i was wondering what the rules were regarding fetching my repaired van back from shrewsbury to wolverhampton during covid restrictions.  We are in tier two at present but would not be surprised if that changed upwards. Any thoughts. ?

From another thread:-

On 16/10/2020 at 14:07, Silversurf said:

If it is any help, I personally and will be, going by these recommendations and rules below from the Welsh government at the moment, until, or if  Drakeford manages to come to a decision before Christmas and they change !

The fallacy  that " After 6pm tonight we are not allowed into Wales at all ........" is that, just a fallacy, carefully read and understand what the restrictions are from 18:00 tonight, subject to you keeping to the rules and suggestions , you can in fact travel to and from anywhere in Wales at the moment, again subject to change and rules.

Our understanding at the moment from the Government website is:

“Can I visit my … caravan … to collect my belongings and secure it for Winter? 

Yes, we consider that you have a reasonable excuse to do this even if the trip involves travelling into, or out of an area with local restrictions.  You may need to agree a time and date with the site owners to visit, and you should remain at the location for the shortest period possible before returning straight home. 

While on site you should of course continue to maintain social distancing and practise good hand hygiene.   

But you should not stay away from your local area overnight while local restrictions are in operation either where you live or where you would be staying.” 

Therefore, visit for the day is allowed just to pack up and prepare the caravan for winter but not to stay overnight. 

So I would poddle off this weekend whilst you can, to do what needs to be done and see what changes Monday evening brings....................if any.

I would presume a similar situation would apply to collecting your caravan, although I would avoid contact with others and not staying overnight for both your protection and that of others.

• I agree completely 1

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

But going from Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton should not involve you driving into Wales so I see no problem in you collecting the van. 

• Like 1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I believe that Shrewsbury is in tier 1, and since parts of Wolverhampton are in a higher tier, the main issue is for you to protect the other folk at the dealers. The "rules" are not specific to caravan dealers so all the general principles apply.

Wear a mask, keep your distance, avoid contact etc.

If, as I suspect, the dealer is Salop Leisure, they take precautions seriously so you should have no problem as long as you do the same.

Quick internet search got tier2 restrictions turned this up

Travel is permitted to amenities that are open, for work or to access education, but people are advised to reduce the number of journeys where possible.

I would be inclined to consider collecting the caravan is not essential, unless your dealer wants it off his yard. 
Your best bet might be to speak with the dealer, and see if he can keep the van secure, or if he wants it gone.  That at least gives you your options 

The rules and explanation of them in finer details are at best ambiguous at worst non existent, leaving many folk at a loss as to do what's best.

The OP will be doing an approx. round trip of around 60 miles, as long as he drives there and back without stopping, contacts the workshop to see if it is OK to collect and what precautions he needs to have when arriving and when at the premises I can see no problem.

I wonder how he stands insurance wise to leave the van at the workshop for an extended period ?

Similarly the workshop obviously will want all finished vans off the premisses for a couple of reasons, to get new work in and to reduce the risk of damage.

So in this respect it could be classed as an essential journey !

As a side note, I did intend to check the A55 webcams a few times today to see if as Chief Inspector Jeff Moses anticipated, it will have vans flying along the 55, but forgot,I've just glanced through them and not a van in site, in fact at 20:00 earlier on a Friday night it was dead quiet.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

The rules and explanation of them in finer details are at best ambiguous at worst non existent, leaving many folk at a loss as to do what's best.

A few days ago I would have laughed at that, all information is online and easy to access and understand. Isn’t it? No appears to be the answer.

I have been asked to attend a meeting at Electricity North West on Tuesday. No problem, oh hang on, it’s in Blackburn, I don’t think I can go, I will have a quick Google. Well, I have decided not to go but various searches weren’t as crystal clear as folks think it should be.

• Like 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Last week I took and later collected our caravan from Glossop Caravans for its service. I am in tier one, they are tier two. They have clear ways of doing things, you have an arrival time allotted, you go there and wait in your car until somebody comes out to you. Masks are worn, you only go inside if you want to so you can pay and that can be done outside, the waiting room toilet can still be used. In the inside waiting area all the chairs have been removed and there are screens up at the desk. Everyone keeps apart. 

If you do not collect your caravan when it is ready they can charge for storage so leaving a caravan until some future date could be expensive. If people do not collect their caravans it could quickly lead to problems filling up their site.

There's no problem at all with collecting it.  Only people in Tier 3 areas are advised not to travel outside of their area, along with people not travelling into a tier 3.

No issues with going from a 2 to 1.

This covers what you can  and can't do

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/local-covid-alert-levels-what-you-need-to-know

The key word in all if this is 'advised' therefore not  illegal, even if you live in tire 3. Also its business not pleasure.

