Drying towels in the caravan?

In the warm months and a full awning we dry our towels over the back of the chairs or on the rotary clothes line. However, in the colder months and only using the smaller awning we struggle to get the towels dry after showering. We have tried trapping the corners of them in the overhead lockers when we’re out for the day but they often end up on the floor.

Just wondering how others manage to dry them in case I’m missing something!

• Like 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Easy - we have an electric towel rail in the bathroom, rated at 60 watts it’s using less than half an amp. We keep it on all year round, even when the (Alda) heating is on. As we store at home it helps to keep the whole caravan dry and aired,, and warn socks and undies are a bonus !

• Like 2

Lunar Clubman SB 2013 following a Hyundai Tucson MHEV 4x4 2 ltr 185 hp Premium SE (2019)

Use a flannel to dry most of the wetness from you and then just finish off with your towel.

That way the towel won’t be nearly so wet and dries much easier.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

once you have showered you then wipe yourself down with a flannel before coming out of the shower into your toasty warm towel . The towel is hardly damp and that is easy to air out   and I see that Blackrat had beaten me to it :)

• Like 1

I too have fitted a light-weight towel rail in the bathroom.   It's only about 55 watts and have it powered through a timer switch giving 45 minutes on and 90 minutes off throughout the 24 hours.

• Like 1

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Microfibre towels for showers dried on 60w electric towel rail. Also use these towels for drying the shower area after use. I always refer to our towels as “personal wash leathers”.

John.

• Like 1

Thanks, a heated towel rail would be good but the bathroom layout is such that available wall space is minimal but I’ll have a measure and see.

You could pop it IN the shower after you used it as you're only drying towels or find a space somewhere? Dangerous if you were to let shower drip on it tho.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

You could pop it IN the shower after you used it as you're only drying towels or find a space somewhere? Dangerous if you were to let shower drip on it tho.

If I fitted one I would want it to be permanently mounted. I need to measure up the available wall space, I might be able to squeeze one in the side of the wardrobe 

• Like 1

Get a couple of plastic hooks designed to hook over the top of a door leaving you a free hook. Put these over the handle of your skylights and hang the towels on them, then go out for the day. The towels will be dry when you get back.

A good place to start looking is Lakeland.

• Like 3

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

27 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Get a couple of plastic hooks designed to hook over the top of a door leaving you a free hook. Put these over the handle of your skylights and hang the towels on them, then go out for the day. The towels will be dry when you get back.

A good place to start looking is Lakeland.

Good idea!

• Like 1

" . . . in the colder months . . . we struggle to get the towels dry after showering . . ."

I was puzzled by this as I don't recall ever being aware if towels not drying after use in the winter months, so before responding I raised your question with the fount of all knowledge - my wife. She replied by simply saying, "hang it up - walk away", and that summarised my thoughts too.

We did have an electric wall heater in the washroom of several caravans but with a centrally located washroom, our MHs have had no heating specifically for the shower area, so towels hung over the shower cubicle door, or an unheated towel rail, has been the norm for them to dry.

• Like 1

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Our daughter and I use a bathrobe plus bath towel, while Mr. D eschews such unmanly apparel and only uses a towel. Miss D's and my towel and robe never get particularly wet, as drying oneself is more evenly distributed iyswim. Whereas Mr. D's sole towel gets really damp.

Anyway, I have stuck three hooks to the washroom wall, to add to the two on the inside of the door. Two higher, one lower. On the lower one is a coat hanger  - the type with a horizontal bar - over which is hung the hand towel. On one of the higher hooks is another hanger of the same type, over which is hung Mr. D's bath towel.  On one of the hooks on the door is a hanger with my bathrobe on, next to it I hang my not soaking towel, just straight on the hook. 

In the twin bedroom, which our daughter uses, I put two hooks on the wall, one holds her bath towel, the other her robe on a hanger, like myself.

We find that they usually dry fairly well this way, no problem in summer when the air is warmer and drier. In autumn and winter the blown air heating is on which helps - one of the outlets allows for some of the  the warm air to be directed into the washroom. Also, I put an Aero 360 dehumidifier, which we had anyway, on the shelf below the washroom sink, which helps dry the towels in there. They're usually dry within 24 hours, ready for the next use. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gordon said:

" . . . in the colder months . . . we struggle to get the towels dry after showering . . ."

I was puzzled by this as I don't recall ever being aware if towels not drying after use in the winter months, so before responding I raised your question with the fount of all knowledge - my wife. She replied by simply saying, "hang it up - walk away", and that summarised my thoughts too.

