Buying a few bits in Aldi today and noticed they'd got the inline automatic battery chargers for 12.99.Don't really need one, but at that price might as well go for it. Got it out and tried it on a leisure battery in the garage and seems ok. Anyone used one? They seem to have had them in periodically for some time now. Not all good though, because it made me forget the ice creams and beer I was meaning to pick up! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it is this one, Dobloseven - I’ve had one of its predecessors for about 12 years now, and it’s been great. If we’re not out in the van for about 4 weeks or more, I bring the battery home and use this charger on it, and it keeps it nicely topped up.

On a previous van I had a temperamental on-board charger, so I carried this one with me … and used it a couple of times whilst on site.

As it’s only a trickle charger the one time it struggled is when I let a spare car battery (used to power a shed light) get too low … then I had to use my old-fashioned one to give it some ‘woomph’ first.

John

This one has a 5 amp rapid mode which is higher than the conventional style automatic one I've been using. Looks the same as the one in the link though. 

What sort of battery is it for just lead acid?  It does not mention EFD and AGM which previous ones they sold had a Mode switch for.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Had a quick look at the instructions and it seems to be suitable for EFD and AGM. Not lithium though.

I'm a fan of the Lidl version! !

I currently (no pun intended) have four of various ages.

These too say they aren't suitable for lithium batteries. But after a little research, they can be used to charge one up as the maximum charge voltage is relatively low. What they can't do well is maintain the lithium battery (keep it on 24/7). So if your lithium is flat, it will recharge OK, but don't keep it on.

• Like 2

Another with the Lidl one, always take it when we go touring, not needed it yet but it weighs very little.

Awhile back when looking into these things I did find via Google a video, probably YouTube, and they were both opened up and were the same inside.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

There is an Aldi smart charger that looks almost identical to the one referred to at the start of this thread of which I have one - and it works a treat. 6V and 12V, trickle and boost charge, max current 3.8A.

Like another I also have the very similar Lidl which I've had for a decade or more. Operationally it is identical to the Aldi unit.

However both of them suffer from the same problem. If the mains fails for any reason they do not self-restart - that is an entirely manual process.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

The Lidl equivalent was uprated to 5A around a year or so ago (there's a You Tube comparison 'tear down' of both, if interested one 5A the other 3.8A);  so this is probably a catch-up by Aldi on the current rating.  3.8 A to 5 A is not a really big increase though? 

It still has the same 'mode' button for the different charge /voltage regimes in the picture from Aldi's website (though no mention of battery types nor voltage/currents in the blurb). 

Cheaper in Ireland €12.27 cf the UK £12.99 :blink: unless they quote exc vat there and UK is inclusive?

• Like 1

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

15 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

However both of them suffer from the same problem. If the mains fails for any reason they do not self-restart - that is an entirely manual process.

I too have several Aldi/Liddle chargers obtained over the years. Since power failures are a rarity where I live I don't see this as a significant feature. It's certainly not worth paying several times the price for. In any case I don't like the idea of leaving a battery, on charge & unattended, for more than a day or so just for safety reasons alone. I've seen/heard of too many 'disasters' allowed to happen by this.

16 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

As it’s only a trickle charger the one time it struggled is when I let a spare car battery (used to power a shed light) get too low … then I had to use my old-fashioned one to give it some ‘woomph’ first.

John

If the battery is below about 10V the charger can't decide whether it's an over-charged 6V or a very flat 12V LOL. The older models let you manually select the voltage.

Connecting a 12v (21W) bulb in line will give enough resistance to fool the charger into working. I've also found, if left on for a day or more, the charger will ultimately charge it, though it may take several days to a week or more to reach full charge.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

I’ve got an excellent battery charger. 

A solar solar panel on my caravan roof  :P

Yes I know it’s a cheap shot, but I just couldn’t resist it, sorry ;)

• Like 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

22 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I’ve got an excellent battery charger. 

A solar solar panel on my caravan roof  :P

Yes I know it’s a cheap shot, but I just couldn’t resist it, sorry ;)

Equally cheap shot:

But that only works when the sun is out LOL.

• Like 1

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

51 minutes ago, micktheshed said:

Equally cheap shot:

But that only works when the sun is out LOL.

Not totally correct, it produces electrical energy from daylight, but bright sunshine is much  better.

I have solar panels on my house, so as a comparison on really sunny midsummer days they produce  around 25 KWh (nearly £5 worth) today they produced just over one KWh! (About 80p’s worth :(

But it has been a really grotty day here 

But I do get your point ! 

• Like 1

Touché chase!  (Is that really how it’s spelt?).
I bet cleaning them  also makes quite a difference (especially if you don't fall off the ladder) LOL.

I have to wait for it to rain to clean my panels for two reasons, I don’t fancy going up a ladder that high these days and, more importantly, there’s a conservatory in the way! 

As good an excuse as I've ever heard....

It’s a darn good reason, not an excuse :P

• Haha 1

I know this is out of a lot of peoples price range but this is a thing of beauty. It has a desulfator facility to restore old batteries and can charge batteries from 2v.

As many know it's difficult to bring a battery back if it falls under a certain voltage.

I bought it a while back on sale and it's paid for itself now.

https://no.co/g26000

There's cheaper ones available. 

Edited by Argyll
23 minutes ago, Argyll said:

I know this is out of a lot of peoples price range but this is a thing of beauty. It has a desulfator facility to restore old batteries and can charge batteries from 2v.

As many know it's difficult to bring a battery back if it falls under a certain voltage.

I bought it a while back on sale and it's paid for itself now.

https://no.co/g26000

There's cheaper ones available. 

Do you have a 110v supply to run it ?

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Ignore my last post please. 🙄

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes: