What age did you start caravanning?

I was having a conversation with a work colleague a few weeks ago and when i mentioned i plan to get a caravan in the not to distant future he said, aren't you abit young for a caravan ūü§® which got me thinking.

I'm 33 now and plan to get a caravan before i'm 35, so at what age did you start caravanning and how old are you now?

Why do i want a caravan, well my grandparents always had tourers when i was a kid and with me & my sister been their only grand kids at the time we were always in tow (pun intended)  , eventually they had their van sited permanently in skegness before buying a static also in skeg, my grandmother passed away 3 weeks after getting the keys to the static. 

I have always wanted a caravan ever since i was a kid and now i have children of my own, i want them to experience it.

Dave

53. I had a 1980s VW camper for 10yrs before that & only reason I changed was because a car/caravan is more cost effective than a campervan.  Spend 50k or more on a new camper or motorhome & you will probably still need a car for everyday. A caravan just stands in my garden for use when needed & is far cheaper to maintain than a camper.

I can’t see how age comes into it except that younger folk may not have the financial means to go caravanning. I would have got a VW camper in my 20s if I could have afforded it but we had to go tent camping instead in those days.

Caravanning is something you do if you fancy it. Anybody who does not fancy it will not get it whatever age they are.

Towed M&D's Abbey Hereford with a Morris Marina Est 1.8cc¬† when I was 17. The following year I borrowed it for me & my mates for a holiday (back when a group of young lads on holiday weren't frowned upon)¬† towing with my Morris Marina 1.8 TC (so called sporty one) reg¬† OGR 209M reckon not much can scare¬†me now towing ūüėČHow old I'm I well that was back in 1984!

33 after we decided to give up tenting! My wifes parents had a van so she had been away in it so was used to it. It was new to me.

Edited by 664DaveS

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

I was 19 and my now wife was 17, our main hobby is steam engines so needed one for the weekends at steam rallies etc but it got use quite a lot when we were younger for cheap holidays as well. Now we really only use the caravan for the steam events but will often stay an extra couple of nights.

Edited by tom_1989

29, Hillman Hunter towing a Bailey Maru that was over 45 years ago, now have a Mazda CX5 towing a Swift Challenger 480. 

Edited by penman

We bought our first caravan when we were about 30 and we had been tent campers since my wife and I were in our teens. We had 3 children and they loved the tent and all the outdoor freedom. The caravan made it easier for us to travel further, and have a much longer season (all year round). Were now in our 45th year of caravanning.

Ern

Age just 26 just 12 months after I swore I wouldn't need the space at the side of my house for storage of a caravan. 

I only got one after a very wet weekend diving and staying in a tent, it was wetter in the tent than the sea. 

Once we got a van it was the only holidays we bothered with. 

I cant stand the hassle of Airports these days . 

Danny

I was 24 when we borrowed a caravan for our summer holiday and bought one later that year, towed by a Range Rover.

I had camped since I was about 5 and then used my future father in law’s trailer tent for a few years including our honeymoon.

Now 68.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Really interesting question Dave87, with some equally interesting answers.

All goes to show that we were late (and old) comers to the fraternity.

Started 4 years ago at the ripe age of 58...

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Bought my first van 45 years ago when I was 25. Decided it was cheaper to buy an old tourer instead of renting a static in Newquay Cornwall. Got a well used Sprite Musketeer hand painted it externally in white and mustard gloss paint (Woolworths best) to match our Austin Maxi !!!! Towed to Newquay with no problem and kept van for 3 years. Sold it for a profit to a man that wanted to use it as a site hut on a building site !

Grew up with campervanning, then tent and camper van then caravan. Once I left home tent and moped. Got a girlfriend and motorbike and tent touring. Had a break for a few years then at about 32 married and with two children on still in nappies we got our first caravan. Manky old thing that sat at an angle and leaked with no bathroom, hot water or mod cons but we had so much fun.  You do not need to spend a lot to have fun, we paid £500

Tried all sorts of holidays, camping, campavanning, caravanning, B&B, Hotel full and half board, self catering, cruise and for me caravanning tops the lot.

macafee2

I was 22 my now wife 19 at the time 

All our friends thought we were ‚Äėsad‚Äô to buy a caravan.

Most if not all followed suit and now have caravans themselves. 

33 in a £700 Monza.  A little over a month short of 69 now but forced to cancel all my trips this year. The Welsh government lockdown being the final nail in the coffin.

Volvo XC60 Momentum Pro D4 pulling an Elddis Crusader Mistral

In our 40's, Mr Jim swore all through life that he would never tow a caravan ( he drives a HGV and sick of following them at times). Now look at us.  Gone from tent to folding camper to a TA van.

Son laughs at us and our 'hobby' but the other day said he thought a campervan might be a good idea - he's 20!

Wouldn't go away in anything else, much like macafee2.

31 in 1978 with a Sprite 400 that cost £400. Then got a Thomson Glen followed by a Perle Adonis and and a Trophy Agilic. In 1989 we got our first 'decent, modern' outfit that wasn't secondhand, a Bailey Maru. All our vans since then have been new. 

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

We have been caravanning for about 37 years in our early thirties.. I have not recorded when exactly it was but we had a frame tent before that. We started with a second hand 4 berth 10 ft Piper which was possibly the most Tardis like caravan ever. That lasted us two years when a third daughter had us move up to a five berth Trophy, most famous for its light weight and aluminium chassis. We are now up to number seven with just the two of us most of the time.

As my wife says the less of us there are the bigger the caravans get.

Edited by Wildwood

I started age 12 with my parents, then at around 17 to 18, switched to my own tent, with occasional stays in the parents caravan once or twice a year.

Then at 40 finally decided the tent was roughing it too much and bought my own caravan, microscopic Island Plastics Romini, which was basically around 6ft 6ins square with a door in the middle of the rear wall, a small double dinette at the front, cooker and sink one side and fridge and wardrobe the other. 

I  rally most of the time so had a toilet tent outside. 

That was 24 years plus ago.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

We had a trailer tent, which up ended and could be wheeled round the back of the house for storage.

We moved house and had a much larger drive and garden so one of the first things we bought was a tiny four berth tourer, can’t believe we all fitted in it!

We were both 31, children were two and three.

We took it to France and everyone thought we were bonkers, the two children strapped in the back of the car with their dummies and blankies and an Argos catalogue were as good as gold.

Those two children are 40 and 41 now.

• Like 1

24, I’m now 51. Overseas holidays have no appeal.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB