What type of tyre? Twin axle 1705kg

Our Elddis Avante 636 2005 twin axle MTPLM 1705 kg came with 4 new 4 ply tyres rated 86H.

Our service engineer seems to think these need to be changed to 8 ply tyres - is that the case?

I doubt it.  If it was supplied as new with those tyres Elddis must deem them suitable. A bit of research shows Ply rating is outdated and old fashioned now and load rating is far more important.

H rated means  construction suited for130mph and load rated 86ie 530kg(per tyre)So max load if correctly pressure is 2120kg by my maths  and your tyres if within date are absolutely  fine. Your Avante should never exceed that!. I think your engineer may be trying to sell tyres but whatever think they are misinformed.

Edited by Jezzerb
1 minute ago, Jezzerb said:

I doubt it if it was supplied as new with those tyres Elddis deem them suitable.Ply rating is outdated and old fashioned now and load rating is far more important.

H rated means heavy duty construction ie light van and should be fine. I think your engineer may be trying to sell tyres but whatever think they are misinformed but others will know more.

Thank you so much. Weirdly he wasn't selling me tyres - said I could get them fro Kwikfit or the like.

H is the speed rating - 130mph?

No need because twin axle tyres are so lightly loaded. Our 1700kg twin axle Fleetwood has a tyre pressure of 32psi which is in car tyre range.

Contrasts our 1500kg single axle Vanroyce which had a pressure of 62psi if I recall correctly.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1
2 minutes ago, moorgate said:

Paul, your profile says Wells, Somerset, so pop along to Wells Tyre Service in the town and take their advice. 

will do tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, moorgate said:

Paul, your profile says Wells, Somerset, so pop along to Wells Tyre Service in the town and take their advice. 

Better taking manufacturers advice and looking in the owners manual.

• Like 1

So apart from having the correct load rating for the weight of the van is there anything special about caravan tyres??

20 minutes ago, limecc said:

Better taking manufacturers advice and looking in the owners manual.

Manual says 175/65 R14 82. 32psi. No mention of number of plys or speed rating.

Bailey have been known to get it wrong with tyres - or to be more exact their tyre supplier has!

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

1 hour ago, paulisabout said:

So apart from having the correct load rating for the weight of the van is there anything special about caravan tyres??

Only the fact that single axle caravans do require tyres with a very high load rating. A 1500kg caravan will be putting 750kg load on each tyre whereas a car (or twin axle caravan it’s going to be around 350-400kg per tyre. Go with the original fit spec (which will probably be standard car tyres due to the lower load being borne by each tyre) 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Spoke to Highbridge Caravans and Wells Tyres. Both said 4 ply are okay as long as the load rating is correct which it is. Apparently most new car tyres are 8 ply by default anyway.