Watching the David Walliam's Who Do You Think You Are the other day I was surprised to see him do a search and come up with a copy of a marriage certificate.

I have been doing family history for years and have a subscription to Find My Past but have never seen copies of the actual certificates available other than paying for one to be sent to me. Does anyone know which site he would have used to see one on line?

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

No idea, but have you tried    www.myheritage.com   ?

They are a rival organisation who may be able/have access to/charge for different items.

I don't use them, but a relative does.

very often you can pick up certificates for free by going into / onto other peoples / members trees. I've been on ancestry for years, but I don't look in too often  as my tree has so many branches now, it gets more difficult to check.

I have often thought about trying to piece together a family tree, but unfortunately most have died along with their knowledge and I wouldn't even know where to start.

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

4 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

I have often thought about trying to piece together a family tree, but unfortunately most have died along with their knowledge and I wouldn't even know where to start.

start with what you know, who you know, places you've heard the family Talk about, and keep an open mind as you may find a few skeletons in the cupboard. :o

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1
6 minutes ago, joanie said:

start with what you know, who you know, places you've heard the family Talk about, and keep an open mind as you may find a few skeletons in the cupboard. :o

Thanks Joanie, I may give it a try at some point.

Thanks Daviat92 I have a friend who used My heritage and I will ask him.

Hort2074 I just wanted to find out who was the uncle my mum had told me about who committed suicide at the grave of his daughter a year to the day that she died. There was a bit of poetic licence there but he did commit suicide a year to the day that she died and researching that started me on a fantastic journey of discovery. Since then I have done research for people in the village where I live. I just love the search.

If you know anyone's name who would have been alive in 1911 the census of that year is a good place to start and the 1921 one comes out next year.

33 minutes ago, LongTimeCaravaner said:

Watching the David Walliam's Who Do You Think You Are the other day I was surprised to see him do a search and come up with a copy of a marriage certificate.

I have been doing family history for years and have a subscription to Find My Past but have never seen copies of the actual certificates available other than paying for one to be sent to me. Does anyone know which site he would have used to see one on line?

I think he was searching an account (Ancestry.com?) that the previously obtained certificate had been uploaded to.

You have to understand how the programme is made. Researchers are employed to obtain all the information, documentation and identify "local" experts many months, even a year or more, in advance. The celebrity is then led through the points of interest as if they had done the research.

4 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

I think he was searching an account (Ancestry.com?) that the previously obtained certificate had been uploaded to.

You have to understand how the programme is made. Researchers are employed to obtain all the information, documentation and identify "local" experts many months, even a year or more, in advance. The celebrity is then led through the points of interest as if they had done the research.

I think that could well be the answer. Thank you.

Before Covid you could use Ancestry for free at the library by booking a computer there.

13 minutes ago, LongTimeCaravaner said:

Hort2074 I just wanted to find out who was the uncle my mum had told me about who committed suicide at the grave of his daughter a year to the day that she died. There was a bit of poetic licence there but he did commit suicide a year to the day that she died and researching that started me on a fantastic journey of discovery. Since then I have done research for people in the village where I live. I just love the search.

If you know anyone's name who would have been alive in 1911 the census of that year is a good place to start and the 1921 one comes out next year.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I only have two living close relatives that I know about, my mother and her sister (my auntie). 

I was an only child, my auntie never married, my dad was an only child and I only know my grandparents names, no dates. 

5 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I only have two living close relatives that I know about, my mother and her sister (my auntie). 

I was an only child, my auntie never married, my dad was an only child and I only know my grandparents names, no dates. 

If you like to private message me all four names and dates of birth and where if known I will have a go at getting you started as I love a challenge. Can't promise anything but I will have a go.

10 minutes ago, LongTimeCaravaner said:

If you like to private message me all four names and dates of birth and where if known I will have a go at getting you started as I love a challenge. Can't promise anything but I will have a go.

That's very kind of you, I'll do just that.

You can expect to pay for certificates, but they are available starting about 70 years ago and generally contain more info than you already hold. Getting hold of later certificates which may hold details of people still living is much more difficult.

Research is generally interesting and sometimes surprising. More often than not the various sites will tie you into research that others have done, so sometimes you can go back many years almost at a stroke.

In my case it lead to a book that had been published, tracking on of my ancestors back to the first Baron  of Nantwich who came over with William the Conqueror's occupation force in 1068 (1066 was the invasion force, the occupation force was a couple of years later.).

try the 1939 register as well as the  uk census . You may find the ancestry.com will allow a weekend free around the 11th November so you can check out your ancestor who fought and died in the  world wars. 

I wanted a copy of my deceased dad's birth certificate from Ulster. I knew all the info needed.

When it arrived, the surname was spelt wrong!

I rang the office that issued it, and they checked the original entry and said it was a correct copy, but spelling mistakes  are not too uncommon.

I asked how I got this corrected and they said they would need some other documentation, such as his Baptismal Certificate. Fortunately I have a distant relative who is into all this stuff and asked him.

The Baptismal Cert copy came back within the hour because he already had a copy!

Birth Certificate now officially corrected.

Who knows what you may find out!

Edited by daveat92
43 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

I wanted a copy of my deceased dad's birth certificate from Ulster. I knew all the info needed.

