Well I suppose I should have started here first but motor mover problems were my first though

I'm Kenny, with my wife we bought a late 2014/2015 swift ace statesman in our return to caravaning at the beginning of September,we managed our first shakedown trip to coniston two weeks ago and we're glad we took the plunge again

I'm a service engineer for bosch/siemens but my passion is shooting, I control deer for Scottish woodlands which is really interesting,  maintaining deer levels and ensuring they have everything they need to survive, we generally cull late October before the winter sets in looking for deer that would suffer or not survive the winter then we look again in early spring to look for one that have had a bad winter,strongest survive so to speak and we take on the role of predator as the dont have any in the wild anymore

Hope ive not offended anyone ,looking forward to long weekends in Scotland when all this Covid-19 is all over and done with

Stay safe and thanks again for all your help and advice

Kenny

IMG-20201002-WA0025.jpeg

• I agree completely 1

:welcome: to the forum. We personally are not offended, wife's great uncle used to do the same job up in the Highlands.

• Thanks 1

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

Proper management of semi-wildlife inevitably sometimes involves controlling numbers. If that's your bag, so be it!

• Thanks 1

I'm certainly not offended.  Deer do need culling, and taking out the weak ones is not cruel, but would be if left to their own devices, and would not survive anyway.  So, what happens with all the venison:D.

Anyway, Littlekengriff, welcome to the forum, and enjoy:welcome:

• Thanks 1

I think it very brave if you to detail what you do, and I respect you for it. I have a son in law who, up until a short while ago, was a game keeper on a large estate and I have always been impressed with his professionalism. He would never take a shot unless he was 100% sure that a single shot would “do the job” and I have little doubt you are the same. 

I live in Dorset and deer are becoming a serious pest, especially on the Isle of Purbeck. With no natural predators, if left to their own devices, they would become a much greater problem.

Apart from that I would also like to welcome you to this very active forum and I have just one bit of advice.

”There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a fool who doesn’t ask it” 

Andy

• Thanks 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Welcome to the forum. I do not object to shooting dear to keep their numbers down to prevent other environment problems. I find it far better than letting wolves loose, which is far more cruel and could cause problems for sheep and other animals. Having caused problems with eliminating species we have to adopt what policies are necessary to correct this.

• Thanks 1

Phew,😁😁😁

thanks for the positive replies,  its often  seen by misinformed eyes that we go out and commit wholesale slaughter, nothing could be further from the truth and I like to try and show the real side of compassionate deer management, its not just that I sometime get venison at the end of a trip, I love to see the deer living out their day to day lives and everything that goes with it

Thanks again 

Kenny

• Like 2

nothing strange about culling deer and I can sort of understand that you feel the need to educate people , if that's the right word. We used to live next to a country park that would close when they were culling the deer, but we could still hear the shooting. A great many of us are meat eaters and we like to think that all the animals are humanely killed. 

• Thanks 1