Aquaroll mains adaptor questions - help & advice needed please...

We have used the Aquaroll mains adaptor since summer 2019 but this year the ball valve wouldn't turn off and continued to fill and overtop the aquaroll, I have since ordered a replacement ball valve and some extra Aquaroll hose but now pondering connections and would like some advice please:

- There are  2 orange connections on each end of the hosing but one of them has the word 'Stop' written on it see pics below.  I am wondering does the connector with stop connect to the ball valve or does it connect to the main tap?  As both will push onto the ball valve connector? Am I being totally stupid?

The other query I have is, now that I have two 7.5m hoses what type of connector do I need to connect the two hoses together to make one long 15m hose for when the tap is some distance away? 

Thanks

thensum

IMG_8890.JPG

IMG_8892.JPG

Edited by thensum

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

Stop end is on the hose furthest from the tap - so connected to ball valve (you an disconnect it with only a small bit of water loss, even with the tap 'on').

You need a double-ender / joiner to connect two hozelocks together https://www.hozelock.com/product/double-male-connector/ other makes are available.  Food grade plastics or other food safe materials are preferred by some.

Edited by Rodders53
  • Like 1

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

I prefer the stop-end to be connected to the tap. That way, I can disconnect the hose easily in order to fill the kettle or container.

The stop connectors have a valve fitted  to hold the pressure in the hose when you disconnect with the tap still on so not really a must in your case.

As rodders  says, just a double male coupler required to extend.

We had a 10 m length of hose but at the last so-called fully serviced pitch the tap was 15 m away so I had to go out and buy a hose.

At least you won't be caught out like that.

Just seen Eddie's post,        good point

• Like 1

Thanks for all the quick replies and great advice, as always the people on this forum are so helpful - so a big thanks.

It looks like the overtopping issue we had this year is down to a faulty ball valve as it appears we were connecting everything up OK with the stop connector at the Aquaroll ball valve inlet end.

I plan to pick up a male to male connector at the local garden centre this week ready for our next trip to Alderstead Heath CMC site on a service pitch.

Edited by thensum

When I purchased the Aquaroll mains water adapter kit plus the extension hose it didn't need a joining piece. The extension hose came with a male connection one end and female the other.

stock-copy-22.jpg

Edited by Legal Eagle

LE:   The joining piece enables extra length(s) of hose to be attached if your standard hose won't reach the tap.

• Like 1
Just now, CJ1149 said:

LE:   The joining piece enables extra length(s) of hose to be attached if your standard hose won't reach the tap.

I know what a joining piece does but the OP states he has the Aquaroll kit and extension hose (as per his picture). My point is the extension hose doesn't need a joining piece as it already has the required male connector on one end as per my photograph.

thensum: Have you forgotten to check that the float valve is the right way up? It has to float in the rising water to close the inlet valve, so have a look.

Ern

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I prefer the stop-end to be connected to the tap. That way, I can disconnect the hose easily in order to fill the kettle or container.

Have you ever tried disconnecting a tap connector when the hose is under pressure?? (1) it ain't easy and (2) if you do you will get a spurt of water out of it - usually either in your face or down your clothes or both!

25 minutes ago, Ern said:

thensum: Have you forgotten to check that the float valve is the right way up? It has to float in the rising water to close the inlet valve, so have a look.

The float valve can only go one way up as it is fixed in place on the cap during manufacture. You don't necessarily get the float horizontal when you screw it home but its usually only a bit out.

No-one has suggested disassembling the float valve assembly (dead easy) and making sure that there is no muck in it (very common) or that the diaphragm has not perforated or split. It uses standard balanced-pressure valve washers obtainable at any DIY shed.

As per the end fittings, mine has sockets both ends which is standard for Aquaroll pipes so a back-to-back male is required to connect two hoses together. It also has the advantage of permitting the coiled up hose to have its ends connected to each other which is cleaner for storage and stops the coil unwinding.

Edited by Woodentop

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

57 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

As per the end fittings, mine has sockets both ends which is standard for Aquaroll pipes so a back-to-back male is required to connect two hoses together. It also has the advantage of permitting the coiled up hose to have its ends connected to each other which is cleaner for storage and stops the coil unwinding.

Whilst the adapter kit hose has female sockets on each end, I can assure you that the Aquaroll extension hose is fitted with a male plug on one end and female socket on the other, just as in the photograph I added. I bought one only last year and used it on a serviced pitch.

• Like 1

And the ball cock could easily be upside down as it rotates as you screw it into the aquaroll. Quite tricky I find .

41 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

And the ball cock could easily be upside down as it rotates as you screw it into the aquaroll. Quite tricky I find .

