Can anyone identify what this cable is for? It doesn't look right. Is it a brake cable?

IMG_20201018_150443.jpg

IMG_20201018_150454.jpg

Underneath the caravan. Too wet though to get under just now so I thought someone would know.

would it be the old 12s 12n towing electrics?  just a suggestion as I'm just guessing

Edited by joanie

Interesting to see where it goes, the outer does look a bit like Bowden cable , the flexible cable for brakes on vans, but the end fitting looks odd, all fittings are usually swaged on brake cables and not held on with a grub screw as in the photo, unless an old cable has snapped and someone has attempted a repair.

Out of interest, do the brakes work ?

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

I would certainly get the brakes checked before towing the caravan.

• I do not understand 1

To me it looks like something that would be put into a drill chuck and spun around, I have something very similar on my flexidrive

Bailey Pageant Bretagne Series 6 - LR Discovery Td5 Auto

It is certainly not anything commonly fitted to caravans as it stands.

To have any real idea, we need to know what sort of cable it is. Bowden cable? Electrical cable? Something else?

And what the other end connects to.

It might also be relevant what age of caravan and what type.

The fitting on the end does not look right for either a Bowden cable or an electric cable.

If the other end is bolted to the chassis it could be an end to fit into an earthing spike where someone was paranoid about lightning protection.

Oh yes, they do exist - like those that put a sand fire bucket outside there caravan first thing when they arrive on site. (We even saw a fire extinguisher standing clear of a caravan on a site this year!)

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

59 minutes ago, AndyPoole said:

To me it looks like something that would be put into a drill chuck and spun around, I have something very similar on my flexidrive

Yes, I thought similar at first view, also similar to the old rev counter or speedo cables, pity the inner cable isn't visible, it's construction would give an indication if the cable is for pulling or rotary functions.

On the second photo there looks to be some faint writing which could be a part number.

The plot thickens. 🤔

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

My guess would be a brake cable that's come adrift from a clevis.

If you can, have a look under the A frame just aft of the hitch and handbrake.  There may be a connecting piece or a clevis that looking for something to connect to.

Looks like a tv lead to me possible for a mast mounted on the jockey wheel clamp?

3 minutes ago, 635mwd said:

Looks like a tv lead to me possible for a mast mounted on the jockey wheel clamp?

The black cylindrical bit looks like a signal noise filter.

17 minutes ago, 635mwd said:

In which case it will be coax cable and the other end will likely be inside the van, probably a TV aerial socket.

I hope it's a TV aerial and not brake related. It's been pouring down all day so I'll wait until Thursday and have a proper look. 

Looking closer the TV coax is a good shout, the cable outer sheath also appears to have writing on it as per coax. The pin also looks to be of the TV connection size compared to the jockey wheel clamp. It could always be the activation lead for the ejector seat.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

16 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

Looking closer the TV coax is a good shout, the cable outer sheath also appears to have writing on it as per coax. The pin also looks to be of the TV connection size compared to the jockey wheel clamp. It could always be the activation lead for the ejector seat.

Just had another glance at it when I spotted your post, some electrical connection could be a possibility but it looks too big for coax. the jockey wheel clamp will be around 4mm, the post on the connector appears in comparison to be around 4mm. which is approx. twice the dia of the male terminal in a normal coax  plug/socket set up.

On 20/10/2020 at 11:46, 635mwd said:

My thoughts also, see a few oldies with masts clamped to A frames where a joint would be needed to complete the setup.

Come on Argyll, get it into gear, the suspense on these matters.........:P

• Haha 1

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

2 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Just had another glance at it when I spotted your post, some electrical connection could be a possibility but it looks too big for coax. the jockey wheel clamp will be around 4mm, the post on the connector appears in comparison to be around 4mm. which is approx. twice the dia of the male terminal in a normal coax  plug/socket set up.

It could well be a female connector with the male on the trailing lead from the mast.

It does bear a passing resemblance to the inner section of a co-ax plug.

6 minutes ago, Stevan said:

It could well be a female connector with the male on the trailing lead from the mast.

It does bear a passing resemblance to the inner section of a co-ax plug.

It looks like the male end of a coax plug, but it also looks like the end that terminates the inner core of a Bowden cable.

Perhaps a picture next to a scalable item such as a coin, so we can see the actual size might help!

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Unlike any TV / coax connector I've ever seen.  Few have a screw and then it's the tiniest easily stripped thing imaginable.  The dimensions are all wrong, judging by the jockey wheel clamp handle bar / thread (circa 10-12mm dia?).  In any case for a TV input it would tend to be a socket rather than a plug pin... and that is definitely a pin not a socket!

It might be something akin to a single pole welding connector (to match Woodentop's idea)?  But then the copper cable from it should have been obvious to the OP?  The photo isn't clear enough to see.  The cable markings may help if they can be read?

The flexi drive suggestion is also one that looks a good possibility?  But what for?  Perhaps a mod to to drive one of the front steadies if parked up against a wall?

Bowden cable ferrule?  You'd surely expect the end to be hollow for the cable to pass through with a screw-clamp?

Fascinating thread though.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Well I think this caravan has been parked up somewhere remote like Flyingdales in Yorkshire.  That cable was possibly once connected to one of the big domes whilst the LAC watched the footie. 

The flat on it makes it Look like an Amplifier reducer/connector like those used when kids install amplifiers and a boot full of speakers. Dont know why it should be where it is but they are often used for external PA systems aswell.974170949_Screenshot_20201022-055850_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.67a2a60ab04c792d62f92549231a83ba.jpg

Edited by Towtug
  • Thanks 1