This may be of interest to all new coachman owners

Message added by CT Advertising,

CoachmanEach Coachman caravan is built to our exacting standards using state-of-the-art construction methods and materials and finished with the highest levels of specification and features.

We strive to move forward in our quest to create the perfect caravan.
Visit Coachman.co.uk for further details.

I live in the countryside and have to be aware of rodents and birds nesting  within my house, so i was checking underneath  my Acadia 460 yesterday

and was surprised at what i found. I covered external holes for pipework and cables (one size hole fits everything !) but if you lay on your back and look up between the front external lockers you can see a space between the lockers behind the central drawer and bed  locker.

To me this is inviting a nesting space for our wildlife so i cut a lightweight board and covered it up. The design of the front lockers looks nice in practice but in my opinion does waste valuable space, plus is a potential way of cold air entering the van. We kept wondering why next doors cats seemed to hang around under the front for hours on end. Hope this is of interest to other owners.

Liberal application of a good quality duct tape (I used Gorilla Tape - other makes are available) around the whole of the base (applied from underneath) reduces the access to the little varmits! Also cover the gas drop holes with galvanised mesh to allow gas out but not critters in

Trevor.

That "gap " might be for ventilation.........

Dave

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

If the gap was intentional, for ventilation why add gas drops? There would already be sufficient floor level ventilation without them.

The gaps as far as I could see were because it is easier to fit something 'almost' up to the walls, than to have the floor cut to an exact 'interference' fit and risk pushing the walls out of position.

Trevor.

This is not a specific Coachman problem but applies to all makes. Not sure it is possible to make them mouse proof though, but the more difficult you make it the better.

14 hours ago, gtepete said:

Any photographs?

I have taken a couple of photos as mine is on axle stands waiting for the stub axle to be replaced by AL-KO, so easier to get them.

441980378_UndersideofCoachmanFrontLockerVIP2020.thumb.jpg.9cb112411f91334f8cc7bee8e686ae92.jpg

375658943_UndersideoffrontlockerCoachmanVIP2020.thumb.jpg.4ecc3ae9fd6f50003d149959c4e34ec0.jpg

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

That appears to be too big  to be other than a massive oversight or an intentional part of the design.

I've never seen a gap as big as that in over 40 years of caravanning.

Ask the main dealer to check other similar models for the same "gap" and if "they are all the same sir" get on to Coachman and ask for an explanation.

In the meantime, if not using the van I think I'd be capping it off to keep out vermin and damp and next doors cat.

I've used stainless steel insect mesh on gaps but nothing on this scale. 

22 hours ago, david 1220 said:

That "gap " might be for ventilation.........

Dave

A gap is a gap, ventilation is done on purpose.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Thanks Kiaboy  for taking the time to take the photographs and uploading them to the forum. This is exactly what i am concerned about and i have a feeling that all 2020 models will have the same " ventilation space". I cannot go and check other vans at the dealers while i am in isolation but will go and check other vans when i can. 

This may be an oversite from coachman.

• Thanks 1

Just spoken to friends who have the Arcadia dealer special, they have the same gap. So looks like it is built as intended. 🤔🤷‍♂️

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

I noticed this on my Amara. In  the front locker the gap , where the floor meets the front panel, was about 30 mm. I got some foam pipe insulation, the round stuff with a slit up the side and cut to fit. It fits snugly up to the front panel, and the mesh vents release any gas .

From experience (not in the caravan) mice love the foam pipe insulation so don't rely on it to keep them out!

• I agree completely 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Having looked at the gap in my new 2020 460 vip I can see what the discussion is about. I suggest that before anyone starts to close the gap they should consider that there will be a lot of water coming down between the front van molding and the fairing covering the A frame. This water must be allowed to escape. To simply cover the 4 inch gap , even with some holes would stop the mice and birds but give a bigger future damp problem. As constructed there is little chance of birds or mice nesting as there is no platform for them to build on. Any other views?

I have just fitted mesh to the gap.

20201105_151853.thumb.jpg.5fc38c4bc5214607dd5dbdf3b9aede3f.jpg

I thought it looked a lot more than the usual 30mm or so  - more like 75 or even 100.

Well, if it is intended then I'd be using stainless steel mesh to allow venting and drainage but to keep out the vermin.

Neat job, kiaboy.

On 21/11/2020 at 13:40, kiaboy said:

I have just fitted mesh to the gap.

20201105_151853.thumb.jpg.5fc38c4bc5214607dd5dbdf3b9aede3f.jpg

Nice job, good to see someone sort something out after reading about it on the forum...