Cleaning Buccaneer Shimla upholstery

Nah then!

Has anyone cleaned the upholstery on a 2020 Commodore? The backs of our front dinettes could do with a slight freshen up where the dog leans on them. Its only just noticeable but I don't want it to become a project further down the line. What do you use?   Might sound a stupid question but I need something gentle and don't want to 'fluff' up the fabric surface.  What is your modus operandi ?

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers all! 

You need to use a throw for the dog. 

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Bit disappointed that there isn't any positive advice out there! :(

I must apologise on behalf of the membership that there is no one sat around waiting for you to post your question, and to respond immediately to it!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 1

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Try a can of aerosol carpet cleaner, then keep the dog OFF the upholstery and the problem will not reoccur :rolleyes:

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

I have found that whatever I use on upholstery it never gets rid of the whole stain. I now use a local upholstery cleaning firm who charge £30 and do a much better job than I can.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Does the 2020 Buccaneer not have ‘stainguarded’ fabric on the seats? Have you tried a clean cloth and warm soapy water as if seats have been treated any marks should wipe off fairly easily. Using anything too harsh may remove the treatment applied.

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

Hope you get it sorted yorky then take Wispy's advice.

23 hours ago, WispMan said:

You need to use a throw for the dog. 

20201021_081815.thumb.png.67404a8714ba446f12e83b48a7b0d28e.png

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

I use a karcher valeting machine and with the correct chemicals this is wonderful but maybe a bit harsh for yours.

I have had quite a bit of success in the past with autoglym upholstery cleaner, just spray on and wipe off. Not as harsh as some others particularly the aerosol foam types

good luck

Ask in your local upholstery supplier?

Agree, use a dog throw. Throw them outside!

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, yorkyguy said:

Bit disappointed that there isn't any positive advice out there! :(

the throw was very good advice, I have always used them even though I have poodles.  However, back to your problem in hand, as said, try a damp cloth first, then onto a tiny bit of wash up liquid added to the water in case the stain is greasy from the dog's coat, after that a proprietary brand,  then come back and tell us how you got on.:)

14 minutes ago, joanie said:

try a damp cloth first, then onto a tiny bit of wash up liquid added to the water in case the stain is greasy from the dog's coat, after that a proprietary brand,  then come back and tell us how you got on.:)

Why use washing up liquid in preference to a branded upholstery cleaner, surely using the correct product first is the way to do it.

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

10 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Why use washing up liquid in preference to a branded upholstery cleaner, surely using the correct product first is the way to do it.

if it's a small stain and it's a greasy stain from the dog's coat, sometimes a little bit of wash up liquid in a bit of water will be enough to remove it as the wash up liquid is made to remove grease.  Anyway don't you ever try other things first before setting off to the shops?

• I agree completely 1
14 minutes ago, joanie said:

if it's a small stain and it's a greasy stain from the dog's coat, sometimes a little bit of wash up liquid in a bit of water will be enough to remove it as the wash up liquid is made to remove grease.  Anyway don't you ever try other things first before setting off to the shops?

No, I buy the cleaning product that is specifically for the job, that is the point of them making it.

Washing up liquid is for washing pots and pans, upholstery cleaner is for cleaning upholstery, car shampoo is for cleaning cars, leather restorer is for applying to leather, carpet cleaner is for cleaning carpets.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

No, I buy the cleaning product that is specifically for the job, that is the point of them making it.

Washing up liquid is for washing pots and pans, upholstery cleaner is for cleaning upholstery, car shampoo is for cleaning cars, leather restorer is for applying to leather, carpet cleaner is for cleaning carpets.

The point of them making it is to make money. Some products work, some are just a waste of time and effort, but a tribute to a marketing agencies skill.

Apparently plain ( and cheap) white household vinegar is the best cleaning agent of all.

4 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

The point of them making it is to make money. Some products work, some are just a waste of time and effort, but a tribute to a marketing agencies skill.

Apparently plain ( and cheap) white household vinegar is the best cleaning agent of all.

If that's what you want believe then so be it.

White household vinegar also leaves things smelling like a chip shop, unless of course you apply a dab of washing up liquid on a damp cloth to remove it!

On 20/10/2020 at 08:14, yorkyguy said:

Nah then!

Has anyone cleaned the upholstery on a 2020 Commodore? The backs of our front dinettes could do with a slight freshen up where the dog leans on them. Its only just noticeable but I don't want it to become a project further down the line. What do you use?   Might sound a stupid question but I need something gentle and don't want to 'fluff' up the fabric surface.  What is your modus operandi ?

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers all! 

https://www.plumbs.co.uk/find-inspiration/blog/how-to/how-to-clean-a-fabric-sofa-naturally/ 

this may help, it's from the experts at Plumbs

• I agree completely 1

I'd personally be asking Elddis about cleaning. 
If you just use anything to try and clean them and it goes pear shaped, you could invalidate any warranty that goes with them. 

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

32 minutes ago, joanie said:

That's excellent. I've saved that article for future reference. Thanks

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grandpa Steve said:

If that's what you want believe then so be it.

White household vinegar also leaves things smelling like a chip shop, unless of course you apply a dab of washing up liquid on a damp cloth to remove it!

my chip shop smells of frying fat rather than vinegar, perhaps someone dropped a bottle of the stuff last time you were in?

I work in the manufacturing industry, you'll be surprised at the science and money spent  in marketing and packaging to entice people to buy products which are basically water with a few chemicals added.

" New improved formula" must be the biggest con on the planet.

• I agree completely 2

Though not very helpful this is what is in the Buccaneer Handbook:

"Care of Your Caravan

Upholstery
Remove dust on a regular basis with your
vacuum’s upholstery or drape attachment. Try
to avoid brushing fabric covers because that
can damage the pile.
Only use an upholstery brush on the
upholstery, never use any other type of brush
to clean the upholstery as this may damage the
pile. Avoid detergents which may damage the
fabric’s protection. Use a sponge or a clean
white cloth but do not wash or rub the fabric.
Leave to dry in normal conditions. These
actions will not affect the Fire Retardent
treatment of the fabric.
Heavy soiling will require professional cleaning.
All fabrics will fade to some degree if exposed
to direct sunlight.
Dyes from a number of sources, such as
newspapers, jeans etc could stain your
upholstery if placed on the upholstery when
either the upholstery or other item is damp. It
isn’t alway easy to avoid that from happening,
however, proper ventilation can help. Try to
keep pets off the upholstery and be careful of
sharp objects such as belt buckles, toys and
watch straps snagging the fabric. If snags do
occur, carefully cut off the loose ends with
scissors or tuck back in - do not pull them
under any circumstances. "

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Try a can of aerosol carpet cleaner, then keep the dog OFF the upholstery and the problem will not reoccur :rolleyes:

With respect that is extremely poor advice. Carpets are carpets and uphostery fabric is just that, one goes on the floor and the other goes on furniture/soft funishings.

CONSULT with Elddis and or the manufacture of the  fabric including the the company that made the cushions.

They are made in totally  diferent ways and with different yarns and fibres.

If the fabric is a 'pile' fabric as opposed to a flat weave then there should be very different guide lines given as to the cleaning method and the 

Create an unforgiveable mess at the peril of your wallet !!:unsure:

My guess is the the fabric is from for one of the ranges by Romo Fabrics from Nottingham - it might be prudent trying a phone call to them before making a total 'pigs ear' of the interior.

Edited by AWanderingLancastrian
Additional info
  • Like 1

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.