Hi

just purchased a new Coachman VIP which comes with a Phantom vanguard alarm. We pick the caravan up next week and was curious to know if a tracker could be installed. 

We ditched our tracker as the saving on the insurance did not cover the annual cost!

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Yes a tracker can be fitted and there are a few videos on YouTube covering the subject.

On a personal note, our present caravan came with a tracker fitted which was activated for the first year costing us £99.

On our previous twin axle caravan which was tracker free, certain insurers would not quote unless it had a a tracker fitted which I did not want to do so I was limited to fewer insurers.

With our current setup now which I initially thought good having a tracker, I have let the subscription lapse as firstly there wasn't enough savings on policies offered by those prepared to insure it and more importantly, as it is insured new for old by an insurer who does not stipulate a tracker to be fitted, should it be stolen I wouldn't want it back and would have a new replacement please thank you very much.

If I could not insure it new for old I would probably subscribe again to the tracker service then if it did get nicked I might get it back and then have the option of something to sell.

Just depends what you want out of it.

• Like 1

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

I will just point out a few facts about trackers.

They do nothing to prevent/deter theft.

They might assist in the recovery if it does ever get stolen, but it’s certainky not guaranteed. 

Most, if not all, professional caravan thieves will know exactly where to look for a tracker, and remove/disable them very quickly. 

The reduction in insurance premiums for having them is much less than the cost of the annual subscription. 

Me? Never had a tracker in a Motorhome or caravan, and never will for all of the above reasons (unless forced into it by an insurer of course)  I spend my money on highly visible and difficult (but not impossible) to remove physical security items (wheel lock, hitch lock etc) 

Personal choice of course in exactly the same way as some will only buy Michelin tyres at twice the price of a “lesser” makes that are just as good, or an iPhone at £1000+ rather than a £150 Huawei etc. 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

The question is, if some little scrote stole your caravan, would you really want it back??

• I agree completely 1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

14 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

The question is, if some little scrote stole your caravan, would you really want it back??

I think that would depend on how long in was in said scrotes possession, a few hours or so maybe, more than a day or two then probably not. 

Its a curious fact that many people who’s houses are burgled move within six months, I wonder how many change caravans if they get a stolen one back? 

17 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

No I wouldn’t, but would want the little darlings punished for their crimes..

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Just now, Jacko1 said:

You missed the word “severely” out ! 

Oh silly me, it’s the thieves that deserve our sympathy and help isn’t it, and not the nasty capitalists like us who put temptation in their way :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I will just point out a few facts about trackers.

They do nothing to prevent/deter theft.

They might assist in the recovery if it does ever get stolen, but it’s certainky not guaranteed. 

Most, if not all, professional caravan thieves will know exactly where to look for a tracker, and remove/disable them very quickly. 

The reduction in insurance premiums for having them is much less than the cost of the annual subscription. 

Me? Never had a tracker in a Motorhome or caravan, and never will for all of the above reasons (unless forced into it by an insurer of course)  I spend my money on highly visible and difficult (but not impossible) to remove physical security items (wheel lock, hitch lock etc) 

Personal choice of course in exactly the same way as some will only buy Michelin tyres at twice the price of a “lesser” makes that are just as good, or an iPhone at £1000+ rather than a £150 Huawei etc. 

Out of curiosity Mr Plodd what make of wheel lock do you use ?   I'm leaning towards AL-KO or milenco.

2 hours ago, Jacko1 said:

would it not depend on how long the caravan had been stolen for? If by chance it was found trundling along a motorway on its way to a port on the same day, would you still not want it back?

macafee2

The police do not prioritise theft if have more important crimes to attend.  A cop who lives nr me tells me that there are just 2 cars to deal with crime at night in the whole rural Colchester/Clacton north Essex area.  

So even if you see your caravan being stolen in real time it is unlikely that cops would be in a position to mount an instant hot pursuit with chopper in the sky & several cars on the road. If the stolen caravan is located via the tracker it could well be at a place where to extract it safely would require a large police operation which is unlikely to be authorised for just one stolen caravan.

A tracker in my view might assist the insurance with eventual recovery of the caravan but is little use to the owner.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SilverSurfer said:

Out of curiosity Mr Plodd what make of wheel lock do you use ?   I'm leaning towards AL-KO or milenco.

Having looked at the various types with a critical eye I decided that the AL-KO wheel lock seemed to be exceedingly robust and would be the most difficult, and more importantly time consuming, one to defeat. So that is my wheel lock of choice. Having said that they are, without a doubt, a tad “fiddly” to fit. A motor mover is pretty much essential in order to line everything up, and it would be a nightmare on a twin axle set up! 

All security devices/locks can be defeated with the right equipment, but you need some pretty hard core kit to defeat the AL-KO lock, which is probably why most insurance companies offer a decent discount AND most caravan manufacturers supply their caravans with the AL-KO receiver pre-installed. 

Others will sing sing the praises of wheel clamps which, (again in my view) are not as difficult to defeat (but are nothing approaching easy though) 

Hope that helps? 

Our caravan insurer does not recognise the Milenco wheel lock (Wraith ?) as a recommended lock, only the AL-KO one for a caravan above £20k replacement. Below that value you can use whatever lock/clamp you want as long as one is used, plus the hitch lock.

Edited by Paul1957