I suppose it comes to us all!

Well I suppose that it has to happen,

We have been abroad every year since 1980. Both of us with previous partners.

Lizzie and I have been travelling in France, since we got together in 2005.

However, this dammed virus has put paid to this years couple of months in France.

So tonight we sat down to start planning next year.

Both of us instantly agreed, that due to the virus, and our increasing frailty France is very unlikely to happen!

A sad day!

But hey ho, lots of places in the Uk we have never been!

Who knows though!

We are keeping our options open!

• Like 1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I don’t think you are alone in that! We have pretty much decided the same, there are a lot of places in the U.K. we have been saying for years we ought to visit.  

Of course that all depends on us not being in yet another lock down of course B)

I fancy a trip up the East coast, Essex, Suffolk and head north till we get bored sounds a half reasonable trip. Trouble is will we need to book loads of campsites due to thousands having the same idea ?? On our trips to France we never book because we never know where we will be, which is a philosophy we rather enjoy. “This looks nice, let’s stay for a few days” is a common phrase. 

• Like 3

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

The UK is a fantastic country (albeit a bit wet sometimes). We have been holidaying pretty much exclusively in the UK for over 20 years and still love it. We’re currently in the caravan in Cheddar.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Yeah but, no but, yeah ........

We live just 20 miles from Poole ferry port which makes France sooooo close.......

and theres all that lovely wine wine and cheese, it’s so close I can hear it calling to me :(

• Haha 1

We are going to be more positive or should I say hopeful?

Planning to return to France in Sept 2021.....it’s got to be under control by then, hasnt it?

Can I borrow those rose tinted specs when you are done with them please? ;)

Edited by Mr Plodd

15 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Yeah but, no but, yeah ........

We live just 20 miles from Poole ferry port which makes France sooooo close.......

and theres all that lovely wine wine and cheese, it’s so close I can hear it calling to me :(

If we were closer we’d do the same, but a four hour (plus) drive to the port would see me ready to put the awning up already! I honestly think the current state of disruption is here for a few years so UK-bound it’ll be for us.

• I agree completely 2

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

We are also at the cross roads. We have been enjoying Summer and Winter tours in France, Spain, Portugal Germany for about 45 years, but our age and robustness is no match for this dreaded virus. We refuse to say we're beat yet and may (may) get there next year. We're not doomed yet Mannering! 

Ern

I'm still hopeful of a France trip in 2nd half of 2021, had UK holidays 4 out of last 6 years and love them but kids haven't done France since 2014 when they were little, really would like to take them if safe to do so.

We are back on our pitch in Santa Pola, Costa Brava and have spent two months of the summer in France: Millau and Annecy. I can honestly say that I have felt no more at risk here or in France than I was in the UK in September. I do realise that the problem for some at the moment, is the isolation requirement upon return to UK. Our Grand-daughter has had to cancel a trip to visit us but only because she cannot afford the time off work to self-isolate when she gets home. 

I love Grannies Heilan Hame up in Dornoch. I hired a static caravan there about 6 years ago and fell in love with the place. Saying that it was August and the weather was lovely. I'd guess I might fall out of love with it in the winter. 

We have been away in France & Spain since mid July & now at a campsite in the Dordogne. Slowly on our way home & ferry from Calais next week. Not much different from any other year except for masks in shops & so on.

We are late 60s but refused to lose a year out of our caravanning lives & glad we just went for it.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

We've been more than lucky this year, having been able to travel abroad twice and returning each time only days before our destination was declared a high risk area and we would have had to quarantine when we got home. I think our luck is about to run out though and it's going to have to be a gloomy winter at home. There's no way we're going to use the caravan in the cold.

It always amazed me when I was working just how many people, young and old only knew their local area and the airport. IMO  Britain has so much to offer

Edited by joanie
  • Like 1

We had our five weeks in France this year and felt as safe as we would have here in the UK. I have already booked Portsmouth to Santander and unless I am specifically informed that I cannot travel we will have six weeks in Spain and France in 2021. Caravanning in the UK is a no no for us. We did a week in Cornwall in 2017 for the  grandchildren,not for us thank you. Expensive,overcrowded,and of course WET !!

• I agree completely 1

There are plenty of places in the UK, not overcrowded,  with good independent shops selling local produce and areas to walk and enjoy.

I'm sure those of us who stay in the UK will enjoy finding new places, local foodstuffs they may not know about, and most importantly of all, helping the UK economy get back on it's feet.

