Caravan Clubs-Are they worth it?

As a recent owner of my first caravan I'm looking for insurance. Caravan Guard quoted £95 (2004 Swift Lifestyle) but if I joined The Camping and Caravanning Club at £41 their insurance is only about £70 so in real terms I get membership for £20. But are they worth it? Are the membership benefits real benefits or a con?

The reason I ask is I a few years ago I was told I receive a 20% discount from Jewsons. I got a price from Jewsons for some fencing and then presented them with my discount card assuming I'd get a further 20% off.

"The 20% discount has already been discounted" the lad said

"How can it if you didn't know I had this discount card" I replied

"Oh everyone gets that discount"

So it turned out it was a bit of a con. 

The clubs are not a con. If they were, they wouldn't survive in the caravanning world. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Don’t overlook that apart from various discounts via either club, they also provide exclusive access to CS & CL sites, as well as providing travel services, and insurance. 
They also provide very good technical advice. 

• I agree completely 1
5 minutes ago, Argyll said:

So what's the best club?

It's down to personal preference.   Try both and take your pick.   I used to belong to both,  but now just Caravan and Motorhome Club.

John.

Edited by Leedslad

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

14 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Don’t overlook that apart from various discounts via either club, they also provide exclusive access to CS & CL sites, as well as providing travel services, and insurance. 
They also provide very good technical advice. 

When I bought my Rexton back in 2014, I got a towbar with 13 pin electrics fitted free because I was a member of the CMC. I also get Mayday cover from the same club.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

46 minutes ago, Argyll said:

So what's the best club?

That's a hard question.

I guess the CCC if you want more families around on rallies and CS sites due to tenters might be more likely to be families.

I think the two clubs have same features.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

2 hours ago, Argyll said:

So what's the best club?

I'm a member of both.   But I find myself using the CMC more than CCC.   I prefer the CMC's insurance services and Red Pennant and tend to use more CMC CLs

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Also A member of both, use mainly CL/CS sites choosing based on location, have used both clubs main sites occasionally as well as commercial sites. Have my Caravan insurance thought CCC. If you look into the discounts offered by retailers etc they differ from both but can often save you more than the subscription per year. Hope you enjoy you caravan. 

• Thanks 1

I in my mid 30's and caravan with my caravaning cat all year.  Honda CRV '65' Plate 1.6 Diesel towing Swift Corniche 15/2E 1995  Hyundai Santa Fe towing Adria Dart (with weight upgrade to 1800 kg)

Another member of both, CMHC for nearly 45 years mainly rallying but use insurance, Mayday , sites and CLs, use the the CCC for winter rallies in Spain and Portugal.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

5 minutes ago, Argyll said:

What's Mayday sites?

Loads of acronyms flying about here for a newbie. What's CL&CM Sites?

Mayday is the CMC breakdown service, not a type of site. It's operated by Green Flag, but with some advantages over standard Green Flag.

CL sites are a maximum of 5 van sites, privately owned, and with varying facilities. Look on the CMH website for details, you can get lots of information without joining. You have to be a member to use CL's, but some of the main sites are open to anyone.

I think CS are the CCC equivilent, but I've never joined that club.

I am a member of the CMH club, but rarely use their own sites, as we prefer the CL's, or some commercial sites.

• Thanks 1

We joined both clubs when we bought our first van 3 years ago, but found we never used CCC for anything. The CMC on the other hand has been great as we regularly use their CL’s, as our children are grown up now we like the peace and quiet you get on a CL. 
We did get a quote for the CMC breakdown service, but found by going direct we got the same level of cover for 2/3 of the price. 

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

We love the Camping and Caravan Club (CCC) and to us they are certainly worth it. You only need to stay at one of their sites for 3 nights and the discount recived meets the annual membership cost, without the other benefits.

The Member line for  is fantastic too, website could be a bit faster but the staff are the phone are brilliant!!

Ted