12 v system is not working unless the mains is attached and charger switch on.

Hi you experts out there.      My 2009 Swift Conqueror 480 has a problem with the 12 v electrics.       Nothing works on the 12v  circuit unless the caravan is plugged    in  to the mains and the 12v charging unit witch on.       Nothing shows on the control panel above the door.        It means I cannot use the 'van unless there is a main electricity supply.     No more simple CLs.

I'm sure there must be a simple solution but, not being an expert in this field,  I'm hoping someone will point me in the right direction.

Many thanks and keep safe

Roboman

2009 Swift Conqueror 480 - 2004 Renault Laguna 2. 2

Your van is almost certainly using the Nordelettronica power distribution system which is very well known to be problematic (so much so it bankrupted the company).

Your best bet is ring Apuljack Engineering and speak to Paul or one of his colleagues who are expert in dealing with these systems.

Best to do it whilst in the van as they will Talk you through certain checks and they will pinpoint the problem.

They will also repair to better than new any faulty parts after you send them to them and they have a very fast turnaround.

http://www.apuljackengineering.co.uk/

Edited by Brecon
  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

I presume you have a fully charged battery fitted and that the battery posts and terminals are clean and tight ?

Next, in the van have you got a three way switched marked van, off, car, if so is it in the van position?

It looks like there is a fault, poor connection, between the battery and the power supply unit, or the PSU is faulty

There will be a fuse around the battery box area usually, but sometimes hidden in obscure places,in the + lead coming out of the battery box,  best to check this first if it's OK  then there is the possibility that it is elsewhere in the 12v  circuit favourite being the PSU but it could be anywhere between the two.

It's a process of elimination, often time consuming and awkward due to the location of wiring and components.

P.s. just spotted Brecons post ^  which gives excellent advice,

Edited by Silversurf

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

A PSU fault is unlikely since the 12v equipment works when the ehu is connected,

A battery fault is possible and a simple voltage check at the battery terminals will rule that in or out.

Most likely is a failed connection or blown fuse between battery and PSU. First step is to find and check the inline fuse, normally hidden away near, or underneath, the battery box.

• Like 1
  • I do not understand 1
4 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Most likely is a failed connection or blown fuse between battery and PSU

No its not.

The most likely fault with the Nord system is a failed relay, which is why I said contact the experts in this field !

• I agree completely 3
11 minutes ago, Stevan said:

A PSU fault is unlikely since the 12v equipment works when the ehu is connected,

A battery fault is possible and a simple voltage check at the battery terminals will rule that in or out.

Most likely is a failed connection or blown fuse between battery and PSU. First step is to find and check the inline fuse, normally hidden away near, or underneath, the battery box.

When on EHU, the 12v supply to 12v consumers , does as you state, come from the PSU.

However, when on battery power, the 12v from the battery  to 12v consumers comes through the  PSU .

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Wow! What  speedy  responses and various suggestions.    I forgot to say that my caravan mover works very well, so assume the battery is OK to be able to produce that power.    Also, when connected to the car - all the road lights work fine but there is no interior power.   Does this help?

1 hour ago, roboman said:

Wow! What  speedy  responses and various suggestions.    I forgot to say that my caravan mover works very well, so assume the battery is OK to be able to produce that power.    Also, when connected to the car - all the road lights work fine but there is no interior power.   Does this help?

That confirms that most of the electrics are working correctly and you probably have just one fault.

The fuse in the main + lead from the battery is my guess pure and simple. 
is the control panel lighting up ok on hook up but not battery. 

Yes the control panel lights up when on mains electric hook up , but is  completely dead when just on battery power.    I'll check later to try and find the fuse leading of the battery and take it from there.  Many thanks

If the advice from Brecon doesn’t work out, but a cheap volt meter and work backwards from the battery checking for 12 volts. Even if the inline fuse looks okay, check for corrosion on its contact faces.

• I agree completely 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

1 hour ago, GaryB1969 said:

If the advice from Brecon doesn’t work out, but a cheap volt meter and work backwards from the battery checking for 12 volts. Even if the inline fuse looks okay, check for corrosion on its contact faces.

Don't assume the fuse is capable of passing current even if it seems OK testing with a meter. Try another (preferably new) fuse.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

2 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

Even if the inline fuse looks okay, check for corrosion on its contact faces.

Had this exact issue with my in line solar charge fuse. 
fuse was ok,  but oxidation on the contact points prevented any current flowing. I cleaned the contact points, and put light smear of Vaseline on. 
Was only able to diagnose the problem with multimeter, finding volt drops

I have just tested the inline 20amp fuse from the battery and that is  working fine.

3 hours ago, roboman said:

I have just tested the inline 20amp fuse from the battery and that is  working fine.

Keep tracing backwards towards the control panel but I suspect Brecon’s advice will be the solution.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Many thanks.     I agree that Brecon's advice is going  to get this problem sorted, so many thanks Brecon.   I'll make contact with Apuljack  and discuss the matter.    Apuljack actually did an upgrade to my PCB in 2016.  They have recently moved their premises nearer to me, so hopefully  I could take the 'van to them.

Again, many thanks to all who have contributed  with your helpful suggestions.    This forum is obviously the first place to visit if you have a problem.