• I agree completely 1

We have been in France for 8 weeks all the way down to Provence.  It was a big decision to go which we didn’t take lightly and we knew there would be the possibility of quarantine on return but as I’ve joined my husband and retired this wasn’t really a problem for us.  It was a different holiday, our Dutch friends couldn’t come into the zone we were in which turned red because it included Marseille yet this was over an hour from us and we certainly had no intention of visiting.   Many days we didn’t leave the site and just relaxed on our pitch and around the pool.   We also did not go and visit places we would usually as wanted to avoid any busy towns, cities and Provence markets.  We did visit small villages which had no infection rates or extremely low and wore masks all the time (as was instructed) so not just in shops. The campsite is always immaculate but they had extra cleaners and upped this cleaning to about 8 times a day. Absolutely spotless and everyone was particular in how they left facilities clean themselves.  The bar and restaurant was open and social distancing was observed. It did help that the temperature was in the 30s so everything we did was outside and dining and drinking was the same.  I don’t think we ate or drank indoors once either at our pitch our in local cafe/restaurants.   The journey on Eurotunnel was fine and as we store our van in France the two hotels stops en route down were a concern to us but again the regulations were quite strict and adhered to.  Once on site we didn’t once feel unsafe, crowded by anyone around us and even chose our time to visit the supermarket (lunch time) when it was empty but did support our small campsite shop a great deal.

Would we go again?  After our initial obvious concerns (we had a car full of cleaners/disinfectant and were prepared to use our own facilities which we don’t ever do), yes we’d go again. We have booked for next year but like others will review this nearer the time.  It’s just not a whim of a decision to go nowadays, our familiar holiday which we’ve done to France for many years now has to be a much much bigger decision and who knows what Covid or Brexit throws up next year but would love to get there.  

• I agree completely 2

We didn't go to France this year but plan to go next year,  if there are restrictions and extra hassles due to brexit, so  be it!

We have had a few breaks in UK between July and October which were great.

Van back in store but may get it out if we feel the need. Not half term though!

Edited by 664DaveS

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

May and June would normally be the months we would be abroad, but for 2021 we have booked through the CMC for 2 separate 2 week tours in GB in these months either side of Whitsun. We will keep reviewing the Covid situation abroad and these tours will be cancelled should we consider a ferry crossing to the Netherlands and a caravan tour abroad to be within our consideration of safe. 

Should we have to quarantine I don't see a problem as we rarely leave home in July and August. 

John.

12 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Can I borrow those rose tinted specs when you are done with them please? ;)

Glass half full sort of person. 👍 

If there isn’t some effective control by then, the last thing we will be worrying about is where we can holiday.

• I agree completely 1

When we had our tourer, for about ten years we spent two six week stints abroad, mainly France but also the rest of Europe.

Those were in May/June and September/October, the rest of the year we spent touring England, Scotland and Wales, all in all I reckon we spent probably pushing five months of the year in the caravan.

We’ve said so many times, if we hadn’t had the tourer I doubt we’d have seen even a quarter of of our own country, which would have been a great shame.

• I agree completely 1

At risk of upsetting folk I will just say this. We have largely ignored the whole Covid thing. Why? Because we we eat healthy veggie food, don’t drink alcohol  & are not overweight so not worried about getting it.  We hardly eat out anyway & just mostly doss around whatever campsite we are at. We are both 67.

Good thing about not really speaking any French or Spanish is that you don’t really know what is going on except what you see. Where others wear masks we wear them & that’s it really.

All our regular French campsites were almost as busy as they usually are  July/Aug & now in the Dordogne the site is pretty quiet as it normally is in October.

Our caravanning this year tbh has been little different from any other year.

2 hours ago, Bergamo said:

Many days we didn’t leave the site and just relaxed on our pitch and around the pool.   We also did not go and visit places we would usually as wanted to avoid any busy towns, cities and Provence markets.  We did visit small villages which had no infection rates or extremely low and wore masks all the time (as was instructed) so not just in shops.

Hi, the first part, where you Talk of the things you did not do, is what put us off bothering this year but interested how you knew where the rates were low?

Without wishing to sound like I am not bothered if I had to be checking all the time that would be another reason for not going. It is however the case that others have reported things pretty much as normal with the addition of the now accepted distancing /masks etc.

Like others I hope that 2021 is better and we are hoping that we will be able to get away but the issues that may prevent this are more likely to be things like insurance and restrictions such as lockdowns.

57 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Because we we eat healthy veggie food, don’t drink alcohol  & are not overweight so not worried about getting it. 

Wow-Didn't know it was so easy to avoid!

3 hours ago, Laurent said:

At risk of upsetting folk I will just say this. We have largely ignored the whole Covid thing. Why? Because we we eat healthy veggie food, don’t drink alcohol  & are not overweight so not worried about getting it. .

I have to say that I feel you are being a trifle naive if you choose to ignore the risks Covid pose to you. There is no evidence whatsoever that diet has the slightest effect on whether you might catch it or not. If you are unfortunate to catch it then you, like many, are in the group that is considered more vulnerable to the effects of it. 

There are reports of exceedingly fit young people (inc at least one doctor) who run marathons etc suffering severely from Covid and not being able to return to work for many months, so it’s no respecter of fitness levels. If someone in “our” age group (over 65) catches it then it is possible  they will suffer much more than someone much younger (and possibly succumb to it) 

Of course it’s personal choice, but I would suggest you carry out a bit if in depth research to acquaint yourself with the facts about Covid. 

• Like 1