On mine, there is a nut that tightens against the aquaroll cap, thereby allowing the ball valve to swivel.  Once it's set in the correct position and the nut tightened, it always goes back to that position once the aquaroll cap is screwed on.

Re removing the hose to use the tap to fill something else, I carry a 4-way tap splitter (and a roll of PTFE tape to stop leaks!) in my 'bits' box (about £16 on-line), thereby allowing me to use a normal hose connection on one of the other ports and, when on CLs etc that don't necessarily have dedicated service pitches,  it also allows anyone else who wants to plumb in, to do so.

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

On first use of the ball cock and when you are happy that all is working correctly simply scratch an 'X' on the tip of the screw.

Then in future you know all is well when the 'X' is upper most.

And an adapter like this that I got from ALDI for £2.00 so we can fill up the drinking water jug without disconnecting everything and a compact mini 5m hose cassette and yes, a bag of 'bits n bobs' to cover all connection types we may come across. Before anyone questions the 'non-food' hose, we would never consume any water that comes via the van pipes - have you ever seen what accumulates in side them after a couple of years - even with regular sterilising!

casse.jpg

2way.jpg

• Like 1

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

10 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

Whilst the adapter kit hose has female sockets on each end, I can assure you that the Aquaroll extension hose is fitted with a male plug on one end and female socket on the other, just as in the photograph I added. I bought one only last year and used it on a serviced pitch.

I have two and exactly as L.E. has described.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

When I purchased the Aquaroll mains water adapter kit plus the extension hose it didn't need a joining piece. The extension hose came with a male connection one end and female the other.

stock-copy-22.jpg

Hi there, as I ordered the 7.5m extension hose at £19.99 but the supplier I purchased from instead sent me a complete mains adaptor kit with ball valve (worth £40 nearly) instead I think this is what has confused me in terms of connecting the hose to my existing kit as I currently have two lengths of hose all with female connectors (4 female end connections) currently.  Looking at the connectors though I'm sure I can unscrew and remove one of female connector and replace with a male one as they sent me 2 male grey threaded.

So if I am to remove one of the female connectors from one end of the 'extension' hose does it matter if I remove the one with stop written on it or the other one, as I already have a 'stop' female connector on the original 7.5m where it push fits into the ball valve on the side of the aquaroll.  

If I change one end of the 'extension' hose to a male connector then I shouldn't need a male to male if we need to use more than 7.5m of hose.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm over complicating this but as I said above I think it's because I have ended up with 2 mains adaptor kits rather than one mains adaptor kit and one 7.5m extension hose kit as originally ordered.

The bonus I guess is they sent me a ball valve FOC so I have a spare now 😊

Edited by thensum

The 'Stop' female connector is the end you attach to the Aquaroll ball valve. You could, if you needed to, disconnect it but leave the tap on with no water escaping. It's  a feature Hozelock use so you can change accessories easily.

On the new hose remove the 'Stop' female socket and replace with a male connector. You have then replicated the extension hose you should have received.

Edited by Legal Eagle
21 hours ago, Eddie said:

That does absolutely nothing useful.  The non stop end connection achieves the same result.  Personally I'd consider fitting a twin outlet to the tap https://www.hozelock.com/product/dual-tap-connector/ IF I didn't just fill the kettle and drink happily from the caravan tap.

3 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

On the new hose remove the 'Stop' female socket and replace with a male connector. 

Never seem one of those;  can you provide a link to the item, please? 

• Like 1

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

2 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

That does absolutely nothing useful

It does you know - it stops you getting sprayed with the initial pressure inside the hose.

1 minute ago, Rodders53 said:

Never seem one of those;  can you provide a link to the item, please? 

Look at the picture of the extension hose I posted previously....it comes with one fitted.

1 minute ago, Legal Eagle said:

Look at the picture of the extension hose I posted previously....it comes with one fitted.

Sorry I missed that. 

It's actually two items assembled to make that functionality. 

Probably a LOT more expensive that the male double-ender I've suggested unless the OP has a pile of garden watering connector parts in a box to cobble one together for free?

36 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

Sorry I missed that. 

It's actually two items assembled to make that functionality. 

Probably a LOT more expensive that the male double-ender I've suggested unless the OP has a pile of garden watering connector parts in a box to cobble one together for free?

I believe the components that come with the ball valve kit are sufficient to assemble one. I can't check because my one, with my bag of bits, is in the caravan which is in storage.

Edited by Legal Eagle
7 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

The 'Stop' female connector is the end you attach to the Aquaroll ball valve. You could, if you needed to, disconnect it but leave the tap on with no water escaping. It's  a feature Hozelock use so you can change accessories easily.

On the new hose remove the 'Stop' female socket and replace with a male connector. You have then replicated the extension hose you should have received.

Thanks again for the reply, yes that's what I was thinking on the new hose to replicate the extension hose.