• Like 1

Interested in Paul 1957 post, I'm due to collect a new caravan from them in three weeks.

If you are not doing this for three weeks I think you will have to wait as we hardly know the rules for tomorrow. Three weeks may as well be three years at the moment. As we are in Scotland, I am not sure of the details for England so cannot answer the original question.

4 hours ago, Wildwood said:

If you are not doing this for three weeks I think you will have to wait as we hardly know the rules for tomorrow. Three weeks may as well be three years at the moment. As we are in Scotland, I am not sure of the details for England so cannot answer the original question.

Problem is our leaders don't know what's going to be the rules for tomorrow! 

I'm just miffed as we may well be in tier 3 in a matter of days even though this weeks figures are proving tier 2 is working... in the North East LA7 area so Why?   But the real irritation is the northern area we live has a ratio of 40 per 100k why just group large geographical areas  when time after time it's been said a targeted approach to hotspots would be used.

14 hours ago, PaulR said:

Interested in Paul 1957 post, I'm due to collect a new caravan from them in three weeks.

The service centre is about ½ mile from the sales site so you will probably be collecting from the sales site. However, I would expect both sites will operate similarly. Problem I find with Glossop is the traffic since there are always queues at the lights whichever direction you travel. On the infection rate, it does not take long for it to get high, a few weeks ago we were about 3 but latest about 180 per 100,000 in 7 days. Only way to keep/get it low is for everyone to keep apart as much as possible.

Edited by Paul1957

Got to agree, it's really irrelevant what the government dictates or makes law the answer is education.  For example, the set speed limit is 70mph on a motorway but when you do 70 how many cars overtake you. Rules & laws will not fix the problem we need to educate the people who are not adhering to change. Unfortunately easier said than done.

• I agree completely 1
20 hours ago, PaulR said:

Problem is our leaders don't know what's going to be the rules for tomorrow! 

True, but nor does anybody else.  People keep complaining that they want more notice of changes to the rules but how do they think that is possible?  Personally, I think that the notice they give, usually a few days, is illogical.  If the risk is high then we should take precautions immediately, not wait until the deadline.  The only case for advance notice is to allow businesses to make any necessary changes.

Edited by DACS
  • I agree completely 2

Only a few weeks ago the local leaders were complaining the government were not involving them. Others complaining lock down measures were being implemented with little notice. The government were told off by the speaker for not involving parliament. Now involving all these people, the result is that measures are taking a long time to be implemented and the infection rate gets higher with consequent health problems. When the mayor of Greater Manchester was giving media speeches, he only seemed to go on about money, I did not hear him mention the extra deaths the delays would be causing.

Edited by Paul1957
  • I agree completely 1

I am afraid that giving people too much warning is a problem. The government set the date for closing pubs and the like in England at one time on a Monday and the result a last party on Friday and Saturday, where in Scotland they were closed on Friday, so no street parties and a lower rate of infection.  Just doing it quickly may cause problems for people affected but you just have to accept that is the way to do it.

Main reason for collection is to use it while renovating  bungalow we are moving into early November. But thanks to all for your input with really interesting info.

Worth pointing out that the the dealer can deliver it to your home. It is no different than Tesco delivering to your home or the Amazon van delivering to you.

1 hour ago, Laurent said:

Worth pointing out that the the dealer can deliver it to your home. It is no different than Tesco delivering to your home or the Amazon van delivering to you.

Unless there are Regulated Finance Agreements involved that have to be signed on "Trade Premises"

• I disagree 2

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Sorry. Please accept my profuse apologies for neglecting to cover all angles possible including the important point you raise.

A Truly stupid & schoolboy error for which I can only hang my head in shame.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Laurent said:

Sorry. Please accept my profuse apologies for neglecting to cover all angles possible including the important point you raise.

A Truly stupid & schoolboy error for which I can only hang my head in shame.

Considering the fact 0ver 70% of caravans both new and used are bought using dealer finance it is a very relevant comment I made.

If you don't want other members commenting on your posts then don't touch the keyboard, and definitely save the sarcasm for somewhere else.

• I do not understand 1
  • I disagree 3

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

10 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Considering the fact over 70% of caravans both new and used are bought using dealer finance it is a very relevant comment I made.

But OP said he is collecting it from repair, so how is that relevant?

why would there be finance agreements from a caravan repair?

• I agree completely 1

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

On 24/10/2020 at 06:52, PaulR said:

5 hours ago, Laurent said:

10 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

But OP said he is collecting it from repair, so how is that relevant?

why would there be finance agreements from a caravan repair?

The OP did say it was a collection after a service, however PaulR talks about collecting a new caravan, and as Tesco and Amazon only deliver purchases not serviced items, it is safe to presume Laurent was replying to those comments, hence my reply.

It does help to read all the posts :)

• Sad 1