I’m going to do my c1 license

Hi, I’m going to do my c1 license, when I pass hopefully, am I able to tow a caravan as long as the weight of my car and caravan is no more than 7,500kg?

paul

• Grandpa Steve changed the title to I’m going to do my c1 license

No. You need B + E. C1 is for commercial  vehicles. 

Look at the back of your driving licence. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

50 minutes ago, Paul rose said:

Hi, I’m going to do my c1 license, when I pass hopefully, am I able to tow a caravan as long as the weight of my car and caravan is no more than 7,500kg?

paul

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

You would need to pass C1+E to gain B+E. If you just do C1, your B entitlement will not change. 

• Like 1
  • I do not understand 1
  • I agree completely 1

Go all the way and do C+E and drive artics as well as caravans. As other have said you need +E on whatever category to gain the towing part. 

So for example I have category C meaning I can drive any rigid lorry. But I need C+E to drive an articulated lorry or draw bar trailer. 

Generally you will only need a C1 licence if you are driving a motorhome with a plated weight in excess of 3500Kg but less than 7500Kg.

You will need a B+E licence if your total train weight is greater than 3500Kg but less than 7000Kg if you passed your test after 19 Jan 2013 (the trailer cannot be more than 3500Kg) or any weight trailer if you passed your test before that date but on or after 1st Jan 1997.

If you passed your test before 1 Jan 1997 you inherit grandparent rights which allow you to drive a vehicle up to 7500Kg with an unbraked trailer of up to 750Kg.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

2 hours ago, Paul rose said:

paul

A car cannot exceed 3500kg and a caravan cannot exceed 3500kg so the maximum GTW is 7000kg.

C1 entitlement is for a Commercial vehicle up to 7500kg.

2 hours ago, Ironeddie said:

Go all the way and do C+E and drive artics as well as caravans. As other have said you need +E on whatever category to gain the towing part. 

So for example I have category C meaning I can drive any rigid lorry. But I need C+E to drive an articulated lorry or draw bar trailer. 

Unfortunately you can no longer go straight to C + E, you have to do your cat C first, then do C + E.

This has been in for quite some time, my son has been driving trucks for a good few years now, and he had to do the staged tests (plus two retests as he failed both at the first attempt).

5 minutes ago, Alan G H said:

Unfortunately you can no longer go straight to C + E, you have to do your cat C first, then do C + E.

This has been in for quite some time, my son has been driving trucks for a good few years now, and he had to do the staged tests (plus two retests as he failed both at the first attempt).

Yeah I know. Was the case 3 years ago when I did my C. 

Probably should have been clearer on my post but also didn't expect to be taken seriously with that suggestion!  It would be a bit ott to pay out to get C then C+E because you want to tow a caravan haha. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Paul rose said:

Thanks after Looking into it more I only need a b+e and able to tow max weight 7000kg, but will depend on my cars towing weight allowed. 

You should also check your insurance policy. Some insurers specifically exclude caravans that weigh more than cars curb weight