The problem we have is there are three of us, my wife & daughter have long hair so each use two towels. Although I am a complete slap-head I’m like a bear from the ears down so also take a fair amount of drying. Seeing as I often go for a run or bike ride in the evening I have another quick shower afterwards. Our awning often resembles a laundry. In the warmer weather draping our towel collection over chairs sees them dry in a few hours, in the colder months they remain damp. Hanging them on a hook in the caravan only seems to work if they are on two hooks so they are stretched out.

I think we’ll try the micro fibre towels and see how we go along with the hooks from the roof lights. Or just buy more towels!

I have made what effectively look like large wire coat hangers the width of a towel and which are hung on cupboard handles. Made from some plastic pipe with string through them and a hook tied to the top of the string.

• Like 1

If we are going out for the day, we peg the towels sideways to the handles on the overhead lockers.  If not going out, we hang them in the toilet compartment and run a fan heater instead of the Truma blown air. Works every time.

• Like 1

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

We use microfibre swimming towels. Decathlon sells their own brand and they are excellent. They are compact and ilght and dry very fast. They also wash out easier so laundry is much reduced at home. We even use them in the bathrooms at home in the winter. We also use micro fibre hand towels and flannels and cleaning cloths - brilliant.

• Like 1

Ern

Hung up in the shower compartment with all the hot air blowing into there and the window in the toilet area open. Coats, towels whatever are dry in an hour. In our case, it helps that the space heater is less than a foot away.

• Like 1

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

As Ern says above.

Don't use cotton towels. They soak up far too much water and then take ages to dry, as well as being bulky.

Use travel towels which are lighter and dry much faster. They don't actually absorb the water, but remove it from your body. They are pretty wet when you've used them, but it's only on the outside of the fibres, so dries quickly.

I have used one in a site shower, waved it around a bit as I walk back back to the van, and by that time it's virtually dry!

• Like 1

Mrs Jim uses one of these in the caravan - takes up much less room and dries quickly on the towel radiator - hair turban. Swears by it and also looks better than a normal towel on your head if you come back from the site showers.

• Like 1

Another vote for an electric towel rail.

Stainless steel "dry" versions can be lightweight and consume little power - we leave ours on permanently when on site (so no good if you are a keen off-gridder!).

The plumbed-in water filled towel rails that are part of the Alde systems are good, but do have disadvantages:

* If you want to dry towels on this type of rail you need the heating on throughout the van whether it's needed or not.

* Once the rail is covered in towels they effectively insulate it reducing the heat it can transfer to your washroom on those cold mornings.

When I discovered that our centre washroom van had a radiator but no towel rail I was initially disappointed, but having fitted the additional electric towel rail we have the best of both worlds :)

c07.jpg

• Like 2
14 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

Thanks, a heated towel rail would be good but the bathroom layout is such that available wall space is minimal but I’ll have a measure and see.

You have the same van as me Gary. Wondering if a tall / narrow one would fit on the section of wall between the shower and bedroom door?

• Like 1

Towing: 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Tow Car: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

29 minutes ago, BM Bairn said:

You have the same van as me Gary. Wondering if a tall / narrow one would fit on the section of wall between the shower and bedroom door?

Yes, Ukzero’s post above seems to be the same layout with one placed there. I wanted to avoid mounting anything on an outside facing wall as getting screws to bite into the GRP skin and stay there can be a challenge but bonding it on as well might work. I will give this a serious look when we get back home.

We have a non-heated version of something like this in our caravan:-

https://www.dunelm.com/product/heated-airer-1000054170 

Ours came from Ikea many years ago. It is used mostly outside with a weight (tool box) on the foot to stop it blowing over. Allegedly it only rains every third day in this country, so outside drying should often be a possibility. Storage under our permanent bed with the folding chairs is not a problem. I think if I had to replace ours it would be with this. 

John.

18 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

I wanted to avoid mounting anything on an outside facing wall as getting screws to bite into the GRP skin and stay there can be a challenge but bonding it on as well might work. I will give this a serious look when we get back home.

I use these Molly fixings for most fittings into the inner skin of my caravan exterior walls:_

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Molly-Hollow-Metal-Cavity-Fixing/dp/B00G86LTAK

It's best to buy the setting tool as well for another £10. They used to be available in Homebase before any takeovers.

John.

Edited by John19
  • Like 1