When it arrived, the surname was spelt wrong!

I rang the office that issued it, and they checked the original entry and said it was a correct copy, but spelling mistakes  are not too uncommon.

I asked how I got this corrected and they said they would need some other documentation, such as his Baptismal Certificate. Fortunately I have a distant relative who is into all this stuff and asked him.

The Baptismal Cert copy came back within the hour because he already had a copy!

Birth Certificate now officially corrected.

Who knows what you may find out!

Compulsory free education is surprisingly recent and levels of illiteracy were incredibly high until as late as the mid 20th century. A great many birth, marriage and death registrations were made without any knowledge of how previous generations spelled the same names

4 hours ago, LongTimeCaravaner said:

… Before Covid you could use Ancestry for free at the library by booking a computer there.

LTC, our local libraries (Cheshire) moved everything to on-line whilst they were locked down, so we were still able to use the family history sites by logging in at home with our library cards … and didn’t have a one hour limit 🙂.

I only found this out by accident, so it might be worth checking out with your local library.

They also gave free access to e-magazines and e-books.

John

Using the genealogy websites only gives you the reference number for a certificate.

If you want to register and apply for a certificate you need to go to this website...

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

You can purchase a printed copy or get a cheaper pdf version.

It’s important to make sure you have the exact reference or you can end up buying a certificate with the wrong person.

You need to know the year, quarter, name , registration district, volume, page number as highlighted on the pic below.

For a marriage certificate, BOTH parties will have the same reference number. If you know both names it’s a way of checking you have the right couple before ordering.

B6BE7038-68E5-4AE7-ADC7-5448DF6648E3.jpeg

Edited by ericfield
2 hours ago, Stevan said:

Compulsory free education is surprisingly recent and levels of illiteracy were incredibly high until as late as the mid 20th century. A great many birth, marriage and death registrations were made without any knowledge of how previous generations spelled the same names

When you get back into the 17th century, the clergy were no better at spelling. It was often phonetic, even twisted by the accent the parishioner had. What’s even more fascinating is the vicars often added comments IN the register. Unfortunately modern websites like Ancestry don’t always give access to this other recorded aspect of social history. For example in the registers of Corringham, Lincolnshire in 1610, the marriage of a young couple, who clearly couldn’t read or write, took place. The record reads...

’marryed this daye Johan Aynes and Mary Eels, a whore and a vagabond”

You could just imagine them gratefully saying “thank ye vicar” and dashing off to their married life, blissful unaware of local,opinion.

Although Internet searching is quicker and easier, you cannot beat reading the original records ....so much is missed off and gotten plainly wrong during the transcription. 

One final point, the best website to use in my experience is Findmypast. Better interface, and more complete record set than Ancestry, Family Search and My Heritage. For example when Kent records were digitised and copies sold to Ancestry et al, the record office missed a whole section of records they uncovered 2 years later. Kent RO approached the websites to offer the new section but only Findmypast agreed to pay the extra fee. So only Findmypast has the complete set of Kent records.  

I am not connected with this website....just been an amateur genealogist for 40years.

Edited by ericfield
13 hours ago, Will deBeast said:

One branch of our family tree are 'Halford'.  But variously spelt 'Alford', ''Hallford', Hulford', etc.  Made the searches a bit tricky.

One of the best ways of searching these online databases is to use wildcards because they can often miss obvious spelling variations despite using the sounds like and similar options.  For example some of my ancestors had the surname Sykes.  Ancestry omitted Syke in one search!

Another surname I have is Cawkwell. There are at least 15 name spelling variations I have found.

So when searching Findmypast I input just ...... C*ell.
(Because all name variation start with a C and end in ell.)

Yes it throws up a whole load of other names that have the same arrangement of letters but with Findmypast as you can sort the fields of the returned searches (eg by Surname) it’s easy to skip through the irrelevant names.

I find this absolutely fascinating.

LongTimeCaravaner has already found more about my family than I could have imagined, even a document written by my great grandfather. I thank her very much for taking the time to help me.

Exciting times.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

I find this absolutely fascinating.

LongTimeCaravaner has already found more about my family than I could have imagined, even a document written by my great grandfather. I thank her very much for taking the time to help me.

Exciting times.

sounds like you're hooked now, be careful as it can take over your life, a lot like caravanning:) but keep an open mind. I used to help other folk get started bit one chap was in denial of some of the things I found and wouldn't accept that there were secrets in his family

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, joanie said:

sounds like you're hooked now, be careful as it can take over your life, a lot like caravanning:) but keep an open mind. I used to help other folk get started bit one chap was in denial of some of the things I found and wouldn't accept that there were secrets in his family

I am a little hooked if I'm honest, but it certainly won't take over my life. I just find it very interesting but unfortunately running my own business and having a young daughter, doesn't leave much time for much else (apart from caravanning of course).

I'm not in the slightest bit bothered what comes up, I'm sure there are secrets in most families. My family (now) is so small, nobody would really care too much if my GGGF was hanged for something sinister. Be great to know though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joanie said:

Agreed, we all dream of finding ourselves descended from royalty and inheriting a fortune. In reality we are more likely to find that gg grandfather was a bigamist, his brother was deported for sheep stealing and that their mother never married!

• Haha 2