitting that can screw onto your gas bottle provided that is a butane nut fitting. The regulator you have will then connect to gas bottle with that fitting. This will only work provided your gas bottle is filled with propane & not butane.

That is the best I can do from the info you have posted.

1 minute ago, Stevan said:

The short answer is that on the assumption that it is actually a German bottle, the only easy and reliable way to obtain a regulator is via a German retailer or the German equivalent of ebay.

yes i believe it's German bottle, but isn't it just standard EU one?

either way, can you please give me bit more specifics? Like what would I be searching for? If i was gonna order it from amazon.de, what is the connector type i'd be searching for?

and what is the other end (one on my camper, the regulator)?

In order to find the missing link, i would have to know both connector names, so i can do a xxx to yyy search, that's the biggest issue i'm having.

5 minutes ago, Laurent said:

It is possible that the bottle you have has a 21.8mm left hand thread known as a butane nut connector. The thread looks left hand & I think the outside diameter of thread should measure 21.8mm. Search eBay for “pol to butane nut adaptor”. That is a fitting that can screw onto your gas bottle provided that is a butane nut fitting. The regulator you have will then connect to gas bottle with that fitting. This will only work provided your gas bottle is filled with propane & not butane.

That is the best I can do from the info you have posted.

I thought all gas connectors are reverse threaded (left hand), but yes the bottle i have is propane. It says that on bottle. But out of curiousity, why doesn't butane work then? because of different pressure and the regulator would just not work?

I did look for "pol to butane nut adaptor" but didn't really find anything at all. (i looked on ebay and amazon)

I found lot of adapter sets, like this one https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B07JH9492K but from the looks of it, the one that is marked to fit UK, doesn't look like it would fit onto my regulator?

or maybe it's cheaper and easier to just get EU regulator that would fit EU / German bottles? from the looks of it, they are about same price as adaptors, in that case I still need to know the exact name what i need. from the looks of it, it would take less than 5 minutes to replace it. so i can swap it back if needed.

Bottle top regulators are 37mb for propane & 28mb for butane different pressures. There is no such thing as an EU regulator. There are many different regulators.

This is what you need to attach your regulator to your bottle eBay link

If bottle has 21.8mm butane nut thread & contains propane then  it will work.

Edited by Laurent
48 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Bottle top regulators are 37mb for propane & 28mb for butane different pressures. There is no such thing as an EU regulator. There are many different regulators.

This is what you need to attach your regulator to your bottle eBay link

If bottle has 21.8mm butane nut thread & contains propane then  it will work.

nice, thanks. You're 100% sure it would fit?

edit: I guess this is same thing? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224137007521

it's true, pictures tell more than 1000 words. it pretty much shows that it can connect those 2 things that I need, so I guess I'll go with this one.

It would be encouraging if someone would confirm 100% that it's the one i need.

Edited by Morlord
4 hours ago, Morlord said:

nice, thanks. You're 100% sure it would fit?

edit: I guess this is same thing? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224137007521

it's true, pictures tell more than 1000 words. it pretty much shows that it can connect those 2 things that I need, so I guess I'll go with this one.

It would be encouraging if someone would confirm 100% that it's the one i need.

if you buy that connector and fit you regulator to it please consider that if you then fit the connector to a cylinder and then remove it you will twist your hose every time.  I would say better off to fit the connector to the cylinder, hold it still with a spanner then fit your regulator and then remove regulator first then connector

At just over £13 that is about £7 less then a small calor gas propane refill

macafee2

16 hours ago, macafee2 said:

if you buy that connector and fit you regulator to it please consider that if you then fit the connector to a cylinder and then remove it you will twist your hose every time.  I would say better off to fit the connector to the cylinder, hold it still with a spanner then fit your regulator and then remove regulator first then connector

At just over £13 that is about £7 less then a small calor gas propane refill

macafee2

thx buddy, but I'm not one of those average idiots who twists their hoses and wires and then blows himself up :)
I'll give that connector a go soon'ish and hopefully it will fit and work.

Gas is a bit like the sea, a great servant but a formidable master.

So when faffing around with this bottle and that bottle connection and various permutations many folk forget that the pressure in the bottle for propane is around 100psi, in butane 32psi, so the correct outlet connection at the bottle connection  is critical, 32psi is a bit forgiving, 100psi isn't.

I wonder how Morlord has a UK camper, a pol propane reg and an ' EU ' bottle ?

Has he purchased, or obtained, the wrong bottle where he is at the moment ?

Plenty of advice above on how to sort it out.

But, if you want to be a nomad and travel about the various EU countries and possibly the UK, there are two basic choices, have a box full of regs and adaptors for the various systems used in different countries and accept that you may have to purchase different bottles.

Or go for re-fillable ones, not cheap, but at least whichever country you are in, with a few adaptors only needed for filling, a visit to a filling station that dispenses LPG and you are on your way in 15 mins  with a bottle full of gas far cheaper per KG than an exchange one.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes: