What age did you start caravanning?

We started with a Pennine Pullman folding camper in 1986 which we kept for approx 10 years then we changed to caravans to extend the season. We've had 3 since and loved our holidays in them, we still go flying occasionally but hate the whole airport experience so can't wait to go away in the van. So we started at 44/45 and are now 68/69.

Frazer

Kia Sportage towing Lunar Ultima SE

First caravan at 41, wife 38, 25th year this last spring. Trailer tent for 8 or so years before and tents before that. First van was a six year old Adria six berth kept for six years followed by a new Burstner five berth kept for five years. Then a new Avondale six berth twin axle kept for eight years until current Bailey bought new again, in 2014.

We bought a 7 year old Vauxhall Zafira in January 2010, it just happened to have a towbar fitted. Later in the year I came across a gentleman who had bought a caravan, 1981 Avondale Wren,  had nowhere to keep it and was desperate to sell. I had a quick look at it, offered him £150 for it and was surprised when my offer was accepted, I was 58 ish at the time. Now have a 2011 xplore 302, another small 'van, but just the right size for 2 of us and our small dog. :)

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

First caravan at 19 me and my wife are now both 36 and still love caravanning with my 5 year daughter. 

I was 39 and wife 35, with 3 and 6 year old girls... if she had her way we would have got one pre kids (I wish she had!).

On 22/10/2020 at 01:18, Dave87 said:

I was having a conversation with a work colleague a few weeks ago and when i mentioned i plan to get a caravan in the not to distant future he said, aren't you abit young for a caravan 🤨 which got me thinking.

I'm 33 now and plan to get a caravan before i'm 35, so at what age did you start caravanning and how old are you now?

First caravan holiday I was about 5 years old.

After getting married at 23 we had a couple of years using tents then 'upgraded' to a tourer, while still continuing to use tents until earlier this year when covid stopped all trips away.

I was born in 1954 so I'll leave you to do the maths ;)

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Me and OH were in late 20s/late30s.  We started off camping (the frame tents), then moved up to trailer tents, folding campers and now caravans.  My OH since passed away last year aged 79 (would have been 80 in November) and I'm 66yrs old, and I now go away on my own in the caravan.  Did my first solo in late July this year.  Would have been earlier, but the dreaded virus, stopped me

2 hours ago, Gordon said:

First caravan holiday I was about 5 years old.

After getting married at 23 we had a couple of years using tents then 'upgraded' to a tourer, while still continuing to use tents until earlier this year when covid stopped all trips away.

I was born in 1954 so I'll leave you to do the maths ;)

Not to hard on the maths, my dad was born in 1954 lol. 

I wasn't expecting so many replies thank you all. 

It's great to see plenty of folk starting out in their 30s or even earlier and also plenty who have made the move from tent camping, like we'll be doing. 

We've had two trailer tents, i sold the first one to make way for the second one but i stored it at a relatives house and the top cover blew off in really heavy wind & rain. It was ruined. Back to a regular tent now, airbeam setup. 

Started when we were in our mid 30s on our way to look at a tent stopped at traffic lights outside van dealership 1 hour later had bought a Marden classic caravan hadn't even got a tow bar bro in law picked it up for us fitted tow bar to our 1750 hl allegro  and had 5 great years with it sold to bro inlaw  started going abroad on package holidays came back to caravaning about 12 years ago now in our 70s and taking grandkids with us our kids loved going abroad but always say caravaning is the beast.

now retired and loving it

Caravanned with my parents from a very young age. Travelled all over the UK and Europe until I was a teenager.

Married in my early 20's and we had our honeymoon in my parents van on the CC site at Castleton.

Started work at 21 and bought a Monza 1200 from a friend at work. Paintwork all T-cutted and polished, A-frame painted with hammerite, van all resealed and new tyres fitted. Towed with an Opel Manta Berlinetta.

When my Father died we got his Abbey GT214. The Manta was a bit underpowered so we bought another Manta, the 2.0 GTE. Swapped the towbar over and toured for a few years until we had children.

Changed van to a Sprite 5 berth then after a few years changed to an Abbey Stafford. When the children stopped coming away with us we bought a Bailey Senator, then changed to a Bailey GT65 Verona.

Both retired and bought a Buccaneer.

Quite a few tow cars along the way as well.

So, I've been caravanning for about 50+ years, but been towing  vans for about 35 years.:)

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

about 2, with my parents in 1937 ,, got my own van (10'6" Fairholme, towed with a 1952 split screen Morris Minor) when I married (to a caravanner) in 1964 ....  

Edited by Disco Kid
  • Like 1

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

My OH brought our caravan last year as she always wanted one. She’s 38 now. I’m 46 so think we started out late by looks of reply’s on here. Lol

Glad she did as I do shifts and get days off in week we can take short break whenever we like. Plus sites are not too pricy unlike going abroad for couple of days 

We were 60 & 58 when we took up caravanning. Just wished we had done it earlier. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

In 1972 we were 24 when we first purchased a caravan having been tent campers prior to this, Our first caravan was a  4-berth Ace Airstream towed by our Vauxhall Victor SL 2000. Oh what great times. 

After more than 35 years caravanning changed to motorhome for 5 years and loved it but now back in the fold of caravanning but still miss our motorhome.

Kia Sorento KX3 Auto - sold our 2018 Coachman VIP and now await our 2021 Coachman Laser Xcel 575 Special Edition

I was 9 when my parents purchased their Sprite. We were campers for many years when our kids were growing up. Then the other half said "I am fed up crawling into bed" in a tent. We purchased our first caravan in 2004, a Bailey Ranger 382, now we are on caravan number 7. Our daughter also has a caravan. She has had it for 2 years, a Mum of 2 and she is 34. A proud Grandad at 63.

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi Outlander GX4 Automatic.

My parents had a 6 birth 1960's buccaneer caravan towed by a series 2 lwb land rover by the time i was 7 (now 52) i was driving dad's land rover as soon as i passed my driving tested i was towing and had a caravan of my own a 2 berth 1969 Cheltenham towed by a old series 1 swb 

Edited by twizzy

Personally, looks like a lot of us started in the 70s/80s, and starting out with families, and wanted holidays.  Camping/caravanning was cheaper than package holidays and even staying in B&Bs in this country, or even static caravans.  Doing it ourselves, we could choose where we could go, and how often.  Back then people who were doing the package holidays, probably had one holiday a year, whereas us that were camping (yes, with tents:D), found that we could have numerous holidays through the year

I agree with basically everything you say Babs except that we didn’t start Caravanning ( or tenting for that matter ) because of the price comparison with other forms of holidays. It was purely for the life style which you describe and which we still enjoy all these years later.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.