Is it legal to store a caravan on the front garden driveway?

I have been considering buying a semidetached house in Cheshire that was built about 1910 to 1920,

The neighbour adjoining the house in question has a rather large caravette parked in front of his/her house, There is a long driveway/garden in front of our houses, and they have parked it at right angles to their house.  This means that because it is so large it doesn't quite go on their land so it is overlapping by a couple of feet onto the garden in front of the house I am interested in.

The previous occupier was a frail elderly lady so the lady did not mind them parking on her land. There is no dividing fence between the two properties and they also park their rather big flashy car on this garden too. Although the driveway is big enough the point is that this caravan  looks unsightly and blocks the  view from the house and is a couple of feet over the boundary. The neighbours have two more cars parked on their driveway taking up all the space on their driveway so I assume that they always park their big flashy car on the  driveway of the house for sale.

How do I go about finding out if they are parking their caravan illegally?  Also I would want to tidy up the front so I would reinstate the front garden fence for starters.

I am wondering if I am doing right buying this house or am I buying a load of trouble and litigation?

If the boundary is clearly shown on the Land Registry then you have every right to insist that the neighbour does not encroach on your land.

The problem may arise that having parked as such for a period of time they think they have the right to continue and then the trouble may start.

You would need to insist that the Solicitor acting for you in the purchase makes it abundantly clear to the neighbour that they respect your boundary and not to park any vehicle on your land or driveway.

Edited by Brecon
  • I agree completely 2

The last thing you want when starting a relationship with new neighbours is a dispute over boundaries and parking!

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1
  • JanandJay changed the title to Is it legal to store a caravan on the front garden driveway?

Why not just speak to the neighbours? A lot cheaper than a solicitor's letter and more likely to get a favourable response.

It's not illegal to park on your OWN property, although a covenant may restrict it (unlikely for such an old house), but you have no right to park on someone else's.

If the caravette was moved the 2 feet would you still be happy seeing it there every time you look out for many years to come. The 3rd car is likely to end up parked on the road. Parking can get annoying after some time if it bothers you so would be something to consider if you decided to live there. With space being tight, any fence that was put up could get damaged frequently.

I think your references to “big flashy car” suggests an attitude that is going to cause problems for you wherever you go. They’ve probably got a nice cosy little arrangement with the current occupier who is  happy to have a car parked on her drive for security. Making them park their ‘rather large caravette(?)’ lengthways on their drive will make it even more visible to you and will be a source of irritation to you in the future.

Unless you thrive on confrontation I’d look elsewhere.

9 hours ago, Elizabeth Foster said:

I have been considering buying a semidetached house in Cheshire that was built about 1910 to 1920,

The neighbour adjoining the house in question has a rather large caravette parked in front of his/her house, There is a long driveway/garden in front of our houses, and they have parked it at right angles to their house.  This means that because it is so large it doesn't quite go on their land so it is overlapping by a couple of feet onto the garden in front of the house I am interested in.

The previous occupier was a frail elderly lady so the lady did not mind them parking on her land. There is no dividing fence between the two properties and they also park their rather big flashy car on this garden too. Although the driveway is big enough the point is that this caravan  looks unsightly and blocks the  view from the house and is a couple of feet over the boundary. The neighbours have two more cars parked on their driveway taking up all the space on their driveway so I assume that they always park their big flashy car on the  driveway of the house for sale.

How do I go about finding out if they are parking their caravan illegally?  Also I would want to tidy up the front so I would reinstate the front garden fence for starters.

I am wondering if I am doing right buying this house or am I buying a load of trouble and litigation?

Since you are more than likely to engage the services of a solicitor for the purchase of the property, that is who you should be asking. I note from your profile that you are not a caravaner and your language suggests you dislike them and "flashy cars". A caravan forum isn't the best place to ask!

Your solicitor will take these matters up with the vendor (through their solicitor) for them to sort out prior to, and as a condition of, sale completion. It should not be for you to resolve after moving in but for the vendor before selling. 

Edited by Legal Eagle
  • Like 2
  • I agree completely 1

Surely as you have not bought it yet at the stage you get very serious about buying this house you mention this to the seller and let them sort out why no fence and the overlapping.

• Like 1

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

The situation you describe could possibly turn ugly although could as easily turn out all friends, first thing would be to Talk to the people next door.  They may be all smiles to your face but unpleasant once you move in.

I am looking on the down side but if you walk away and find another property you may not put yourself through the stress and unhappiness. May be worth speaking to the estate agent about it.  My initial reaction is to walk away and find another property

The owners of the cars and caravanette are probably aware the property next door is up for sale and should realise other arrangements for parking will need to be made.

As for legal, check deeds and speak to council

macafee2

Edited by macafee2

Just curious..  what is a "big flashy car" ? 

Worried what neighbours and potential buyers in the area may be saying about us now... :mellow:

• Haha 1

As this is specifically regarding land and is a caravan relate because one is encroaching on someone else’s property this topic has been locked.

Legal Eagle has given the best advice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"