How do I connect the gas bottle and do I need new parts? (Old caravan)

I've just moved into my first caravan and connecting the gas is a lot more complicated than I imagined. It's a really old caravan (I'd estimate at least 30 years old), I don't even know what model/brand it is, and the friend I bought it off hasn't used the gas facilities in ten years. He(the friend I bought it from) has given me a full new gas bottle for it but I didn't ask him to show me how to set it up before I moved in and now I'm a bit stuck. It's a small gas bottle, fits in a case that sits over the towbar. I've been reading online and apparently I might need to buy new "pigtail pipes" as everything in the caravan is so old? I might be able to get someone to help me but I don't even know if there's a point if it needs new parts. How would I go about this and where do I connect the gas bottle? It doesn't connect to any heating or anything, it's just the stove if that makes a difference. Can anyone on here give me simple instructions or safety tips? I can't understand the technical language on the websites I've been looking on and I don't want to accidentally blow up my home. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Jasmine
I forgot to mention something

Welcome first thing is safety second thing is safety you need to get it checked i know this may seem a bit of a downer but do get it checked , any one in your area with a van most vanners are really helpful just ask another great place is you tube loads of helpful videos plenty of people will be along soon with good advice and just remember we all started out the same as you scratching our heads and looking bewildered 

Edited by mickfishing

now retired and loving it

Given the age of the van, you almost certainly require a bottle mounted regulator, with a flex pipe to the vans fixed pipe work. 
However, given that the gas system has not been used for at least ten years, you really need to get a mobile engineer, who can inspect and test the gas installation. 
You really cannot take chances with gas and the appliances 

In the interests of safety, and getting everything working properly I suggest you ask a local mobile caravan mechanic to sort it and give it a safety check.

You probably just need a new piece of low pressure gas hose and the proper regulator for your gas bottle.

"Pigtails" are for relatively modern vans, and your description of the gas bottle locker suggests that it is much older.

If you post a photo or two of the van I dare say someone will have more info.

• I agree completely 1

I agree with the caution expressed in previous posts.  Get a qualified mobile caravan maintenance person to check the gas appliances (heater, water heater, grille, hob, oven). He will probably fit a new  low pressure hose and regulator for you before he checks the gas heater water heater etc. Go to the AWS web site and find an AWS caravan engineer. (AWS = Approved Workshop Scheme), and is found on the NCC web site (NNC = National Caravan Council). Don't be tempted to use the gas appliances even if they appear to work, as these can be dangerous especially if they have been un-used for a long time. 

Edited by Ern

Ern

what colour is your bottle?  This may help us refer you to the correct pigtail, a picture of the gas bottle would be even better.

macafee2

2 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

what colour is your bottle?  This may help us refer you to the correct pigtail, a picture of the gas bottle would be even better.

macafee2

There is no pigtail on this caravan. It is pre-bulkead regulator.

Ern

One more voice to say get an expert in to check out the gas supply, you cannot afford to take any chances.

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

1 hour ago, Ern said:

There is no pigtail on this caravan. It is pre-bulkead regulator.

fair point but the gas bottle fittings are different, so it would help to know the bottle and the end of the gas fitting to see if they are compatible and advise what is needed.

macafee2