What are these called?

I'm systemically going through my newly bought second-hand caravan and rectifying faults. I noticed one of the screws is missing on a rear light panel. The rubber threaded grommet which receives the screw (M4 I think) is missing. 

What are they called?

IMG_20201018_150249_copy_1500x2000.jpg

IMG_20201018_150246_copy_1500x2000.jpg

IMG_20201018_150244_copy_1500x2000.jpg

Hi Argyll. I had the same problem with a caravan that I had a few years ago after some low-life helped him/her to my rear light cluster - I used a regular suitable size plastic Rawl  plug with a dab of silicone behind it.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Rivnuts or (sometimes) rubber nuts. 

As Alan's post. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

1 hour ago, Alan G H said:

make sure the brass nut is not going to turn within the rubber or you could be stuffed trying to remove the screw.

macafee2

It was these ones that I bought.   Also on ebay:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Caravan-Motorhome-Fixer-Rubber-Grommet-Screw-for-Rear-Light-Cluster-/224153704668?hash=item34309a18dc

Before finally tightening the screws, I smeared a wipe of vaseline on the thread first.

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

They are also called  "Well Nuts"

5 hours ago, WispMan said:

Rivnuts or (sometimes) rubber nuts. 

As Alan's post. 

No not Rivnuts, these are a totally different beast requiring a setting tool ( though can be done without the tool but not always successfully ).

A Rivnut, or stud, ( a nut gives you a female fitting, the stud gives you a male fitting )  is fixed by compressing part of the nut to fix it to whatever you are fixing it to and to prevent it from turning, similar to a pop rivet.

Yes they can be used on plastics with great care, but slightly too much pressure when fitting and the plastic splits.

They are  a fantastic bit of kit used in the correct way, for many things, I'm going through quite a few giving my son a lift doing his camper-van conversion.

Here's a little video showing how they are used, it may be handy for anyone who doesn't know how they work, or even of their existence and could and does,  provide the solution to a head scratching fixing problem.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes: