Tevion system to sky+ hd box

Hello

New here, first post so er Hi!

Having had a long break from caravans we’ve just bought a new (to us) lovely little van

We’ve just set up a tevion Freesat system (The type that folds up into a case) and after multiple arguments, a few hysterics  and a couple of divorce threats we’ve got it working fine 

My problem is that I can’t get it to work when I ditch the box that came with the set and try and connect my sky+hd box

a few years ago we rigged up a system with a huge dish (eBay), a scaffold pole and our sky box from the house and I got pretty canny with setting up sky in a few minutes but I cannot get either signal strength or quality with this system on sky

can anybody help please? I’m sure I’m missing something simple (like does the tevion dish and lnb even work with sky? I’ve googled and Googled but can’t find the definitive answer although I’ve seen a few mentions of using this system with a sky box

thank you

Edited by Sophie17
Trying to figure out how to follow so I get notified if anyone replies!

A dish and an LNB is all that any standard sat Rx* needs and a SKy box is no exception (i.e. excepting a Sky Q box.)

One things come to mind: are you sure the dish is on a signal peak and not a side lobe of the dish.  (The dish doesn't just receive centrally but will receive slightly off line albeit a very much weaker signal.)  The Sky+HD box is notoriously deaf so it is possible your dish and its LNB are producing a good enough signal for the supplied Freesat box to work as it is more sensitive but the signal is not good enough to wake the Sky box.

An in-line signal meter is a good idea. You can get them for well south of a tenner when they are on offer in Lidl or Aldi. Also if you have an Android phone download an app called Satellite Director. This will show you exactly where to point the dish - and don't forget when lining up you need to move it up and down as well as side to side.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

1 hour ago, robf1234 said:

hi is the sat a single feed ,,might need to change the settings on the sky box to single ,,thats what i have to do when i take my box with me ,, 

Ah ha - yes it is and I’ve not done that! 

do you know last time I can remember having to do something to get the box to work but I couldnt remember for the life of me what it was.....

I shall remind myself what I need to do (no idea how I survived before google...) and have a go at that tomorrow 

thank you 

1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

A dish and an LNB is all that any standard sat Rx* needs and a SKy box is no exception (i.e. excepting a Sky Q box.)

One things come to mind: are you sure the dish is on a signal peak and not a side lobe of the dish.  (The dish doesn't just receive centrally but will receive slightly off line albeit a very much weaker signal.)  The Sky+HD box is notoriously deaf so it is possible your dish and its LNB are producing a good enough signal for the supplied Freesat box to work as it is more sensitive but the signal is not good enough to wake the Sky box.

An in-line signal meter is a good idea. You can get them for well south of a tenner when they are on offer in Lidl or Aldi. Also if you have an Android phone download an app called Satellite Director. This will show you exactly where to point the dish - and don't forget when lining up you need to move it up and down as well as side to side.

hmmm yes I’m using an inline signal meter  (the noise drives you potty after a while) and have been using a similar app (dish align) which projects a similarly distracting noise....

but I get you - maybe more fine tweaking is required to kickstart the box which is currently enjoying its apparent retirement 

ok great - thank you at least I know it should work theoretically which gives me more incentive to continue trying rather than earlier today when I didn’t even know if this system would work with a sky box 

Just felt it appropriate to say thank you both - I managed to get it sorted today.

We live in a small village with our house in full view of the entire village. I fear a video of me getting cobby while I was out in the  less than favourable weather adjusting the dish with the wire going through the window may go viral sometime soon....... 

2 hours ago, Sophie17 said:

Just felt it appropriate to say thank you both - I managed to get it sorted today.

We live in a small village with our house in full view of the entire village. I fear a video of me getting cobby while I was out in the  less than favourable weather adjusting the dish with the wire going through the window may go viral sometime soon....... 

Problem with finding the Astra 28.2 series of satellites is you need TWO parameters to get a picture😀.

1 signal strength any cheap meter will buzz away getting louder as you hit the satelite and as you tilt the dish up and down to get maximum volume.

But you might not get a picture.

Unless

2 you have a high enough quality of signal-about 70% on my SF500 sat finder gets a picture.

I found after years of entertaining fellow caravanners in the rain waving my dish around the purchase of a sat finder dedicated or programmed to find only the Astra 28.2 got almost instant results.

Others have found the signal only £15 meter works for them-not in my experience.

A dedicated meter will give you both signal strength and quality cost about £60 upwards.

My SF500 was available for £30 on ebay-but you have to programme it to find the Astra satelites as its set up for use in Asia.